Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how do slalom skis ski as an all round ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

I've recently got a pair of 160cm Fischer Race SC skis, and have only used them indoors for gates at Xscape.

I have 1080s I tend to use as an all mountain ski, but I'm off to Les Carroz next weekend and was wondering to take both pairs??

So how would the Fischers hold up, I assume they will be great on piste, how about moguls, un-pisted stuff? On a typical day I'll ski anything on the mountain, inc off piste, for this trip I may not be off piste as much as it's with my wife who doesn't have peeps, shovel, probe etc.

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the same Fischer skis about two years old and have used them with no problem for on piste skiing in the bumps and the slush we skied in last year and I was very happy with the perfomance. Have not used them for true off piste although this year I have booked for some off piste lessons and I have been thinking that they are going to be too narrow under foot.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Regardless of the answers you receive, I would take them anyway and find out for yourself!

Apart from maybe deep powder, I would've thought a slalom ski would do a job in most conditions. I used a pair of Head Worldcup Supershapes recently which are (from what I can gather) a slalom model with extra width. The extra width was a big help off-piste, but it was alright through moguls. Give the Fischers a go - what have you got to lose?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, Take both - then you'll find out ! snowHead I'm a big fan of the 'ski anything on anything' school of thought....the slalom skis won't be as easy on the o/p as your 1080s, but they'll certainly be fun ! Just watch out for rocks - all that damage will slow you down back at Xscape Shocked

Why not ski with a 1080 on one foot and a Fischer on the other? - you'll certainly get some odd looks in the queue..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeh take both is the obvious choice, until you factor in Easyjet wanting £15 each way for a pair of skis Sad

One on each foot would be interesting Wink

regards

Greg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh, Well, the Fischer Race SC is softer than my WC SC, but mine are fine everywhere. Admittedly I have avoided breakable crust on them. They just slice straight through everything - don't really float though! Take them - loads better than the 1080! Bumps - mine are a little stiff, but very quick - only problem is occasional trouble getting both tips through the same narrow trough!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Put 'em both in a double bag and act dumb. Works for me.

I'm taking mine to Snowbird next weekend, that should be fun. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If your good enough to be skiing a race slalom ski then you should be able to ski any condition on or off piste regardless of what youve got on your feet....however I had been wondering this one myself as I am considering hiring an Slalom ski when in Tignes next week. I can see that modern slalom skis just cant be as good at higher speeds ie 40mph + as the older type of ski.

What I would say is that if you have only ever used a slalom ski at Xscape then you will have only used about 1/5 of the skis potential.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, I skied on them at xmas, you must take them. I thought they were great all round, and because there not that stiff you can cruse all day no problem just need to try the world cup, and the atomic SL11 and the ST11 and then i'll purchase some new skis Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers all, worth taking then!

How is the 1080 "worse" Charlotte? For me it's a decent all round ski, does well off piste, moguls, spring snow, slush etc, not so good on hard packed fast piste...

cheers,
Greg
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm about 140lbs and skied the Atomic SL 11 slalom skis(160 something in length) in a foot of fresh with no problem whatsoever - knees together old school style or carving it up. Also the one of the best ski I've skied on ice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks all, so I'm not a knees locked together old stylie skier at all, more a shoulder width apart guy on and off piste, so reckon on taking the 1080 and the Fischer and see how I go!

To be honest as an allround ski the 1080 suits me fine, on a good day the only time I'll be on piste will be to get to or from somewhere.

However with the weeks forecast and the fact I'm skiing with the missus who doesn't have peeps etc, I may be more on piste this weekend coming.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, Let us know how you get on....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In general I've always found slalom race skis way too stiff for all day use - especially if there are bumps involved. I don't think they make a great all-mountain ski. Depends on the exact model of course and your ability.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting thread .. I've got a 2 pairs of Fischer Race SC's 170cm .. one pair 4 years old, the other brand new.

I had the brand new pair in Mayrhofen in December when we had loads of powder .. they were great on the piste but I was struggling a bit in the really deep stuff.
Then went to Saalbach for New Year and as loads of snow was forecast, I took the old pair which are quite a bit softer. These were much better off-piste becuse of the lack of stiffess however one day I when it had been snowing all night I hired some Salomon Pocket Rockets and these were markedly better for the powder than the Fischers.

Then the weekend before last I took the brand new pair to Val d'Isere as the conditions were hard and icy .. they were fanatastic on the hard piste but not good in skied out off-piste or moguls.

Having done a bit of reading up about it since it seems the heavy cut of the carving ski is not suited to off-piste and I think I made a bit of a mistake buying another pair all though they are great on the piste.

I'm sure a fantastic skier can ski anything on anything but I'd rather make it as easy as possible for my self.

Greg, I'd take both pairs if you can ... I'm gonna get a pair of all mountain skis, when I can work out which ones to get, and get a double ski bag and some weights to bulk up so I can carry them!!
snow conditions
RichA, I would suggest that your SLs would be better all round that the pocket schmockets. Tried them in almost all conditions except powder and was distinctly unimpressed, but could see they would be awesome in nice deep snow.
latest report
gregh, Sorry - you said it - not so good on hard packed fast piste! The Fischers will do it all!! RichA, Pocket Rockets are great in breakable crust, but otherwise.... I'm really not a great skier, but good technique will see you right everywhere. Slalom skis rule!! Laughing Laughing (Of course I do now have my Zags for the off piste days....) NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
cheers Charlotte,

that's fine then 'cos I bought them to hardly ever use on hard packed fast piste Very Happy

If you weren't teaching and just out enjoying yourself skiing around on/off piste in powder/crud/spring snow/slush I guess you'd prefer to be on your Zags vs slalom skis though?

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
gregh, I took my SCs to Val d'I before Xmas but after looking at the bases of my 8000s after the first day I decided to keep them in the locker all week. If you take them off-piste at all you will find rocks and all that tender care you lavish on the SCs for Xscape will be wasted. Even this last weekend in Cham' with loads of snow around I was finding rocks in the o/p pretty regularly (to the extend that several of my Ptex fillings fell out). Ski the SCs on snow by all means, once you've checked that the pistes are pretty rock free, but please don't even think about taking them off piste! We keep on hearing from the anti-indoor/dry brigade about the damage those surfaces do, but I'd take that over a well(badly)-placed rock any day!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy