Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone translate French --Speeding fine??

Poster: A snowHead
Switzerland is not part of the EU.

Very unlikely they will pursue you as too expensive. Possible that they might sell the debt on to U.K. Based debt collection service who would add significant fees.

Got two of these in Austria last year, just made money for rental company.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bar shaker wrote:
Out of interest, you don't get the '10% plus a bit' margin in France. One of mine was for 137km/h..

That's handy to know, I usually set the cruse at 149 (130+15%). Think I might bring that down to 135.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny996 wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
Out of interest, you don't get the '10% plus a bit' margin in France. One of mine was for 137km/h..

That's handy to know, I usually set the cruse at 149 (130+15%). Think I might bring that down to 135.

149 = 93mph? Your choice but that's way to much to avoid the polices attention. The official limit is around 80mph I just go with 85 on cruise and relax. On the other hand I have been done by the pesky speed cameras in places you least expect around town etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In France you get 5% correction.
Was 137 the corrected speed or the recorded speed?
Your French ticket will show both.
If it was the recorded speed you were super-unlucky as 136 would have kept you in the corrected window.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WindOfChange, I was pretty surprised too and it was this fine that prompted me to get the satnav. I've done just over 8000 miles ( Shocked ) in the 10 months since and had no more problems, despite driving 'briskly'.

I'm not sure if other retail companies are the same but with Europcar, you sign a document that allows them to bill your credit card for any fines that you do not pay. If you don't pay, not only would you have the fine deducted from your credit card, but I suspect you would risk being blacklisted from the hire company. Hire companies also share such info with each other, so I would pay my fines asap, if I got any more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker wrote:
@WindOfChange, I was pretty surprised too and it was this fine that prompted me to get the satnav. I've done just over 8000 miles ( Shocked ) in the 10 months since and had no more problems, despite driving 'briskly'.

I'm not sure if other retail companies are the same but with Europcar, you sign a document that allows them to bill your credit card for any fines that you do not pay. If you don't pay, not only would you have the fine deducted from your credit card, but I suspect you would risk being blacklisted from the hire company. Hire companies also share such info with each other, so I would pay my fines asap, if I got any more.

Its worse, they bill you a charge for processing the fine as they give the police your details and they charge you an admin fee for doing this. You then have to pay the police. You get hit twice. I know.................. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump
Just got a letter in the post for my French hire car over Xmas- was expecting it as I saw a flash approaching the border at Geneva.
Avis/Budget are charging me e70 admin fee for TWO speeding fines which I will receive in due course Sad Dunno where the second fine has come from, although I did two return trips to Geneva Sad

The tunnel at Moutier has a very active camera about two/thirds along activates at 70kph I know a couple of locals who have been caught.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boredsurfin, Will you need to inform your insurance company do you think?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:

I've driven that stretch of road a lot and still struggle to determine what the limit is, in parts. The signs seem to change frm 50 to 70 to 90 and back again on an almost random basis and can sometimes be almost impossible to spot. Or is that only me?

Is €45 still the standard rate for prompt payment? Puzzled

No that is normal, how else do they make money? (I've never been fined btw but it is hard to spot signs). Note, in town it is 50 or 30, that is every time you go though some pissant village with a sign with a red border around it like this:

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@red 27, Why? I was in another country, driving a car thats not mine etc etc
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

I've driven that stretch of road a lot and still struggle to determine what the limit is, in parts. The signs seem to change frm 50 to 70 to 90 and back again on an almost random basis and can sometimes be almost impossible to spot. Or is that only me?

No that is normal, how else do they make money? (I've never been fined btw but it is hard to spot signs). Note, in town it is 50 or 30, that is every time you go though some pissant village with a sign with a red border around it like this:

and soon to be reduced again from July?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

and soon to be reduced again from July?

ah yes, but not on all roads!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
@red 27, Why?

Well that's what I was asking you, really... I'm curious whether you (one) needs to under these circumstances.

Disclosure can be quite important should there be a £20k claim for writing off the motor (God forbid). They will look for any reason - and dig to any depths - to wriggle out of a big claim.

Insurance is - after all - about risk, and they might reasonably argue that your speeding convictions represent a heightened level of risk that they need to know about
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@red 27, Its a penalty not a conviction - no points or prosecution.
Even my last interaction with a speed camera in the UK resulted in my atandance on a How to drive faster safely course - which my Insurance company does not require me to declare - i know some do however.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just an update to my original post . I never did receive the Fine from the French authorities so therefore never paid it ,only the admin fee from Hertz .
latest report
@boredsurfin, there’s a 70 kph cam just as you pass Migros in Annemasse. Bit sneaky.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy