Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

children and poma lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just after a bit of advice please. After a very successful first trip my 5 1/2 son loves skiing and wants to go to Castleford a few times in the summer. He'll have no trouble with the slope, was happily doing the steeper blues in Canada.

But he's never used a poma drag lift, it was all magic carpets and chairs. TBH its been a while since I've used one! How hard is it for kids to learn to use the poma and is it something we could show. We could book a lesson but it seems a bit overkill when we just want an hour together to fill a rainy afternoon!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should be fine.

We have children younger than that using the fast poma at Yad Moss without problems. It is usually the adults that struggle snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He'll learn to use it quickly no problem. Those indoor pomas are so slow, the biggest issue will be his boredom!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
after two goes my 4 year old grand-daughter was going up "no hands". It'll be no problem at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ask a lift attendant to help him on his first few goes, but keep skis straight, and hold onto the pole, don't get distracted by the other skiers, and never sit down, just place between legs. If he falls, let go of the lift and try roll out of the way quickly. Usually they get it first time, but you get the odd one not heavy enough or just stops concentrating and lets the skis turn.

At hemel we have a small detached one to practice and to demo with before putting them on the lift, they might have one at castleford.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be a little careful how you approach the staff, whilst some can be accommodating, some obey the usual letter of the law in most fridges which along the lines of.

All slope users not under official instruction must be capable of turning, stopping and to use the lifts unaided.

I've been behind children and adults both in lessons and not who clearly can't use them, some folk can get a little whine'y about being held up by someone who takes a dozen attempts to get on the lift and whilst I'm not one of them I can to a degree understand the frustration when paying for X hours slope time only to have 10 minutes wasted standing in a queue because little or big jonny or jill can't use a poma without falling off in the first couple of seconds.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^

Hemel fridge has a fast and slow lift, the former clearly marked "for experienced skiers" or words to that effect. If I queue behind a kid who can't use the slow, well, that was my misjudgement in choosing that queue. If I'm behind a kid who is failing to catch the fast, over and over again, that is annoying. I'm paying for coaching as well as the slope time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My now seven year old was using the Pomas at four before she'd even seen a mountain. Granted, she needed a bit of help at first, but at Hemel at least there is always someone there to help them get on (the non-experienced lift, obviously!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Little Martin wrote:
ask a lift attendant to help him on his first few goes, but keep skis straight, and hold onto the pole, don't get distracted by the other skiers, and never sit down, just place between legs. If he falls, let go of the lift and try roll out of the way quickly. Usually they get it first time, but you get the odd one not heavy enough or just stops concentrating and lets the skis turn.

At hemel we have a small detached one to practice and to demo with before putting them on the lift, they might have one at castleford.

My OH, reading over my shoulder and who used to ski at Cas, is saying that the lifties there are very good, just ask them to help and they'll even slow the lift down if needed and that they do have a practice poma too Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If he's nervous, why not ride together a few times? He'll get a bit of a feel for it that way.

Get him to stand either side of one of your legs and then you ride the lift as normal. Did this with our little lad on his first few rides at Hemel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy