Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

insurance, don't let it slip.

Poster: A snowHead
The total opposite to this though is a friend of my son's who had a terrible mountain bike accident in Canada.
In hospital for weeks and weeks, very near death.
Total cost about £240,000....yes that was £ not $.
Insurance company refused to pay, parents had to sell their house.
They sued, and three years later got the money paid by the insurers.

Can you imagine the stress?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp wrote:
On the other hand:

Spiral Tib and Fib fracture in Verbier.

Cost of Piste Rescue: Zero
Cost of Helicopter: Zero
4 days in hospital, including pinning, all care, some physio: chf92 = £60

All I needed was to show my lift pass that had insurance, and then my EHIC card.
I do mean "just show", there was zero admin to contend with at all after that.
Exactly the same as in France if you take out the Carre/Carte Neige insurance, plus EHIC.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hubby's broken neck was all covered by either insurance (ambulances and flight home), or by the French healthcare system. Healthcare stuff was a total of less than 300€ which included the MRI scan. Hospital daily charge of 18€ or so, docs fee of about 30€. The emergency surgery needed was free I think.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
The odd thing is that most policies seems to insist on the holder having a EHIC card which suggests the insurance company will insist on your using the state medical services. If that's the case what you are paying for is rescue and emergency repatriation (and of course 3rd party liability Insurance)
But you don't always have a choice of using state or private medical facilities. I think that most in-resort medical centres, which deal with relatively minor injuries, simple fractures, etc, are private and do not accept EHIC cards for payment.

Yes. In a 'situation' I wonder how many have their wits about them to ask for state facilities, which policies seem to push for. That said when I popped my knee the insurance paid the (small) private medical center bill without much trouble. Presumably for serious injuries you are going to get taken to a state hospital as a matter of course.

I know I mentioned it above, but on the medical emergency repatriation, the German ADAC breakdown cover includes this, plus of course pan European breakdown cover for euro 120 for Husband and Wife if you fancy a belt and braces approach.

If you have forgotten to renew your EHIC card, the online system is good and there is plenty of documentation to tell you who to call in the UK should you need to confirm your status while the card is coming thought. The UK side will apparently fax to hospital directly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Yes. In a 'situation' I wonder how many have their wits about them to ask for state facilities, which policies seem to push for.
Exactly right - with even a relatively minor fracture the last thing I'd be interested in would be trying to persuade resort rescue services to take me to a state hospital (which would almost certainly be much further to travel). The combination of something like Carre/Carte Neige and EHIC should cover you for just about everything medically related, with travel insurance for things like transport delays, delayed/stolen luggage, personal possessions, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp wrote:
We never bother with holiday insurance in Switzerland....I can see no practical value at all.

The missing bit in your cunning plan is if you were unlucky enough to require a doctor and nurse accompanied private air ambulance home. Happened to a paraglider I know - £30k.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pruman, that's what I said bottom of the previous page
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If any of you have no insurance of any sort, but are covered by an EHIC card, a lot of what we would consider to be private medical facilities in France are also part of the state system in that you can choose (or be taken) to be treated there, but you will still be reimbursed (about 80% of them anyway). The local Cabinet Medical is a good example of this, you must pay any charges, and they will not be interested in your EHIC card. Just make sure you get a 'feuille de soins' which states the treatment you got. French residents would be charged too, and claim back the costs.
Charges from many of the private cliniques are also reimbursable by the state, but major trauma will almost certainly mean transfer to a state hospital (CHU Grenoble for example).
When we claimed for hubby's accident we signed a form giving the insurer permission to claim back the reimbursable costs on our behalf. We hadn't paid out anything ourselves apart from the fee at the Cabinet Medical it was all dealt with afterwards. The bills did come to our home address, and were passed on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I broke my ankle in Switzerland I had a bill of CHF150 for the piste basher that came and picked me up, and the X Ray in the local private hospital of another CHF100ish inc some painkillers. We drove down to the local state hospital in Visp where further X Ray's, a boot and some crutches were all covered by EHIC. Just waiting on a cheque from the insurers from the bits we had to pay ourselves as we never managed to get through to their phone line in the 20 mins or so we were in the private doctors so just paid up to let us out. I want to know where 500EUR for a pisteur with a sledge is and remind me not to go there, or at least get the additional insurance with the lift ticket! I had a really quite enjoyable ride down the slopes in a pistenbully for my £100.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will generally find a clear list of piste rescue costs displayed on French resorts . Typically near lift pass purchase points. Prices vary. Higher if you are further from the centre.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was quite amused to see that Air Glaciers in Switzerland has a yearly deal for locals that covers airlifting of sick or dead cattle just 80Chf a year, seems like a good deal if you have cattle in high alpine pastures, (they do a much cheaper deal for individuals and families)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Gaza, you can always not take advantage of their services. You know, grit your teeth. Keep your broken lege elevated and slide down on your back.

sugarmoma666 wrote:
How do you figure that out? I can't imagine having skilled, trained people on standby all the time just in case someone falls and injures themselves comes cheap.

The point I'm making is, as stated above, the cost of piste rescue in France is way in excess of ambulance transfers. Having pisteurs on standby is part and parcel of the cost of running a ski resort. A French national injuring themselves at Cairngorm would pay precisely zero to be rescued by the excellent Ski Patrol.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gaza, who pays for the excellent ski patrol at Cairngorm? I assume somebody does?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, in all of the Scottish resorts, the resorts themselves provide the Ski Patrol so it would safe to assume that an element of the ticket price covers the cost of the patrol.

Earlier this year my son was taken off the mountain with a suspected broken wrist. As he was close to the funicular middle station they took him down in that. I think he was a bit disappointed not to be taken down on the sledge. Very Happy In the First Aid room they were very thorough and immobilised the injury. They phoned the medical centre in Aviemore and organised for him to be seen and have an x-ray. They offered to arrange transport but as I had my car I declined and took him myself. Couldn't fault the service and professionalism of the two patrollers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gaza, OK, so it's paid for when you buy a lift pass. Same as in France if you opt for insurance, although you have the option to make other arrangements if you want.
ski holidays
@Pruman, @holidayloverxx, I will insure for risks I cannot cover, and there are some that I take a reasoned view about.

In Switzerland, where I am very familiar with how things work I feel that with my lift insurance, my Air Glacier annual policy for off piste helicopter rescue (costs 32chf per year) and EHIC I have all reasonable risks covered.
I am lucky enough to have an apartment in Switzerland, and lots of friends there.
If the injury was bad enough to hospitalise there for prolonged period, I will just stay there.
If I am too "tender" in recovery to travel, I will just stay there until I can.

The risk of needing an air ambulance home?
I just cannot see why that would happen, therefore I decide not to insure for that risk.

I'm trying to come up with an analogy...how about:
I have motor insurance through other policies, but it does not cover me for total loss in the event of a flood.
Would I buy yet another full policy that covers everything that is already covered just to cover flood risk....and you point out to me that you know somebody who lost their car in a flood?
I would think about it and decide...not to in all probability.
ski holidays
@rungsp, if I were in your position then I might do the same. My apartment in Austria is unsuitable for anyone incapacitated ...hence 5 days in hospital till I went home on an insurance booked and paid for flight...I had driven out and my breakdown insurance repatriated my car.
ski holidays
@rungsp, Out of interest, how would you get on if you were in non skiing accident ?
ski holidays
I know I'm over-insured, having Carte Neige, EHIC and travel insurance (plus whatever comes with a couple of my credit cards and maybe my bank account?). In the grand scheme of things the over-insurance doesn't cost me that much (EHIC is free, Carte Neige costs €56 IIRC) so I don't worry about it. The travel insurance is an annual policy and covers my holidays and well as ski trips, globally rather than just the EU as in the case of EHIC. I'm out of the UK for about 4 months a year, so lots of travel during which baggage can go missing, delays, loss/damage of personal possessions, money, etc, so the travel insurance would cover that. I also have a top-up policy for car hire insurance - that's paid for itself several times over.

People have different requirements so it's a good thing that the insurance industry is very flexible.
snow conditions
@AndAnotherThing.., not sure I understand how that changes things?

EHIC is non ski specific, and Swiss ambulances are free at the time.
All medical care, so GP equivalent etc, is covered by EHIC in Switzerland if you understand the system.

If I have a car accident, fall off a horse...whatever...I know that in Switzerland I am insured.
As are you Very Happy
latest report
Annual top up for car hire...now that is a no brainer!
The car hire companies rely on getting every single ding paid for in full (and maybe several times over)....that is a policy I will always get!
snow report
rungsp wrote:
EHIC is non ski specific, and Swiss ambulances are free at the time.
All medical care, so GP equivalent etc, is covered by EHIC in Switzerland if you understand the system.

If I have a car accident, fall off a horse...whatever...I know that in Switzerland I am insured.
As are you Very Happy

Perfect snowHead
ski holidays
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

In France, does EHIC + Carre Neige + basic UK bank insurance (covering off piste but "only with a qualified guide"), still leave a degree of exposure to repatriation expenses?

For example, in the event of an (unaccompanied) off-piste accident, would the UK insurance company refuse to pay for anything, even though all rescue and medical costs would have been covered by the EHIC and Carre Neige?

I worry about this overlapping insurance issue (although the above is an example of a gap in cover) - there appears to be unlimited scope for insurers to pass the buck...
ski holidays
Its also important to remember to have insurance in place from the time you book your holiday - or have a rolling policy that you keep upto date.
MrsJ tore her achilles tendon a few weeks before we were due to go skiing. All it needed was one form filling in from her doctor confirming she was unable to travel and we got a cheque refunding the whole amount, including lessons, hire, lift passes prebooked etc.

It was still bloody annoying having to cancel a ski holiday but at least we got the money back with the minimum of fuss and so could go the next year
snow report
From recent experience, specifically relating to an accident in France:

AT ALL TIMES keep your EHIC card AND proof of insurance on your person when on, or off the slopes. Likewise your mobile, it may be your only connection with those you know.

Once you get to the 'main' hospital the EHIC kicks in, up until then it's mostly 'private' (chargeable). The EHIC usually covers 80% IIRC of the 'State's' medical expenses, but in my case they covered 100% (I think they may have seen me as a prospective guinea pig, but I managed to 'escape' prior, lol).

Not carrying your EHIC is simply STUPID and invites unavoidable potential problems. It's 'free' for heaven's sake, if you can be bothered to actually renew it.

Regardless, with repatriation my 'bills' came to just shy of 30k (not including 5 days stay in Grenoble UH, the food was crap), at least the ones I saw, and yes they send them to you even after you've managed to 'flee' the country.

Unfortunately if there is a moral to all this it's you never appreciate the cost of good insurance until you need it. I had two policies and picked which better suited the circumstances, my 'account' insurance separately getting my personal effects back with the good grace of those I travelled with.

Your results may vary ...... Keep safe.
snow report
Up date on original post:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/olivia-fairclough-i-probably-never-11440948

Two things; Pot Noodle are not a home comfort, and if you live somewhere and have a job, you are not on holiday and should have appropriate insurance ( take note Barista Stanton).
snow report
The EHIC is an entitlement and even if you don't have a current card at the time of the event you are still covered. Contact the DWP on return and they will either issue a card/number that you can quote to the hospital or even refund (some of) the money when you return.

Back in 2008 I spent the night in Bourg hospital and was sent a large bill on return, I did not have a current EHIC. I called the DWP and was issued with an EHIC, I sent the number to the hospital and my bill was reduced to 50 euros.

It's a lot easier if you have it with you but it only works in state run hospitals and in parts of Spain it may well be (wrongly) refused. The government is trying to fix the problem but progress has been slow (may get worse because of Brexit who knows!).
ski holidays
Timc wrote:
The following is a breakdown of the costs associated with a fall my wife had from a chairlift resulting in a fractured pelvis.

We are insured with LV=

Think I might get my policy with LV when renewal comes round Shocked Always a bit worrying when selecting insurers as you never know how they'll try to squirm out of a claim, but that sounds like ideal service.

Incidentally, will EHIC still apply once we're out of the EU or is it something else we have to hope gets included in the Exit Strategy?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Incidentally, will EHIC still apply once we're out of the EU or is it something else we have to hope gets included in the Exit Strategy?

Colleague of mine needed an emergency GP appointment in Germany last week. Whipped out his EHIC card and was told "we don't accept that any more" and the reason given was that we are no longer in the EU even though, as we all know, we are. It wasn't a major issue and he was in no state for a fight so he paid up and will make a claim. So there you go folks, it's started!

If we are going for the hard Brexit I would think that EHIC is a gonner. Countries like Switzerland are in it but they pay in and it doesn't look like we are going to join the Norway, Switzerland and all club..
snow conditions
Do you need to have your actual physical EHIC card on the slopes?

Or would taking a photo of it suffice, assuming the details are readable? I already have my phone with me at all times on the slopes, would prefer not to have 4 x EHIC cards for the family up with me if it's avoidable, just more stuff to lose!
ski holidays
My motto is if you can afford the holiday you can (should) afford the insurance. Great to hear stories of where the medical care has been excellent and also where the insurers have "done their bit". It is easy to knock insurers and there are times when they deserve it but when the chips are seriously down they generally pull out all the stops and do what is necessary. Swiss care over UK care? Currently there can be no debate on this!
snow report
Isn't it a shame you can't do a test claim from a perspective or even current insurance company. Just to see how they react
ski holidays
Quote:

in parts of Spain it may well be (wrongly) refused

I had a huge problem getting an Italian equivalent of EHIC accepted in our local GP surgery - even though the Italian holder spoke decent English and I speak excellent English! Thing is, the words on the card were in Italian and the precise equivalent of "EHIC" was in a different order. rolling eyes It looked pretty much like a British one.
snow report
I note that lots of people here have had very good experiences in relation to accidents while on skiing holidays with cover available under various guises ie associated with life pass, EHIC or carre neigh but as someone has said there are other medical emergencies which can occur and are not related to skiing. Personally, after many years in the insurance industry, I believe in looking for a policy which covers most or all of the possible misfortunes which could occur while I am away, or indeed before I go - how about cancellation cover in case you break leg even before the holiday as someone on here did (well she tore her achilles) and perhaps the most important cover is that relating to repatriation in the event of you needing to return home for treatment in the UK while still incapacitated. Cover is also useful in respect of lost/delayed baggage and personal effects although harder to claim for with most insurers. Good cover is essential for peace of mind.
snow conditions
My youngest son got chicken pox 3 days before his first birthday which, annoyingly, was the day we were due to fly to Austria for a week's skiing. In those days I bought single trip insurance, timed to start on the day of outbound travel. So, clearly, when we were told that youngest would not be flying, due to being contagious, we also discovered that we were NOT covered by insurance for cancelling the trip either. V luckily my in-laws were able to jump on a plane and come and look after him for a week, otherwise we would have had to cancel with no re-imbursement.

We now have an annual travel policy that automatically renews....
snow report
@London_Falcon, there's an EHIC phone app.
snow conditions
@BCjohnny,

Quote:
The EHIC usually covers 80% IIRC of the 'State's' medical expenses, but in my case they covered 100% (I think they may have seen me as a prospective guinea pig, but I managed to 'escape' prior, lol).

That would be, I guess, because it was emergency treatment as normally it is about 20%. Hubby also got his surgery and treatment free of charge, I guess repairing a fractured c5 vertebra is an emergency, and yes, the food at Grenoble hospital was terrible. If you had a heart attack and needed a bypass that too would be free. He also received a breakdown of the costs (but not a bill) from CPAM along with a French social security number about a year later. Cost of surgery was in the tens of thousands.
We did get a small bill for a daily hospital charge of 20€ per day.
ski holidays
Sorry I see I am repeating myself., always a danger when an old thread is revived.
snow report
@Hells Bells - thanks, I did download it before BUT it doesn't seem to actually have the ability to contain your personal specific EHIC details, it's seems more like an information only app? Or am I missing something?
ski holidays
The one I have has a picture of the card, and you can open it and edit. You can also store more than one card and back it up, i'll try and find which one it is (Android).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy