Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in a neighbouring country

Poster: A snowHead
@terrygasson, it's cheaper and quicker for me to fly to mainland Europe than it is to drive to Bath or London.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many Brits visiting France to ski look for English speaking instruction and stay in British run catered chalets or self catering apartments. They take their tea bags and Marmite with them. They expect people in bars, garages, restaurants, tourist offices, etc etc etc to speak English and can often not even manage very simple transactions in French. They're not exactly hell bent on experiencing a different culture. Laughing Many French people don't speak much English - why would they want to come to the UK where even major tourist attractions often have no information available in French and the average Brit they encounter in shops, garages, etc won't speak a word of French? A Frenchman would need a decent level of every day English (far and away greater than the French capability of British skiers in the Alps) to get himself around comfortably in the UK.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, what has whether or not French people want to visit the uk have to do with this?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is relevant, @swiftoid, to the implication that Brits like to travel to experience different cultures, in contrast to "other Europeans". That suggestion (unjustified as far as I'm concerned) was perhaps where this strayed off topic. But hey, this is Snowheads. Who cares? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, The Brits are skiing at France because there's no proper ski places in Britain anyway. Speaking frog's talk be damned.

BTW, when I was at the Birthday Bash a few years back at the Dolomites, I noticed many locals were quite fluent in German. So, although it's in Italy, it wouldn't have present much language problem for Austrians skiing there. Even the food were often a mix of both Italian dishes and Austrian dishes!

I changed the title of the thread to reflect more accurately the question I have in mind. I'm not expecting anything profound (unless there IS something profound that can be derived from it). Just simple curiosity of mine. (I guess that same curiosity drives me to ski in Canada... Toofy Grin )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We get a few Scots skiing here in northern England. The border is quite close.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I lived in France I think I'd be just as likely to ski in Switzerland as France. Unless you actually live very close to a French ski resort, there isn't likely to be much difference in the travel e.g. from Paris. I'd also still be skiing mostly in Canada to get away from the Euro crowds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
@pam w,

BTW, when I was at the Birthday Bash a few years back at the Dolomites, I noticed many locals were quite fluent in German. So, although it's in Italy, it wouldn't have present much language problem for Austrians skiing there. Even the food were often a mix of both Italian dishes and Austrian dishes!

That's because the Dolomites are in Sud Tirol, part of Tirol, and used to be in Austria! Most locals actually speak German as their mother tongue (Ladin in some parts, but rarely Italian). The area is also under quite a lot of protection by Austria - for example tax generated there can't be spent elsewhere in Italy, young people are guaranteed places at Austrian universities, all official documents and paperwork have to be made available in German as well as Italian. Given a vote most would choose to go back to being part of Austria (apparently, I don't have any sources for that).

Plenty of Austrians do ski there, and they all come up to Austria to go shopping in Innsbruck on every public holiday!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Many Brits visiting France to ski look for English speaking instruction and stay in British run catered chalets or self catering apartments. They take their tea bags and Marmite with them. They expect people in bars, garages, restaurants, tourist offices, etc etc etc to speak English and can often not even manage very simple transactions in French. They're not exactly hell bent on experiencing a different culture.

Not exactly true - choosing things that improve the experience e.g. instruction from a native English speaker or proper tea or the breakfast spread of the gods is hardly rejecting the host culture. I'd consider it pretty pretentious if Brits immediately insisted on shoving themselves into a shoebox sized hovel, unloading their weeks worth of food from the Carrefour down the hill and taking out their comedy handbag dog to poo-poo all over any nearby paths and snow. All these things are as typical of French ski culture as the things you state are of the Brit abroad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, Are there proper ski places in the eastern US ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
The Brits are skiing at France because there's no proper ski places in Britain anyway.

There are "proper ski places". If it's skiing it's proper. Scottish ski hills are some of the most beautiful and challenging in the world. They aren't necessarily reliable enough with snow cover to make book long in advance destination resorts but then you could say the same about some very big name places in the Western US region these days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
abc wrote:
The Brits are skiing at France because there's no proper ski places in Britain anyway.

Scottish ski hills are some of the most beautiful and challenging in the world.

I wouldn't know about that. In the dozen or so times I've skied there it's been covered in thick fog and dubious snow the entire time. Not to mention the gale force winds. Unless you happen to live nearby I don't really see the point in making the trip north when the Alps are only a couple of hours cheapskate flight away.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
comedy handbag dog

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've skied there it's been covered in thick fog and dubious snow the entire time. Not to mention the gale force winds. Unless you happen to live nearby I don't really see the point in making the trip north when the Alps are only a couple of hours cheapskate flight away.

that's fighting talk, @uktrailmonster, wink
Quote:

comedy handbag dog

I don't see many of them in the French alps in winter - they were a speciality item on the Cote d'Azur, though. In winter there are damn great hounds, who can make even more mess.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

that's fighting talk, @uktrailmonster, wink

It is the truth though Wink I'm not knocking Scottish skiing (any skiing is always infinitely better than none and I'm sure there are great ski days up there when the weather gods align). But on the whole it's not exactly world class either in terrain or snow conditions and would never make a shortlist for the ultimate ski trip! When I lived in Manchester, before the economy flights had been invented, a weekend coach trip to the Cairngorms was always good fun, but the skiing itself was decidedly average. Only the craziest Frenchman would make the trip to Scotland specifically to go skiing!
ski holidays
Quote:

I wouldn't know about that. In the dozen or so times I've skied there it's been covered in thick fog and dubious snow the entire time. Not to mention the gale force winds.

That was the French Alps the first half of this season.

Check out the Scottish conditions thread or http://www.winterhighland.info/

For genuinely challenging skiing Scotland is hard to beat, particularly so this year snowHead
latest report
Yeah looks awesome Wink

snow conditions
Quote:

Only the craziest Frenchman would make the trip to Scotland specifically to go skiing!

True. But he'd be a bit daft to go to Austria, too, unless he spoke German. You need to be an intrepid traveller to go somewhere where you don't speak the native language and they don't speak yours. Similarly why would an Austrian go to France? The Dutch go everywhere because they typically speak several foreign languages better than most of us Brits speak even one.
ski holidays
Quote:

The Dutch go everywhere

because they have no mountains?
latest report
@pam w, not many handbag dogs where we are either. Pointers, Setters, Huskies, German Shepherds and Pyrennean mountain dogs are more popular.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Only the craziest Frenchman would make the trip to Scotland specifically to go skiing!

True. But he'd be a bit daft to go to Austria, too, unless he spoke German. You need to be an intrepid traveller to go somewhere where you don't speak the native language and they don't speak yours. Similarly why would an Austrian go to France? The Dutch go everywhere because they typically speak several foreign languages better than most of us Brits speak even one.

Not so daft, Austria has some equally great world class skiing as France, just with a different atmosphere (that the more open-minded Frenchman might be attracted too just for a change) and it's not so far away as Scotland. I'm not going to be convinced that Scotland has any world class skiing areas worth visiting from afar.
snow conditions
Vast majority of French skiers do not like going out of France.

During the French family holiday peak weeks when there can be horrendous queues etc etc in Serre Che we'd pop over to Italy (30mins) to escape the hordes, and would be empty.

As had been mentioned the Italians do travel, as do the Germans, along with the Slovaks, and Russkies all who have their own mountains. not too sure about Poles and mountains though?
latest report
Quote:

For genuinely challenging skiing Scotland is hard to beat

Exactly, cos the Alps are so, you know, flat.

rolling eyes rolling eyes

Or do you mean dodging snow fences, avoiding getting caught in the heather (the plant, not the landlord's daughter), all with zero visibility and a gale force wind sort of challenging?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

For genuinely challenging skiing Scotland is hard to beat

Exactly, cos the Alps are so, you know, flat.

rolling eyes rolling eyes

Or do you mean dodging snow fences, avoiding getting caught in the heather (the plant, not the landlord's daughter), all with zero visibility and a gale force wind sort of challenging?

That was my lasting impression of typical Scottish skiing conditions too. And even when the fog lifted the odd time I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with the bleak and baron windswept landscape. Still it's better than the MK fridge!
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@abc, Are there proper ski places in the eastern US ?

About as much as Scotland, from what I can gather. Toofy Grin

So yes, vast majority of skiers living in the eastern US do travel to the western part frequently. A very typical eastern US skier's winter consist of a week in the western part of US and many weekends in the east. (or even a few hours after work skiing near home).

The first snowhead bash I attended, my jet lagged brain had a hard time coming up with an answer to the question of "how many weeks of skiing have done?" Embarassed

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-05-16 17:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I noticed quite a number of French skiing in Kitzbühel a few weeks ago. I doubt many of the locals speak French, but they definitely speak English, so not really a problem to communicate. I suppose some of the French visitors might even speak German. Lots of Austrians do go to France btw...
latest report
When I was doing my 'supervised hours' in Glencoe many many moons ago. one of my first classes was made up of the daughter of the French Consul in Edinburgh and the daughter of the Belgian Managing Director of Phillips Electronics in the UK. It certainly taxed the remnants of my failed French 'O' Level. I didn't find out what the two young ladies made of the on-site restaurant facilities, but of course they were impressed by the wonderful scenery and the high standard of instruction provided!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I noticed quite a number of French skiing in Kitzbühel a few weeks ago. I doubt many of the locals speak French, but they definitely speak English, so not really a problem to communicate. I suppose some of the French visitors might even speak German. Lots of Austrians do go to France btw...

I don't speak anything other than English, but it's never been an issue anywhere in mainland Europe or anywhere else for that matter e.g. Japan, China. Maybe English is a bit more universal than most languages, but unless you want to be chatting away with foreign locals it doesn't really matter whether or not they understand you and you can usually get by just fine in shops and restaurants etc.
snow report
When skiing in the Ports du Soleil, many years ago, I got the impression that the French stayed in France, even though the slopes in Switzerland were far less crowded. Long time ago - maybe things have changed.
snow report
@achilles, how could you tell?
snow report
@achilles, it's the Swiss that go elsewhere, especially the Züricher to the Arlberg. Simply a question of prices I guess.
snow conditions
Swiss and Dutch goes all over the world. That's more cultural than anything else.

In some far flung corner of the world (or just little known villages off the tourist path), the only white man one run into is quite often Swiss or Dutch.
ski holidays
@uktrailmonster, to be fair, I learned in Scotland and thusly feel justified in being cheeky about it. Given the number of weekend afternoons sitting beside race courses in the bitter wind in rather untechnical kit.

But if I still lived there I think (in particular) that the touring opportunities, if you aren't tethered to a M-F 9-5 desk job, must be marvellous.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@achilles, how could you tell?
Slopes crowded in Morzine and Avoriaz, near deserted in Les Crosets. The contrast amazed me at the time.
latest report
@achilles, no it was that the Swiss skied in France cos the lifts were fastest (and the snow didn't go off as fast).

Are you sure it wasn't a school holiday related thing?

The PdS Swiss side has always been quieter anyway because there isn't so much vacation accommodation.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@uktrailmonster, to be fair, I learned in Scotland and thusly feel justified in being cheeky about it. Given the number of weekend afternoons sitting beside race courses in the bitter wind in rather untechnical kit.

But if I still lived there I think (in particular) that the touring opportunities, if you aren't tethered to a M-F 9-5 desk job, must be marvellous.

Oh don't get me wrong, if I lived north of the border I'd be skiing there regularly. It's just that I can't see any point in making the trip from the south midlands.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Many Brits visiting France to ski look for English speaking instruction and stay in British run catered chalets or self catering apartments. They take their tea bags and Marmite with them. They expect people in bars, garages, restaurants, tourist offices, etc etc etc to speak English and can often not even manage very simple transactions in French. They're not exactly hell bent on experiencing a different culture. Laughing Many French people don't speak much English - why would they want to come to the UK where even major tourist attractions often have no information available in French and the average Brit they encounter in shops, garages, etc won't speak a word of French? A Frenchman would need a decent level of every day English (far and away greater than the French capability of British skiers in the Alps) to get himself around comfortably in the UK.

Pam, whilst you're right about the average Brit abroad I think things are changing slightly with regard to the French. I'm working in Paris and go to a number of conversation circles where a lot of young French people are learning English. At the moment the job prospects are so much better for young graduates in London than Paris that large numbers are moving over. There's a big difference between borderline conversational language skills, which is the level most well educated French leave school at, and being able to operate well in a multinational company abroad and I see large numbers trying to become more proficient. The numbers of Brits who can speak passable French compared to the numbers of continentals who can speak passable English is pretty laughable.
snow report
It's not laughable, it's rational. English is the language of international business. English is the language of IT. Learn English and the world is your oyster. Learn French and you can speak to the French. The level of reward for the effort is entirely different. The downside for Anglophones is that it turns out being bilingual makes you smarter at other things too.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:

The numbers of Brits who can speak passable French compared to the numbers of continentals who can speak passable English is pretty laughable.

LOL, the number of Brits who can speak and write passable English is pretty laughable too. So what chance have they got with a foreign language?!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy