Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide last touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Having got the off-piste bug at the SOPiB I'm looking to buy a touring setup, mostly for day trips in Scotland. My plan was to buy the boots first then get suitable bindings and skis. So far I seem to be failing at the first hurdle. I'm in central Scotland and there aren't a huge range of touring boots in the shops to try. Most of the ones I've tried so far seem to be too narrow. Did a shell check on a pair of Scarpas this afternoon in Ellis Brigham and while the boots were fine for length my feet were touching both sides of the shell. A pair of Dynafit Khions were even tighter. I won't buy boots online, I'll go to a shop with a decent fitter. But rather than driving around trying on boots randomly, it'd be good to know what makes/models might be worth trying. As well as a wide last with medium volume I'm also looking for a pretty stiff boot (120 flex would be ideal) and compatibility with pin bindings.

Any suggestions for my shortlist? Atomic Backlands appear to have moldable shells, Scott Superguides seem fairly wide. Most brands seem strangely reluctant to reveal their last widths. The fitter in EB said that new boots from Black Diamond would be quite wide but I can't see any info about new boots on their website.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Technica Cochise Pro or Pro Light....
Exactly what your after (wider fit / 120 flex / tech fittings).
Though good luck finding a shop that stocks them in Scotland / UK....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure how wide you're looking but maybe K2 pinnacles? Think they're 100mm last. Not really a touring boot as such. More just a normal alpine boot with tech fittings but i just lugged mine round the haute route so for day trips, they should be fine (and more fun on the downs than a dedicated touring boot). Mine are 110 flex but they also do a 130.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about Salomon Quest Pro. Just brought a pair one hour ago. Nice and wide, thermo mold-able shell and liner 110 flex. And you can change the sole to tech if you like.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa SLs. I have a pair but they needed fitting for my wide feet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valkyrie, I have some Backlands. Yes, they're expandable, but they start with quite a narrow last. They're also nowhere near as stiff as 120. My son's just bought some Quest Pros, which start wider, and are also expandable, although they are a fair bit heavier that the Backlands. They're also a freeride rather than touring boot. Think about your likely ratio of touring to freeride, and buy the boot accordingly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valkyrie, the Scott superguide/cosmos 2 are a 103mm last, craigdon mountain sports in perth should be able to help you with those models, the backland starts life as a 98mm last which is heat mouldable, but it doesn't push out that much
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are looking for Tecnica Cochise boots then you should wait until the 2017 boot is released - they are redesigned and much improved - however, they are not an out and out touring boot - ok for the odd day tour but they ski down hill like a performance boot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CEM, Are you stocking more freeride \ touring orientated boots ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Charliee wrote:
If you are looking for Tecnica Cochise boots then you should wait until the 2017 boot is released - they are redesigned and much improved - however, they are not an out and out touring boot - ok for the odd day tour but they ski down hill like a performance boot.

Not if he wants wide boots! The new Cochises are excellent, but much closer fitting in the same size.

Ok for the odd day tour? I dragged mine (pro lights) up to 5050m today wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ This. There are several different Cochise models (womens, mens, various flex, weight etc).
The Cochise pro-lite 120 flex is the touring specific model.
IMVHO one of the lighter / best performing touring boots around - plus it comes in a wider last.

In 2016/2017 we are seeing the next generation in touring boot technology.
The new Technica Zero-G, Dynafit Khyion, Salomon Mt Lab are all super light (circa 1kg per boot).

p.s. 5050m clarky !? where is that....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

p.s. 5050m clarky !? where is that....

Scotland, surely? wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Haggis_Trap, @Chamcham, Russia! Writing this from a hut at 3900m - we tried for the summit (5642m) but a combination of the weather window slamming shut and pretty bad altitude sickness turned us around. Hopefully Friday the weather will play, as it will be our last chance...

PS While the pro lights are perfect for my normal tours in Austria, I've gotta say I've been pretty jealous of everyone else's TLT6s/etc here Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elbrus - super cool Very Happy

If you have wide feet then TLT5/6 maybe not the boot for you Wink
Slipped my feet into a pair and they felt narrow....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, Elbrus, I take it? A friend of mine's climbed it. He recalls at a heady mixture of vodka and kalashnikovs, each as lethal as the other.
snow conditions
Haha I definitely meant to include Elbrus in that post - the altitude is messing with me a bit!
ski holidays
@clarky999, Have fun Smile
latest report
@Chamcham, thanks! Kinda type 2 fun haha, but fun nonetheless!
snow report
Just a heads up:

2016 Cochise Pro light are on EpicTV shop for €99 at the moment, I had the last 27/27.5 but there are still other sizes.

2015 & 2016 Cochise Pro 130 also on at good prices but only in less popular sizes.

2016 Cochise Pro W are on for €79, so the other half had the last 25/25.5 (actually they still show as available in that size, but I am skeptical and suspect a physical stock check would reveal they now reside with us).

Salomon Quest and other crossover boots also on at good end of season prices.
snow report
@midgetbiker, I'm tempted by the Cochise Pro Light deal as they would have the volume to accommodate my heel lifts, but I'm put off by reviews saying the lack of buckle on the powerstrap (like the Pro 130 has) severely reduces the ability to power skis through the shins; how do you find them?
snow report
^ Best performing touring boot I ever owned.
Of course it is not an alpine boot - however it is only 1.5kg with good walk mode and 120 flex.
As an all rounder it is pretty damn good.
I suspect most reviews are making false comparisons with race boots ? (rather than say a TLT 5 or other touring boot).
If you want alpine performance then the 130 pro is the boot for you - but heavier and to no tech inserts.
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, Thanks that's really helpful. Of course stiffness is relative; I just need something significantly stiffer than my Black Diamond factor 110s (which were a little too big for me anyway), and the Cochise 110s I tried but also found to be way too soft. The 130 pros in my size are completely sold out across Europe.
ski holidays
Black Diamond Quadrant. I've got wide feet, but narrow ankles. I tried on every touring and tech compatible free ride boot available at Au Vieux Campeur in Albertville last year and they were all too tight across my forefoot except for the BDs. They just felt right immediately. Got them fitted back in the UK by CEM of this parish. I've now skied four weeks in them and they're fantastic.
latest report
I've got wide feet with bunions and the only boot to fit was the Scott Delirium. It's a 103mm last, 130 flex powerful boot, the only downside is it's a bit heavy compared to Dynafit etc, but soooo comfy and skis really well Very Happy
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Of course it is not an alpine boot - however it is only 1.5kg with good walk mode and 120 flex.
I suspect most reviews are making false comparisons with race boots ? (rather than say a TLT 5 or other touring boot).
If you want alpine performance then the 130 pro is the boot for you - but heavier and to no tech inserts.

+1

Never felt like I've needed more boot, and they ski just as well as the standard Cochise 120 I had before.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

for the coming season we will have

with pin inserts

Atomic Backland + backland carbon
Scott Cosmos 2 + Celest
Lange XT freetour 130 (100mm last) + XT Freetour 110 W (97mm last)
Tecnica Cochise 120+ cochise 105w

with hike mode
Lange XT130 LV + XT 110 w LV
Salomon QST 120+ QST 90 w (god only knows why)

probably missed something from that lot
snow report
@clarky999, thanks that's very encouraging. I tried the Cochise 110 for a few days, great fit for me (hard to find) but far too soft ( 67kg, Preachers off piste, Ones on piste) and not very warm. I've also now found pro 130 in my size on line so need to decide. Would normally buy from a UK fitter at start of next season but don't want to miss a chance of getting a current Cochise when next year's model won't fit. Can anyone advise on relative stiffness of the 110, 120 and 130? Thanks
ski holidays
@CEM, Cheers, do of those have interchangeable soles (Pin > Alpine) ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndAnotherThing..,
cochise has an alpine sole with pin inserts (not interchangeable)
lange XT Freetour has a WTR sole with pin inserts (not alpine)
Lange XT is alpine/ WTR not pin
Salomon currently only alpine sole (who knows where they will go with it)
Scott standard DIN touring sole so will go into a FR binding
Atomic NON NORM PIN ONLY
snow conditions
@CEM, Thanks.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

+1

Never felt like I've needed more boot, and they ski just as well as the standard Cochise 120 I had before.

Thanks Both, I've just ordered a brand new pair in my size for £78.01 including postage Very Happy
ski holidays
^ Smokin bargain.
Great boots.

FWIW I needed a custom foot bed (high arch) and small punch at 5th toe to make them perfect
In my own experience most "wide foot problems" I have had are result of my high arches collapsing.
ski holidays
I've got very good foot beds and have to stick 10mm heel lifts under them to compensate for limited ankle movement following a severe fracture many years ago. I know the (much?) softer Cochise 110 will accommodate these hence should be ok with the pro lights. And they match my jacket too!
latest report
CEM wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Lange XT Freetour 110 W (97mm last)

Mrs Oceanic has super narrow feet and wants some boots to use with Marker Dukes.

I've read online that the Lange XT Freetour is not that narrow, and is wider than other Lange boots made on a 97mm last. Is that your experience? Do you stock / can you get hold of anything narrower?
ski holidays
Oceanic wrote:
CEM wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Lange XT Freetour 110 W (97mm last)

Mrs Oceanic has super narrow feet and wants some boots to use with Marker Dukes.

I've read online that the Lange XT Freetour is not that narrow, and is wider than other Lange boots made on a 97mm last. Is that your experience? Do you stock / can you get hold of anything narrower?

the Freetour is not out there yet in terms of mass sales (only the test models that are around)

it is built on exactly the same shell last as the standard 97mm lange boots the only shell difference is material AND the piston (section of the mold that forms the sole unit) the liner is a softer/lighter material so this could give the impression of it feeling wider but not by much...(it might be possible to switch the liner out for a standard 97mm XT liner for the sake of a few grams)

all of that said Lange's 97mm last is certainly not super narrow, but there is not a lot narrower / lower volume out there in a touring/freeride model.... to go narrower you are into race boots in 92,93 and 95mm lasts (but nothing with a pin insert/WTR sole

all difficult to say without seeing the foot concerned, the other thing which might throw a spanner in the works on the freetour is the sizing..... for 16/17 season it will only be available in 24.5 and above, the standard XT low volume has a WTR sole and is available down to 22.5
snow report
@CEM,

Thanks, I just showed your reply to Barbara and it sounds like she will be making an appointment to come and see you when the 16/17 boots become available.
snow conditions
On the rocks - do you mind me asking where you managed to get them for that price. Any left ?
latest report
Just spotted the answer to my own question in midget biker's post above !!
snow report
Anyone got an opinion on Dynafit Radical CRs? Blues have them at a good price and they seem to be built wider and higher volume than some of the other Dynafits. Thinking of going and trying them on Saturday but they seem to be very low in Dynafit's range and described as "Entry-Level" so I'm wondering what the catch is.
snow conditions
They are a heavy boot with what would be considered to have a very poor range of movement in walk mode compared to newer models. From memory the liners are not designed to be heat moulded as well. First touring boot, they would be fine if the they fit and the price is right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy