Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AUSTRIA - Best seasonal resorts/towns

Poster: A snowHead
I looking at doing a snowboard season in Austria (2016/17) where would be the top rated places to do a full season?
My preferences are,
POW/OFF PISTE
DROPS AND NATURAL FEATURES & ROCK GARDENS
PARK
TREES
INTERESTING TERAIN
TRUE AUSTRAIN EXPERIENCE
CHILL VIBES
DONT CARE FOR PARTY IM HERE TO RIDE
CULTURE
SKIIABLE TERRAIN

All suggestions appreciated Smile
Choice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello to you too!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck............thread closed!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anywhere up/down the Ziller Valley, its got the lot, and plenty of choice about the type of town/village you prefer to stay in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton / Lech.

It is the only worldclass resort in Austria.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, as usual ... complete shite.
Innsbruck is a good suggestion. Gives you enormous choice. If you want to be based in one resort then think about St. Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus, Saalbach or as has been said, one of the Zillertal villages.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Anton-Lech gets 5 times more snowfall and is up on the hill.

Innsbruck is a dull snowless valley town.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gladerunner999, do you want to be in a real town or a resort?

Innsbruck is rad and is the best place in the world to live. The terrain and resorts round it tick all your boxes - there are about 9 resorts on the Freizeiticket (+ 3 days in Ischgl and 3 in the Arlberg) which you can get for ~€400 when you register as living there (fine to do that for a couple of months - in fact you're supposed to!) or 90+ on the Tirol Snow Card. Easy to get to all the resorts on public transport, and there's a funicular train to the Nordkette ski area (think steep couloirs and only one piste) form the city centre.

There isn't really a seasonnaire scene though, if that's something you want. Obviously you also don't have the convenience of a bunch of lifts right on your doorstep.

If I was coming to Austria for one season I'd go to St Anton without a doubt. Which is actually what I did, but then fell in love with Innsbruck and stayed...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/8EE4alauiS4
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Laughing
Thanks y'all!
I was hoping for something more like a real town but with lifts within walking distance and also good snowcover in the town for opportunity to do some urban snowboarding.
I read a little about WARTH, sounded pretty good quite town and now attached to zurs and St Anton, any thoughts on Warth?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gladerunner999, Warth is good but is a village, not a town.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gladerunner999, tske a s look st somewhere like Schlsdmimg as well - loads of very knowledgeable snow heads in the area especially with regards to off-Piste and it is a proper working townwith good Rail and Road connections to other areas as well. It also has the backup of several glaciers including the Dachstein and Kitzsteinhorn
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schladming - not good for urban snowboarding though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang wrote:
@Gladerunner999, Warth is good but is a village, not a town.

Also not sure how much seasonnaire accommodation there will be - hotels all look like they are heading rapidly upmarket.
ski holidays
wTF is urban snowboarding when it's at home?@cad99uk, Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
wTF is urban snowboarding when it's at home?@cad99uk, Puzzled Puzzled

Rails,staircases,goalposts,acid drops from the roof of the Billa
snow report
Acid drops can also be obtained from https://www.handycandy.co.uk/acid-drops-p-1.html Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks y'all.
Yep so I'm now 90% sure on the Arlberg region, what town do you think has direct access to the best free ride terrain with natural hits and drops for pow days? Very Happy
snow conditions
All Arlberg resorts have excellent access to terrain.
From coming season, -due to the new connection being constructed this summer- Zürs and Stuben will have the best -central- location to cover the complete area.
Both Stuben and Zürs are very small, with Zürs extremely upmarket.
Warth is small as well, but has the highest European snowfall per season.
Lech and St.Anton are the most lively towns. St.Anton is upmarket, lots of skibums, very international and lively apres.
Lech very upmarket, but in Lech/Warth the terrain stays untracked the longest. (very much not so in St.Anton)

By the way: Arlberg is considering itself the "cradle of Alpine Skiing"
Snowboarding is a bit frowned upon, and definitely slowly going out of vogue (everywhere in the Alps)
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Snowboarding is a bit frowned upon, and definitely slowly going out of vogue (everywhere in the Alps)

I think you'll find though that the "snowboarding" section of this site isn't actually where people come to "frown upon" snowboarding. Trolls on the other hand may come for a quick snack.

Seriously, Austria's no different to anywhere else for snowboarding, in my experience. Everyone's polite and happy to take your money. They still have a bit of a tobacco problem, but it's getting better each season.
latest report
Gladerunner999 wrote:
Thanks y'all.
Yep so I'm now 90% sure on the Arlberg region, what town do you think has direct access to the best free ride terrain with natural hits and drops for pow days? Very Happy

Stuben without a doubt, BUT I don't think there are many people that would want to stay in Stuben for 4 months... It is very small and quiet! IMO St Anton is the only real option for longer stays, but if you're really happy to go full mountain mode and screw 'life,' Stuben could work. A friend normally spends 4-6 weeks or so there working with the ski school and on a film project. Would definitely be worth getting to know the younger instructor crew, as it seems many of them rip!

^^ While 'cradle of alpine skiing' may be the Arlberg's catch phrase, I've never noticed anyone 'frowning upon snowboarding' (though admittedly I'm a skier so probably wouldn't notice). Anyone who does is almost certainly a middle aged asshat who can't ski very well. Probably a favourite topic for tubby Schwaben in the sauna of the Gasthof Post in Lech though.
latest report
@Gladerunner999, I think you've fallen into the sucker punch "St Anton is awesome" Yo u will get way more bang for your bucks as a ski bum in other places more snowboarder-friendly than "Stanton" Take a look at the locations for the FIS World Freeride competitions in Austria before you finally commit. You can still experience St Anton, but probably at a fraction of the price of your current plan.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy