Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baby friendly resort ideas.

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst this seems to have wandered off piste, there are a few points that are worth making. It's all very well bleating in about children being "left" in creches and ski school and the like, and the guilt we should feel as parents about doing so, as if our motives are somehow dark and warped.

The inescapable facts are that most parents these days work, and children often go to creches/pre-school etc before going to school. Whether they are at a creche or school on holiday, or not, most children seem quite happy mixing with children of their own age/ability. I'm sure if you dragged your (younger) children off skiing every day, they'd soon get tired of the whole affair and soon turn off the idea quickly, thus making the holiday less of a holiday. Just because we see little of our children during a normal day, does it make it right to force them to be with us every waking moment when on holiday? Most children react strangely when faced with that sort of disruption to their routines.

From a personal point, our youngest (4) went to ski school every morning for 2 hours, made some great friends, can handle button lifts, skis greens and blues, even skis backwards and displayed none of the chracteristics of an unhappy or neglected child. She also went into a snow club in the afternoon and revelled in the fun going on. Sometimes we joined in and other times we didn't. All we've heard since getting back is "when are we going skiing again", and "I really miss so and so or such and such".

In another few years, we'll all start skiing together more often. The youngest will be more physically able to ski longer, and enjoy the experience more as a consequence of the time spent learning to ski and playing in the snow.

Obviously it is a question of balance, but there is no point in pointing the "bad parent" finger at parents that choose to select holiday companies that offer alternatives for children enjoy, whilst releasing parents to pursue something that they may enjoy.

Back on piste:

We've used Ski Espirit on 2 occassions and found them pretty good on the whole. Well organised, approachable and friendly. Entrusting the care of children to strangers goes against the grain to a degree, and we found that this was handled sympathetically and professionally. Would recommend them - they're currently offering some fairly well discounted childcare deals for next year. If you're happy to wait for the snow reports and then book, assuming you time it right, even better deals can be done - we managed half price back in March.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark Hunter wrote

Quote:

our youngest (4) went to ski school every morning for 2 hours, made some great friends, can handle button lifts, skis greens and blues, even skis backwards and displayed none of the chracteristics of an unhappy or neglected child

Of course your daughter didn't display any unhappiness. You were sensible enough to wait until she was old enough to enjoy skiing. By the age of four, kids start to enjoy the company of their peers and are really quite happy to leave their parents for a few hours. I bet she had a whale of a time. It's younger kids that I'm concerned about - is it really too much for parents to put skiing on hold for a few years?

But back to the subject. If Ken can bear to listen to anything else I say Little Angel , I'd suggest staying in Europe. Apart from Esprit (excellent), we've taken our kids to Breckenridge in Colorado and, although they were well behaved on the flight, the jet-lag really got to them.

Despite all you might read about European vs American tuition, all three kids claimed to prefer their French instructors to their American ones. Surprising, really, because at first sight Breckenridge seemed more geared up to kids. Breck's skiing dog Ripparoo (he serves hot chocolate to cold kids in a mountain hut) went down particularly well, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny Jones wrote:
Mark Hunter wrote

Quote:

our youngest (4) went to ski school every morning for 2 hours, made some great friends, can handle button lifts, skis greens and blues, even skis backwards and displayed none of the chracteristics of an unhappy or neglected child

Of course your daughter didn't display any unhappiness. You were sensible enough to wait until she was old enough to enjoy skiing. By the age of four, kids start to enjoy the company of their peers and are really quite happy to leave their parents for a few hours. I bet she had a whale of a time. It's younger kids that I'm concerned about - is it really too much for parents to put skiing on hold for a few years?

For one week a year, is it really too much to put a 6 month to 2/3 year old in a suitable creche for a period of time? If one was to take a late season holiday where skiing is best finished by 2 o'clock and the climate is warmer, and you can all go out for the afternoon and enjoy the sunshine etc, where is the harm? Come on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones wrote:

Of course your daughter didn't display any unhappiness. You were sensible enough to wait until she was old enough to enjoy skiing.
It's younger kids that I'm concerned about - is it really too much for parents to put skiing on hold for a few years?

Of course us parents who haven't displayed such good sense have done what? When we picked up Beth from the creche at the end of the day she was happy and smiling. She probably got more attention and stimulus than she would in an average day at home. She got to experience something that was different from her usual day in England. This is bad for her in what way?

As Mark points out, many small children are in creches at home from a young age already. Jonny - presumably you believe that one parent should give up their job to concentrate on childcare full-time as well?

Your original post seemed to be more concerned with parents spending as much time as possible with their children. Fair enough. You now seem to be moving towards the idea that it is bad for the child in some way. That's quite a jump.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
People seem to be getting a bit het up here Mad Jonny Jones I think was giving his view on things and has made some points and given some advice that he thinks is valid. I don't think he is making out that others are in anyway "Bad Parents". He's given his advice on what he thinks is appropriate which largely meshes with what I would feel comfortable with. So I don't think he should be vilified (if that's how you spell it). If people feel so much the need to justify their actions then they might not be totally happy with it themselves (a bit of amateur psycology here I'm afraid)? As I said before people have their own views and if they feel comfortable with their views then that's fine. But it never does any harm to hear other views even if just to reinforce your own view.

Back to the very original question I have a piece of advice to put out, that I got from some friends. They went to Soll with their 2 year old and did tag child care (i.e. they didn't ski together and one of them looked after littl'un for half a day and then swapped at lunchtime - idea worth considering? Save on childcare costs?). Anyway they took their daughter for the MMR jab and said "we're going away in 10 days time that'll be OK?" They were told yes and when they were away the daughter went out in a measles rash (appartently quite common) which mucked up everything and would have certainly excluded her from paid childcare arrangements. Tip: Delay MMR until after holidays Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not het up Chris. More amused or possible bemused Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ditto...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This has been an excellent thread.
Jonny Jones lobbed in a super grenade that has allowed us to explore the many facets of just what being a parent involves. Getting the balance right is very difficult. We all on the whole try our best.
I am fascinated though by how Ken Lingwood's post containing the words "drivel" and "rubbish" condemning a previous post drew no comment, but calm responses by alan empty and Mark Hunter caused Chris Reed to think the thread was getting over-heated.
Posting is a delicate business.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, I agree an excellent thread indeed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK. I admit it. I only half believe the things I've said. But I hate to think of Snowheads getting dull over the summer so I thought some strong opinions would liven things up a bit.

Anyone got any thoughts on Iraq? (He frantically ducks for cover Very Happy )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You sure you're not Mr mclean?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B@stard! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, it must be 'cause I'm generally a nice guy. However, in mitigation of my short fuse, at the time I had been up all night with Grace, and turned to snowheads for stress relief and read Jonny Jones' post. ( Sorry JJ Embarassed )

Anyway much better now that I've decided that Jonny is quite right. So we're going away on our own and sending Grace to either a mine, chimney sweep, cotton mill or into prostitution Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah Ken Lingwood, I sympathise. I hope Grace is OK now. Have you told us how old Grace is?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two weeks old. Although, two weeks ago I was 38 I'm now 68 Wink
snow report
At that rate I'm now somewhere around 12,000 years old. Feels about right. But if the effect's cumulative (per additional child), or rather increases geometrically, that might be nearer the mark... Confused
snow conditions
Ken Lingwood, You will get some sleep eventually but the ageing process is, in my experience, irreversible. Also strains on backs, knees and bodies generally from lifting a wriggling dead weight only get worse with time. On the plus side I found it a great way to loose a lot of weight very fast that's taken me nearly two years to put back on Exclamation
ski holidays
Congratulations Ken on your new baby, I was 35 when I had my son and found it very tiring but the most rewarding experience of my life! Unfortunately I didnt plan him very well and had him smack in the middle of ski season (Feb 21st) so didnt ski that year, or the following purely down to finance (I took 6 months off work and spent all our spare cash on baby stuff!). When he was 2 we went to Austria (Kaprun), but left sprog at home with my parents (who dont get to see him very often as they live along way from us) as hubby and I needed some quality time together..... we then took him on his first ski holiday this March, he had just turned 4. Believe me, thats the perfect age to start them on skis. He loved it! He was using the drag on his own, skiing blues quite adequately and managed to ski all day on 3 or 4 occasions. Far better than having to spend all that money taking him skiing and him hating it.
snow report
This little tot at Peisey (Les Arcs) a week ago is just two. His mum reckons he's safer on skis than walking....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy