Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you become a great skier through regular practice in a snowdome?

Poster: A snowHead
@uktrailmonster, what else are we going to do at this time of the year other than navel gaze pointlessly and debate pedantically?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@uktrailmonster, what else are we going to do at this time of the year other than navel gaze pointlessly and debate pedantically?

Visit a snowdome in a quest for greatness, presumably.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tubaski wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Visit a snowdome in a quest for greatness, presumably.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😜😜😜😂😂😂😂😂
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah but then they will ask you to define greatness and then it gets awfully complicated Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. Just thought I'd drop that in to the debate, wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been to a Snowdome once. I hope never, ever, again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

what else are we going to do at this time of the year

Sit at home and polish your Tufty club badge?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

what else are we going to do at this time of the year

Sit at home and polish your Tufty club badge?

I've not heard it called that before Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Careful who you show it to, no matter how proud of it you may be... Particularly the ESF
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster wrote:
I don't see why we need to be debating the definition of a "great" skier when the OP made it pretty clear in his opening post what he was intending to achieve. There was nothing about becoming a world class athlete,

Thanks, I thought I'd made it clear too, but for the semantics enthusiasts, my intention was to use 'great' as an adjective, as in 'considerably better than average', with average being the average British skier. I didn't mean great as a noun, as in 'one of the greats'.

Semantics aside I found skimottaret's video of Mike to be really helpful in answering my question. I could identify the point where Mike's skiing gets better than mine, and it seemed to be at a point where he was still doing most of his learning indoors.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oceanic wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
I don't see why we need to be debating the definition of a "great" skier when the OP made it pretty clear in his opening post what he was intending to achieve. There was nothing about becoming a world class athlete,

Thanks, I thought I'd made it clear too, but for the semantics enthusiasts, my intention was to use 'great' as an adjective, as in 'considerably better than average', with average being the average British skier. I didn't mean great as a noun, as in 'one of the greats'.

Semantics aside I found skimottaret's video of Mike to be really helpful in answering my question. I could identify the point where Mike's skiing gets better than mine, and it seemed to be at a point where he was still doing most of his learning indoors.

then the simple answer is yes. lots of practice built on good foundations, then just confidence and more practice. remembering back to my learning days (not that I have ever stopped learning) the biggest thing was getting your body position correct so that you are stable/ not sat back on your skis, that in turn brings more confidence, and because you have more confidence you don't tense up....its a snowball effect (no pun intended). once you've got the basics right and can do parallel turns easily, its time to look at carved turns...I cant remember when I tried them for the first time, but I know that when I did I never went back to skiddy turns, its sooooo much easier on the slope because youre not fighting against it all the time, speed is greater and its an amazing buzz when you are right on the edge Happy

Having said all that every time I come back from a week away I feel that my skiing has improved, and can notice the difference when I get back indoors. the mountain throws up all the variables that you just don't get indoors
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oceanic wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

If you go about it in a focused way (like Mike obviously did) I'm sure it will get you the result you are looking for. Just don't expect any gold medals at the next Olympics Laughing

Just to add, I got better than the "average British skier" just by skiing on plastic twice a week for a number of years, coached by some good professional instructors. I was still a teenager back then though, so that helped immensely, but I've seen older guys make big gains too from regular dry slope training. This was back in the mid 80s, but what I learned then has helped my skiing ever since.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 13-05-16 9:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oceanic wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

So yes, skiing regularly can take you there more effectively than just skiing once or twice a year on holiday, using an indoor facility or plastic as you have available. Add some form of club activity or coaching for motivation and feedback and it can make quite a difference. Skiing indoors alone doesn't really cover the fitness requirements for performance skiing on a mountain, so best maintain another sport or training activity for that. For me personally getting into the slalom course brought intensity into an otherwise quite gentle environment. Others go pretty hard on the freestyle features. And yes, the 'greatness' sidetrack was just that Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:

If you go about it in a focused way (like Mike obviously did) I'm sure it will get you the result you are looking for. Just don't expect any gold medals at the next Olympics Laughing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/35662020 ...you never know... Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have been to a Snowdome once. I hope never, ever, again

@under a new name, +1....absolutely no desire to go again, I've skied at Manchester, Casvegas and Hemel 2-3 years ago and I have to say unless you are a relative beginner or someone who wants to spend all evening/ afternoon queueing and going up and down a poma with 10/15 seconds of fun per 15 minute cycle then I'd suggest another off-season hobby, maybe mountainbiking or road-cycling. Fridge skiing doesn't do it for me, if that was all there was I'd not be interested in skiing, thankfully there's the real thing!!
snow conditions
It can still do what the OP is asking for though. It's just a means to an end. I actually quite enjoy the snowdome for an hour or so when it's not busy, I wouldn't go near the place at peak times. I don't really consider it any sort of off-season hobby, more a way of keeping my eye in over the summer months. Also gets me in the mood to buy new ski kit in the sales Smile
snow report
@Touchguru, brilliant! So well done. Very Happy

Skiing ' recreationally' in a snowdome is indeed boring and pointless. But for me at least, coaching in a snowdome has paid enormous dividends in terms of improved technique. (And the results would probably be even better if I had the dedication to practise drills on my own. Embarassed)
ski holidays
@uktrailmonster,
Quote:

I don't really consider it any sort of off-season hobby, more a way of keeping my eye in over the summer months.
+1
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

Yes indeed. @Touchguru, are you on track for training with Millie again by next season?
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Skiing ' recreationally' in a snowdome is indeed boring and pointless. But for me at least, coaching in a snowdome has paid enormous dividends in terms of improved technique. (And the results would probably be even better if I had the dedication to practise drills on my own. Embarassed)

I think this is the key to improving and also making the time in a snowdome enjoyable. I went once a month during summer 2 years ago specifically to ski moguls which I think helped me improve massively.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

I think this is the key to improving and also making the time in a snowdome enjoyable. I went once a month during summer 2 years ago specifically to ski moguls which I think helped me improve massively.
I think it would be foolish to pretend that skiing indoors (or outdoors on plastic) is anything like the all-round experience of skiing in the mountains. It's not. I used to play a little bit of golf, and while heading to the local driving range and practice green was not as enjoyable as my favourite golf courses, spending time at the range (practice and lessons) made my time on those courses significantly more enjoyable. I view indoor slopes in the same way: a useful venue for some types of ski lessons, the opportunity for focused practice when it is not practical to head to the mountains, a place to setup new kit, etc. It's also an opportunity to spend a bit of time sliding on snow with friends who share the same hobby. Not everyone is going to enjoy or get value from the experience, but that doesn't mean that other people won't.
ski holidays
Don't think anyone suggested you can't learn in a snowdome. Clearly you can.
My youngest got huge benefit from some lessons at Hemel before she went to the mountains for the first time. Thinking about trying to get them skiing some gates this summer.
latest report
balernoStu wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Yes indeed. @Touchguru, are you on track for training with Millie again by next season?

Thanks both Very Happy

I am on track to be back skiing by next season although will need to see how things pan out with the guiding situation as there are 4 guides and 3 athletes in case one of us gets injured. (Much like I did this season)
ski holidays
A better skier yes, a great skier no.
For me to be a great skier you need to be able to ski all the mountain in all the various snow condition, plus have the judgement to do it safely, something that can't be learnt in a fridge.
ski holidays
@Touchguru, beat me to it ... but you two only managed a Silver medal Wink

Hope your rehab is coming along and a trip to a snowdome is in your future !
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@Touchguru, beat me to it ... but you two only managed a Silver medal Wink

Hope your rehab is coming along and a trip to a snowdome is in your future !

Thanks @skimottaret

Once I am allowed on skis again I am sure I will be at Mt Hemel to put in a couple of turns Smile
ski holidays
Having skied on virtually every surface you can slide on, including some silly and dangerous experiments with both coal and slate slag heaps. IMHO if you want UK practice to help with skiing on Resort snow (guessing its not for ski mountaineering) then a Dendex style dryslope is the place to practice.
Yes skiing in the fridge is nearer to being like a piste - and that's the problem, even in crappy conditions it's quite nice to ski on.
If you can make it look good while feeling like it's easy on a nasty old school dry slope then all other (resort based) skiing is easy.
Dendex style slopes are rather different to ski on depending on the weather - Hot n dry vs cold windy and wet. Loads of race wax vs dry raw bases. Extra blunt rental planks vs tuned extra sharp race skis.
A friends kids who are 7 and 9 who grew up skiing 20 or so times a year on dry slope find all snow conditions for knee deep pow to early morning frozen fresh corduroy ridiculously easy.
The only things that are hard to gain form a dryslope or a fridge for that matter are stamina and being happy with sustained speed.
The first is easy (from a technical standpoint) just get fit.
The second is much tougher in the uk - Rollerblading or Skateboarding downhill is dangerous and scary, doing the same on a unsuspected bike to get the same sensation of speed means going really very fast - you probably need twice or three times the speed that you would on skis while the rolerblades or skateboard you only need half that of skis.
ski holidays
@Idris, I can relate to this as Dendix was my staple skiing diet during my teenage years. It certainly did it for me! As you say if you can make it look easy on Dendix, then anything with snow on it will be easy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:
A better skier yes, a great skier no.
For me to be a great skier you need to be able to ski all the mountain in all the various snow condition, plus have the judgement to do it safely, something that can't be learnt in a fridge.

But you can learn and develop the fundamental skills in the fridge that will allow you to make progress in a real mountain environment. For guys like the OP, skiing maybe 1 or 2 weeks per season on snow is never going to get them very far on its own. But if their core technique becomes stronger from regular coaching and practice in the UK, then those 2 weeks on snow are going to be far more productive.
ski holidays
Hi everyone, I learned at the Snowdome and spent this last season in Canada working as an Instructor and I was fine. I got my CSIA Level 1 & 2 and as I understand I can now work pretty anywhere but France (being British). For anyone look to get their CSIA Levels on a course in Canada I would recommend Timberline Canadian Alpine Academy. I enrolled in their Instructor Internship Program. The company is run by two really nice local guys named Brett and James. They had jobs as instructors lined up for us before we arrived and we got the absolute best training while we were there! Many of their competitors seem to put their clients up in hotels or hostels. Brett and James had us sorted with proper houses and apartments in the city centre. Its a season long program so having your own place was ideal over staying in an overcrowded hostel or hotel. We went on lot's of fun group trips together, learned avalanche rescue, wilderness first aid skills and even had a Christmas Dinner together complete with Moose! This is a great local company run by guys who really cared about us. I would recommend them 10 out of 10! Their website is http://timberlineacademy.com and we made this sweet video together
Timberline Canadian Alpine Academy from Timberline Alpine Academy
https://vimeo.com/164757650 Smile [/url]
snow conditions
2 for 2 on the spamming now then
snow conditions
@bfrost11, spamtastic
ski holidays
Bah whatever! I know it looks like it but I'm just trying to be helpful haha
ski holidays
@bfrost11, stick around and keep posting then Smile
snow report
@bfrost11, It might be spamtastic but its a cool video, really well put together Happy
snow conditions
Thanks @PaulC1984 thought one of those elk was going to charge at us haha!
ski holidays
@bfrost11, Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Thanks, I thought I'd made it clear too, but for the semantics enthusiasts, my intention was to use 'great' as an adjective, as in 'considerably better than average', with average being the average British skier.

missed this but I just can't resist Very Happy

Can I suggest the word you were looking for then is "passable" rather than great?
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@jedster, you mean, "barely passable"?
latest report
For context. Once upon a time I was a really good skier, then I spent the next twelve seasons in Chamonix, working hard with top level instruction and pushing myself on the mountain. Now I know I'm mediocre.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy