Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Experience 80 vs 84

Poster: A snowHead
You know the story...

I've always rented but want to buy my first pair. The main reason is that, whilst my skiing is improving nicely, hiring the right skis and then getting a feel for them every trip is becoming a hindrance. For example I was on Elan Waveflex 12s last time. Once I got use to them I was pretty confident going down reds until they started to crud up later in the day. To be honest I reckon they were a bit too good for me.

On reflection I think something with a bit more float would be better. So now looking at the Experience 80 and 84. Not so much for off piste but more as a ski that will cope with most conditions. The 80s sound like they're more were I'm at now but I don't want them to be limiting me in a couple of years. On the other hand I have niggling thought that I'd never get to a level were I'd need the extra the 84s bring. The cost difference isn't a big factor but no point wasting ££s!

One final thing when it comes to flex; I'm a cyclist so have decent leg strength but it also means I only weigh 70kg at 178cm tall.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi @Mark60, i have the 80's and have been a fun and use full ski but then i haven't had that much o compare against, i have been off piste on them and as long as you keep them together they float pretty good, i think now i would have preferred the 84 with the extra under foot but as most of my skiing is on piste the extra bite on the icy pistes is probably more helpful.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Experience 84's suit my sort of skiing, mainly piste, but the occassional foray off the edges, and certainly deals with shallow powder well. I find the ski to be very forgiving for my vices (too far back), deals with crud well and holds an edge. I tend to hire a length up on the basis that the forward rocker reduces the effective length. I nearly bought some in the Snow and Rock sale when they were down to about £ 290 ... but they seem to be readily available at hire shops and the cost on Easyjet is about the same as a week's rental.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mark60, I've just sold a pair of Rossi Exp 84s. I bought them last year after hiring a pair of 88s in Canada - the difference being the skis in Canada were the "open" binding system as apposed to the "TPX" system.

I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs here but the difference in the binding system is pretty big, especially for someone like you who is light (I too am a cyclist and weigh 65kgs).

The "open" system allows you to mount pretty much any binding to the ski whereas the "TPX" system has a rossi binding pre mounted on a metal plate / rails which runs through the centre of the ski. I found this makes the ski very stiff which was brilliant on piste for carving but provides next to no flex (at my weight) when you're off-piste and on moguls making for a very hard unforgiving ride if conditions are not perfect.

The other thing I noticed is that ski is really heavy - for me, I just don't get on with very heavy skis - again, they feel really well planted on piste but a bit hard work off-piste.

From fairly extensive research you can only get the "TPX" binding system on the Rossis for sale in Europe, which was pretty annoying because with the "open" system they were an absolutely amazing ski.

I've swapped mine now for a pair of Scott "The Skis" and they are waaaaay better for me personally. If I was you, I'd go for a lighter more flexible ski at your weight, particularly if you're thinking of starting to do more off-piste stuff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replies.

Just for comparison can I ask @capstone, and @DavidYacht, how much you guys weigh?

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
6ft 83kg advanced (British) intermediate about 20 weeks skiing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been on 84's for the last couple of seasons and like DavidYacht find them very forgiving . . .great on piste and in crud/slush/light powder you can push them hard and fast or just cruise about . . .easy to carve long and short arcs, or skid silly short turns old skool style. I find them much like a rear wheel drive sporty saloon with an autobox - you can drive like an old man in comfort or hoon about on the motorway/roundabouts depending on your mood and without having to fiddle around with gears. . .great allrounder skis IMO . . .for my skiing (unfit level 9) I see no reason to change them anytime soon

I'm 6' 1", 200lbs and on the 178's . . .for what its worth it seems to be the ski of choice for all Mountain Rescue / Lifties / resort staff this season in L2A
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all.

Given that I'm on the light side I might see if I can get a set with open bindings. The extra flex might be worth it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I forgot to say I go for 178s, you could go for the shorter length if you are light. Ref. Your last comment ... don't think that they are over stiff, which is why if I am a little too far back they let me off the hook when compared with other skis that I have hired or owned. I used to own some Dynastar Contact 10's and when I hired some Experience 83's the ease of skiing was a revelation.

Ease of skiing might not be everyone's priority but as a 10 day a year skier skiing 90:10 on:off piste these suit me down to the ground.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the 80s. First ski I've owned, much preferable to any hire ski I've had. I can push them hard when I need to or just pootle. Not been off piste on them as it wasn't really viable on the Christmas and Easter trips we went on.

I'm 5' 10, 80-ish kg. I'm an unfit former cat3 cyclist before work got in the way. About 15 weeks skiing experience.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mark60, I doubt you'll get a pair with open bindings - I tried everything, even went to the Rossi distributors and they just dont sell them over here. Poss get some second hand on ebay?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd be surprised if there was an enormous difference between the 80 and 84.

I also don't understand the issues with "heavy" skis.

Totally amazed but can believe the plate can make a difference.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me and Mrs SL both use the older 83s as all mountain skis and they have proved really adaptable on anything other than deep powder. You might like to consider what your ambitions are for them and you. Mrs SL is in the 70kg area and went for the 160ish and wishes she had gone a little longer for off piste. If you are not intending to do anything other a little side piste then you may well fine a shorter length more controllable. The shorter the ski the more impact the TPX rail is going to have on the flex of the ski. With the TPX binding we find the skis are indeed heavy in the hand but you do not feel it once you are on the move.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info @Ski lots, I'm thinking the 168/170s.

Did Mrs SL find the skis flexy enough?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mark60 Yes indeed. Mrs SL is a very smooth and competent skier with over 200 weeks skiing under her belt. Although we rarely challenge ourselves too much these days, the skies have been used with distinction on all sorts of terrain on and off-piste. As above Mrs SL found that the shorter length tends to dive in deep soft snow, which may be a combination of both going too short and the stiffer binding. The 83s, were the first rockered ski she had used and as such she was not convinced that the greater length would not be a disadvantaged on moguls, so went shorter.
latest report
OK. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Going a bit left field; how crazy would it be to get the Temptation 84s. As they are for women, are they going to have more flex? I guessing that the TPX system will allow the bindings to be positioned correctly for a man's COG.
snow report
@Mark60, Likely to be identical to the mans version, but different top sheet. (as the soul 7 / savory 7 etc). You can put your boot wherever you like using that binding system, just get the forward pressure right.
ski holidays
Quote:

Just for comparison can I ask @capstone, and @DavidYacht, how much you guys weigh?

just seen this sorry for the late reply im around 68kg undressed Embarassed
im also 5'6" and have the 168s
snow conditions
@capstone, thanks! All input welcome. Blush
snow report
Just spotted this thread and thought I'd pitch in. I'm 6'2" and about 105kgs and ski a pair of 84s (186cm from memory?) which - gasp! - I bought open and paired with some kneebindings, which the hero known as Jon Coster fitted for me. And I love 'em. As others have said, they're very versatile and you can hoon around, or take it reasonably steady, according to your mood.

I actually think they're reasonably lightweight, although perhaps that's relative to an extent, eh?

I purchased mine in October from a company in Estonia, of all places, having found them via googling the product code (RADEC02). The store in question is currently listing them, but only in a 162cm. May be worth dropping them a note to double check? They are a 'real' physical shop. At the time, we had an Estonian lad working for us and I got him to double check they were legit before ordering. Smile

I dealt with a chap called Erno Kaasik and it went very smoothly inded. Here's a link:

http://extreme.ee/product/pid/126141/bid/
snow report
I have the Temptation 80s and absolutely LOVE them, they are great on piste. Very forgiving, not too stiff but not unstable at speed. Fantastic at carving and turn super-easily. I kind of wish I'd bought the Experience 80 though as they're orange and would match my trousers.....!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I hired a pair of 84s for the last couple of days of my ski holiday this year. I didn't get to test them properly as the weather was bad and visibility was almost zero most of the time but they felt so much better than my 8+ year old skis. I was all set to buy a pair on my return however on reading up about skis and recommended sizing I think the 154cm pair I hired may be too short for me as I'm 5'8" and weigh 70kg (male). I don't ski fast or aggressively so was happy with the short length (they did turn very easily) but I'll try them in 162cm before making a decision.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads @Bad_Zebedee snowHead

At a rough guess I'd say 154 was rather short for you.
Shorter skis are bound to be 'easier' as there's less to get hung up when we don't do things right. OTOH though, a more appropriate length will perform better for U if you're using it right.
As @Mark60 observes, as U get used to your skis you start to be able to use them better, hence it would definitely be wise to buy skis that like but that you're going to 'grow into' a little. 162 minimum Wink
latest report
I notice Snow and Rock have some some 172 length 84's for around £ 280 which would be very well suited to many, since I am sure that the camber makes them seem like a slightly shorter ski.
snow report
Glisshop have the full range of lengths in the black/carbon colourway (not the usual all yellow variants) and TPX binding system for £300. They've also got the yellow colourway with TPX and every size barring the 146 / 178's.

I bought mine for £280 from Glisshop post free - looks like they're holding stock so expect the above prices to go down

Ekosport have some 'open' versions also in the black/carbon colourway without the TPX rental binding system for under £300 . . .biggest only 170's though.

Skatepro have some TPX versions in 186 for £290
snow report
@twodogs, Gasp indeed, well done. When I was looking this time last year for the 88s I couldn't find any in Europe and spent many hours searching. When I spoke to the Rossi distributors in the UK I was advised they weren't available in the UK. When I was in Argentiere last April the ski shops weren't even aware they were available with an 'open' system.

@Mark60, £260 from Ekosport is bargain.
snow conditions
Well I was going to wait and perhaps test a few different skis next season but at those prices I may just take a punt with a pair of 162cm. I'm planning to visit my local Chill Factore in Manchester at least once a month this year (although I'm running out of time for my April visit rolling eyes) so I'll get some use out of them before next year. From reading above I think the open version is the way to go for me for a bit more flex. My boots are only a year old so I'm not planning on changing them anytime soon.

I've only ever bought I pair of skis before and they came with bindings. I guess I just pop along to my local Snow and Rock and they'll fit some for me? Decisions decisions ...
snow report
Hello chaps. I've always found Rossi to be really helpful. My first skis were Rossi Alias 74 Carbons, which I'd rented and loved. When I got home, I asked Rossi where I could get some in the UK, and they responded with a list of dealers who had taken them. Same thing when I wanted to get a pair of Temptations for my other half.

Having rented the Experience 84s with bindings in a 178 last year in the Grand Massif, I was quite happy to go with the extra length and, yes, that extra bit of flex that the 186 open provides. And I'd be lying if I said the fact that the open variant, being mainly black rather than more yellow, didn't appeal more. Their first outing was back in the GM in mid Jan (I had knee surgery in August and we wanted to have the security of familiar terrain, so that my girlfriend could more easily ski alone if my knee flared, which it thankfully didn't), and I'm genuinely 100% happy with them.

I always take my stuff to the Piste Office and, like many others on here and beyond, would absolutely recommend Jon for fitting bindings and servicing if you do go down the open road, so to speak.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
. . .not sure where this TPX = a stiff/heavy ski is coming from . . could be my weight but these skis do flex quite happily in bumps/crud etc. Haven't skied the open versions but the TPX are way more flexible than say Head Titans and positively floppy/feather weight compared to a slalom ski etc . . .
snow conditions
sail and ski have tpx version experience 84 in 170 and 178 for £250

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Rossignol-Experience-84-Skis---AXM-120-2016-31262.html#SID=8873
ski holidays
Too heavy and too stiff... wouldnt bother Toofy Grin

@Belch, That's because the Head Titans are essentially a race ski, not an all mountain ski. You're comparing apples and oranges.
snow report
@nickr, In terms of stiff and heavy what are you comparing the rossies to? Without bindings Scott the Ski in 175's are 3720g . . 84's in 178 are 3600g . . .can't imagine the TPX rail adds that much noticeable weight . . .

In addition the 84's are not really an all mountain ski either in the true sense of the category (all though they are marketed that way) IMHO. . .like the Titans they are piste orientated with side country ability . . .so more like oranges and satsumas perhaps! I've used both in a variety of conditions and whilst I loved the Titans (the side cut dims are very similar) I felt the rossies were (for me) a lighter and easier to manage ski overall . . .but that could be because I'm bigger/heavier than you!
ski holidays
@Belch, In terms of heavy, I had the 84s in a 162 and the total weight including bindings was 6600g from memory. I have the Scotts in a 165 which if mounted with a light weight binding such a Marker Squire would come in at around 4800g - that's a pretty big difference!

I do agree that the 84 TPXs are not really an all mountain ski - and that is the point. They are marketed as such and its a bit misleading. They are essentially a piste orientated ski, and a very good one, but I don't think they perform particularly well off-piste. As you say, given you're around 5 stone heavier than me the skis will flex a bit more readily for you!!!

I suppose the crux of this is that Mark60 is a similar size to me and in my experience the Rossi 84 TPX would not be a great choice if as he says he wants a ski that will "cope with most conditions". I would personally advise going for the 84 Open mounted with the Marker Squires and that will be a much better ski, for him!!
ski holidays
@nickr, didn't realise the Markers would make such a difference compared to TPX/Axium 120's . . .I can imagine that if you are genuinely doing 50/50 skiing the weight saving is a differentiator . . .
snow conditions
Hold on for a bit if you don't need skis until next season. I got the 80s from Glisshop for about £180 last October(ish). They were the 2015 model.
snow conditions
. . .usually a big difference in price between these two as the structure/tech is different I think (different wood core & carbon) . . .never seen 84's at sub 200 . . .
snow conditions
I'm tracking the open 84s at EkoSport. The best I can see with bindings is £292. Hoping for further reductions or a flash discount.
latest report
£307 on Glisshop at the moment with an additional 15% discount being offered at the moment, so about £255 (assuming they'll let you add the code on a ski that is already discounted).
ski holidays
Thanks @hammerite, I've seen the TPX version at around that price in a few places. Just want the open version to come down to something like that wink
latest report
@Mark60, . . .on ekosport now for £260 . . .no bindings - 170 longest though. . .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy