Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole 2017 season in Switzerland for Free

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, that's an interesting way of looking at it, and all true.

Despite that nixmap's offer does still appeal to me though. I've spent two winters living in a resort and not working, and might well do so again next winter. But I'd still be interested in staying with nixmap - the reasons being:
- quality of accommodation would likely be higher
- less organisation for me
- the social side! For me it would appear to be a nice balance between quiet alone time with an OH, and then social time with a few different people/ski partners around. (Not that I've ever lacked for 'social life' in Chamonix Shocked ) The cleaning, cooking etc would be mostly incidental for me (being slightly OCD about tidying, and loving cooking for groups).

Now that might not appeal or be the same for everyone, and of course people would need to know they'd get on with the OP, but given they only need one couple each year, and I think they've had some returners in previous years, it only really needs to appeal to a small amount of people to work!

(Not that I could even consider it this winter unfortunately, but maybe some year...)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great to see you're still going for it Nix , and like the others, if circumstances were slightly different, I'm sure I'd be interested. Still, this waffle does work as a thread marker...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A whole 42 sqm outside of town?
I think you could be on to something special there
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Keep trying Pam

But even by your usual standards thats a pretty weak.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fixx wrote:
The cleaning, cooking etc would be mostly incidental for me (being slightly OCD about tidying, and loving cooking for groups).

Exactly what we need
Your tidy habits would fit right in in Switzerland
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Will his linen ironing skills be required, for example? wink

Not really, we take our laundry home mostly other than linen
I have no clue if that means ironing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nixmap wrote:

Hmmmm. . . not quite as 'up-market' as I thought Confused Going the full 'Jeeves' includes ironing the sheets on the bed as it's made and they had better be at least 600tc Egyptian cotton or Irish linen . . . I'm beginning to think that perhaps Nix may be a little lax in his requirements . . . that may suit me as I'm having a hard time visualising him as a Bertie Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont think i have ever implied requirements are strict
Other than you can both ski well
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was really hoping we might be able to throw our names in the ring for this year @nixmap! My wife and I are both solid skiers, I've done several winter seasons in chalets and hotels and like to think we're fairly mature individuals. We're currently working our way back towards Europe by bike after living in Japan for 5 years. I don't think we'll make it to the Alps by the start of the winter season though. Maybe next year!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

we take our laundry home mostly other than linen

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm worried by the title. You cannot do something "for free" as "free" is not a noun. You can do it for fun or for payment, but not for free.

"Ski the season in Switzerland Free" would be a better title.

Fixx, I bet you don't lack for social life... but like you I'd rather spend the season with Nix than in Marcellus's chalet. I think I'd get rather bored with no purpose in life but to ski. Pamw, if you felt that strongly about the overtime, you could take Nix's job and pay somebody to come to clean... (but I bet it's more than £12 p/h in Switzerland.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@James the Last, I agree about "for free". It's occurring more and more frequently and is damned annoying if you care about grammar. And more to the point, it's not free. A better thread title would be "Ski the season in Switzerland in return for light housekeeping work".

I would get bored with no purpose in life but to ski, too. But I would prefer that my other purpose wasn't cleaning toilets and ovens. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
I would get bored with no purpose in life but to ski, too. But I would prefer that my other purpose wasn't cleaning toilets and ovens. wink
I would clean oven but not toilets.

Not for pay, that is. And certainly not "for free".
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My problem with cleaning ovens is that it takes forever. Cleaning toilets takes minutes. But I don't see either as being a "purpose in life", rather something you have to do from time to time, like cleaning windows and changing the duvet cover. People with a spot of cash often pay others to do such stuff for them.

Though, as the hymn says "Who sweeps a room as for Thy sake makes that and the action fine".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In general, I would happily clean kitchen, but much happily bathroom.

I like to cook. So keeping a kitchen clean is a constant action item. Cleaning oven takes time overall. Though not much worse in terms of my elbow time. The overall time is in soaking the cleaning agent through whatever was in the oven. Granted, if I'm the cook, I try my best not to make a mess in the kitchen to begin with.

While we're on it, it occur to me this thread should be titled "Work for free in Switzerland for the 2017 ski season"! In the fine print, the "volunteers" gets free lodging in exchange of their "freely donated work"!

What do you think, nixmap?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think you are all nuts
snow report
MagSeven wrote:
I was really hoping we might be able to throw our names in the ring for this year @nixmap! My wife and I are both solid skiers . Maybe next year!

Looking foward to.your application, but now you have revealed yourself you might be pressured to provide feedback!!!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
My problem with cleaning ovens is that it takes forever.

Mrs nixmap convinced me to spend a fortune on a self cleaning oven.
So how can it take any time at all?
ski holidays
@nixmap, are you Prince Charles? You don't seem to understand anything about day-to-day life, re ironing, cleaning etc? Have the domestic fairies always been there for you? rolling eyes
ski holidays
@nixmap, the glass bits of self-cleaning ovens and, come to that, the shelves and the seals still have to be cleaned. Or perhaps Mrs nixmap doesn't think so... (My cleaning standards are high, verging on OCD, though.)
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@nixmap, the glass bits of self-cleaning ovens and, come to that, the shelves and the seals still have to be cleaned. Or perhaps Mrs nixmap doesn't think so... (My cleaning standards are high, verging on OCD, though.)

When it comes to the shelves. That depends...i have recently invested in a self cleaning one which i can leave the shelves and racks in it while cleaning. As far as I am concerned worth every penny.
snow report
@NickyJ, how does it clean the shelves and racks? My oven is like Hurtle's. Unfortunately, my cleaning standards are not Sad .
snow report
You leave them all in and then just wipe over when finished with a cloth to get the dust off it.
snow report
@NickyJ, what are they made of? Mine are ordinary metal (no idea exactly what) but the burnt-on fat has to be soaked off in evil-smelling caustic foam. Presumably, your oven is newish?
snow conditions
I have an Aga. Other than occasionally scraping crud off the floor of each oven (it has 4) it hasn't it been cleaned in 4.5 years.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 8-06-16 21:58; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Got it in January. I went a model up which had those parts compatible for pryro clean.
ski holidays
@Gaza, ah, the Quentin Crisp rule of cleaning! Laughing
ski holidays
@maggi, Like mine it gets very hot for a couple of hours and everything is just a fine grey ash and not much of that to just vacuum or wipe out. But since I'm the only one to use the oven it never gets left to need that . . . the microwave on the other hand I usually find when I get home is a festering crusty orange box of filth. . . How the hell do you get burnt on pizza sauce on the bottom of the platter Shocked
latest report
@NickyJ, lucky you. Those clever scientists have obviously come up with something new since I bought my Rangemaster, quite a few years ago now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Masque, how can you cook a pizza in a microwave Puzzled
snow report
maggi wrote:
@NickyJ, lucky you. Those clever scientists have obviously come up with something new since I bought my Rangemaster, quite a few years ago now.

I ended up paying £40 extra to get that and an additional baking tray (along with other extra nice to have features) well worth it I thought!
snow report
@NickyJ, coo, I want one. Unfortunately, I want doesn't get. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

You don't seem to understand anything about day-to-day life, re ironing, cleaning etc? Have the domestic fairies always been there for you?

Nixmap must be a trial for any domestic fairy who has been ironing his bedlinen since forever, as he's never noticed. wink
snow report
@maggi, it's 'murica . . . they'll cook anything in a microwave . . . and as long as you put enough grease in it, anything will cook in a microwave.
latest report
I love Agas.
snow conditions
@moseyp, A gas what? . . . and yer spacebar's boogered.
ski holidays
@Gaza, +1. Only it's 10 years since the ovens were cleaned. On the other hand, the outside gets cleaned regularly to remove welly mud
ski holidays
I had an Esse stove in Scotland. Never cleaned the oven on that, and you could make the best toast ever directly on the top plate. When we bought the place I'd never used anything like an Aga so deliberately bought no other cooker, other than a microwave, so I had to learn how to use it! When my mother came to stay she baked constantly as she couldn't bear to think of all that "wasted oven time". Perfect welly drying racks on top. Which was just as well as it rarely stopped raining. I loved it.

Even the rain....
snow report
maggi wrote:
@nixmap, are you Prince Charles? You don't seem to understand anything about day-to-day life, re ironing, cleaning etc? Have the domestic fairies always been there for you? rolling eyes

No im not prince Charles.
Not everyone has the same day to day life. If day to day was only a little ironing , cleaning and then skiing- lufe would be beautiful indeed.
I do believe in fairies. I do.

maggi
Did you ever just decide to spend half a year doing exactly what you want?
Make sure you do before you miss it.
snow report
nixmap wrote:

maggi
Did you ever just decide to spend half a year doing exactly what you want?

Half a year! I've spent my whole life doing that, (well, according to my husband) Little Angel .
ski holidays
@maggi, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy