Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in a neighbouring country

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
uktrailmonster wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

The numbers of Brits who can speak passable French compared to the numbers of continentals who can speak passable English is pretty laughable.

LOL, the number of Brits who can speak and write passable English is pretty laughable too. So what chance have they got with a foreign language?!
Sad, but true.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the last week I've been working with a recent graduate who got an "A" at A-level English & a 1st class degree. She can't punctuate even a simple sentence correctly and this isn't carelessness, it's lack of knowledge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know someone with a degree in English and yet she still says "like" at least 10 times per sentence and seems to be totally unaware of the silly teenage habit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@uktrailmonster, I know some people who include the 'like' filler when writing...like.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, like some people just use "like" when speaking as a form of verbal tic or punctuation. I try to not assign any assessment of intelligence to it, right? I'm personally guilty of using "right" excessively recently when it seems it's largely rhetorical. I've no idea how I've acquired this idiom but it's hard to shake, right?

On other matters someone has just described a small differential to me as a "slither" which I think is either rather cute or autospellcorrect.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From wiki-linguistics

In linguistics, a filler is a sound or word that is spoken in conversation by one participant to signal to others a pause to think without giving the impression of having finished speaking.[1] These are not to be confused with placeholder names, such as thingamajig, whatsamacallit, whosawhatsa and whats'isface, which refer to objects or people whose names are temporarily forgotten, irrelevant, or unknown. Different languages have different characteristic filler sounds; in English, the most common filler sounds are uh /ʌ/, er /ɜː/, and um /ʌm/.[2] Among youths, the fillers "like",[3] "y'know", "I mean", "so", "actually", "basically", and "right" are among the more prevalent. Ronald Reagan was famous for beginning his answers to questions with "Well..."[citation needed], and President Barack Obama is known often beginning statements with "Look...".[citation needed] Fillers fall into the category of formulaic language.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dogwatch wrote:
It's not laughable, it's rational. English is the language of international business. English is the language of IT. Learn English and the world is your oyster. Learn French and you can speak to the French. The level of reward for the effort is entirely different. The downside for Anglophones is that it turns out being bilingual makes you smarter at other things too.

Quite true. Unfortunately, our current fashion of education being nothing more than a pragmatic tools for immediate "status advancement", be it getting into uni or a better job, lead to the focus of the first part of the above and neglect of the second part.
uktrailmonster wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

The numbers of Brits who can speak passable French compared to the numbers of continentals who can speak passable English is pretty laughable.

LOL, the number of Brits who can speak and write passable English is pretty laughable too. So what chance have they got with a foreign language?!

This is related to dogwatch's point above. Learning another language helps in further the learning of one's own native language.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some people are simply not interested in learning foreign languages. It just doesn't interest me at all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My son's GF who is bilingual in French and English says lots of educated French people are poor spellers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster wrote:
Some people are simply not interested in learning

Clearly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
emwmarine wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Clearly.

So in your eyes anyone not interested in learning foreign languages equates to not wanting to learn anything at all? I suppose you have degrees in every subject too from English lit. right through to quantum physics.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
uktrailmonster wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Clearly.

So in your eyes anyone not interested in learning foreign languages equates to not wanting to learn anything at all? I suppose you have degrees in every subject too from English lit. right through to quantum physics.

What if someone is "not interested" in learning math? Or English?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:

What if someone is "not interested" in learning math? Or English?

Then they are quite likely to get scammed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy