Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of Season Bashed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well we've just got back from Orelle after attempting our last ski day of the season. We've been hemmed in by bad weather since the 10th April. Anyway finally this Thursday was forecast to be good and it is the May bank holiday weekend. Arriving at Orelle the car park was pretty much full, not a good sign, with fed up skiers rejoining their cars. We went up to see what was happening, 2 hours to buy a lift pass then 1 hour to queue to get on the gondola. Not great. Prospect of similar queues later in the day to re-descend it didn't seem worthwhile given the cost of the lift pass.

We should have maybe driven straight to Val Thorens or Tignes but they are a long way. Pity really as there is enough snow to open a couple of lifts locally on the back bowls of Allevard, for example.

There does seem to be a big problem with overcrowding this season. Lack of snow early on has left late demand for skiing, at least in the big ski areas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val T and Orelle were noticeably busier on the midweek bluebird pow day on the EOSB (tues?). I put it down to the valley locals getting their last opportunistic (sick?) day of the the season in. Looks like you hit a similar effect. No doubt VT are delighted selling so many day passes last week of the season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bright spot is that I didn't book online - the queue for the ticket machine to recover lift passes was even longer than for the ticket office.

I'm not sure what Orelle can do, but if that is what it is like on busy winter weekends it must be a real PITA.

As you say, good for Val Tho if they are making some cash.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, If you already had a card you could recharge it online and just join the queue for the gondola.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes that would have been a good plan, I couldn't find my old passes. I know you can use cards from other ski areas sometimes too but they have to be from the same system.

Orelle seems like a good plan, until it isn't. It rather reminded me of skiing on the Zugspitze back in the day.

Lesson learned, drive directly to Val Tho next time!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It was extremely quiet here last week, the last week of the season, with great conditions Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glencoe was also surprisingly well attended last Saturday on their closing weekend, given that we almost had the place to ourselves when we visited 2 weeks previously
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mt Blanc and Frejus tunnels were also very busy

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2016/05/05/jusqu-a-2-h-15-d-embouteillages-au-tunnel-du-mont-blanc

and traffic jams south to the Med.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy