Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide last touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well I went to Blues yesterday and tried on the Dynafits. Didn't impress me at all, struggled to tell the difference between ski and walk modes. Tried and bought a pair of Scarpa Maestrale instead. Cheaper, lighter, comfier and ridiculously flexible in walk mode. They're 28.5s which seem big compared to my 27.0 piste boots but Ian in the shop convinced me that I'd need more room in a touring boot. I'll find out one way or another when I actually get to use them, hopefully in December if any snow arrives in Scotland by then. At £270 I thought they were worth a punt.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Valkyrie wrote:
.....They're 28.5s which seem big compared to my 27.0 piste boots but Ian in the shop convinced me that I'd need more room in a touring boot......

That may have been the case back in the day but the lastest AT boot designs (like the Maestrale) that have the instep strap attached to the cuff hinge/pivot don't need to be any longer than a regular alpine boot as the strap keeps the foot/heel back when in touring mode thus avoiding to bang etc.

What shell gap have you got because, although there can be big difference between makes/models, Scarpa boots change shell size on the half size so a 28.5 is actually a 29 so that's two sizes bigger than your alpine boot which seems excessive? Anything over a 20mm shell gap is too big. What's the bsl of your Scarpa's versus your alpine boots?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @spyderjon, the Scarpas are 322 and my Salomon X-MAX120 are 315. So not a huge difference but shell gap is about 30mm. I'm going back to Blues next week to compare against a pair of 27.5 that they're going to get in from another branch. You'll need to hold on to my skis and bindings for at least another week now!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Valkyrie wrote:
......but shell gap is about 30mm......

Definitely too big.

Valkyrie wrote:
.....You'll need to hold on to my skis and bindings for at least another week now!

No worries. Getting the correct boot length etc is important not just for fit but also for the correct fore/aft positioning of the bindings on the ski.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An update - went back to Blues this morning and tried the Maestrale RS in the 27.5 - fine for length but just a bit tight over my instep. Nearly bought them but a bit worried that the buckle over the instep was as slack as it could go and it was just a tad tight. Wasn't happy with the idea of not being to adjust that so just got a refund and now I'll wait for the shops to get some new stock in. Scott boots are next on my list to try, but at least now I know that I'm looking for a boot that can accommodate a high instep.

Re Blues - in retrospect I'm pretty unimpressed with Ian's approach to boot fitting, but this morning it was a young Irish woman called Jenni that dealt with me and she seemed much more competent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just bought a pair of Atomic Waymaker Carbon 130s which fitted my wide toes, narrow heel and high instep really well. Might be a bit heavy if you're looking for a pure touring boot though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My quest is over. As usual here CEM had the right answer - Scott Superguides from Craigdon in Perth. They're a 27.0 same as my piste boots and a much better shape for my feet (wide and high instep) that the Scarpas that I bought at Blues and returned.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, particularly to Spyderjon for confirming that the Scarpas were no good for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With the introduction of the Backland tongue books, Atomic quietly dropped the Waymaker Tour or FR boots, which are lighter versions of the normal Waymaker. They are not a light weight touring boot at 1800gm for a 26.5, but a lot lighter when compared to 2117gm for the 26.5 Waymaker Carbon.

While looking for replacement grip pad sole plates I found that Atomic are selling last years Waymaker FR boots at 50% off. I bought a pair as replacements for when my 3 year old Waymaker Tours eventually die.

https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/waymaker-fr-tour-AE0000781.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy