Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'huez in late december?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. Me and my girlfriend are looking at booking alpe d'huez in late december and wondered if there is any advice or comments about the resort around that time of year.

Im an intermediate snowboarder and my girldriend a beginner skier who would probably go for some private tuition whilst there. Is there any good ski schools? Are they costly? What are the easier slopes like for her? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy slopes are very easy but do get a fair amount of traffic down them . Your main problem in December is that you are largely south facing so warm temps and sun can impact ability to make snow - having said that low daylight hours and low sun angle mitigate
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...and despite the main village being quite high (1850 m), and the top of the resort being very high (3200 m or so from memory) large proportion of the runs is below the altitude of the first DMC station (around 2200 m).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 11-06-16 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpe d'Huez has a fantastic ski school called Masterclass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. Is there any resorts you would recommend for late december for a beginner skier to find her feet without being too expensive?

Also we are looking at possibly investing in buying some skis instead of renting every year but wouldnt have a clue what to look for in terms of sizes and types. Is it better to buy cheap used skis on ebay or buy new on a budget?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/attraxion-skis-id_8345704.html

Seen these but not sure what to make of them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nearby possibly Les Deux Alpes with lessons by Charlotte Swift, Easiski. I wouldn't punt at buying skis for a beginners until they are confident enough to actually use a pair and articulate what they do and don't like about them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowhound wrote:
...and despite the main village being quite high (1850 m), and the top of the resort being very high (3200 m or so from memory) large proportion of the runs is below the altitude of the first DMC station (around 2200 m).

I'm sat here thinking that I don't remember writing this helpful post!

We went to ADH in March as part of a big mixed group, i thought it was great with something for everyone. Late December is risky pretty much everywhere conditions wise but there should be enough.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Paul F, "late December" usually translates to "New Year" which is about the most expensive and busiest week of the year and not the best for snow, really. Is that the only time you could go? Your girlfriend would enjoy learning to ski a lot more with fewer people whizzing around her.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpe d'Huez has some excellent beginners slopes, and the south facing aspect isn't normally a problem at that time of year, providing it has actually snowed. Slopes just above the resort are fairly well covered by cannons if not. Last Jan I skied with a nice
except he skied 0.5s faster than me on Eurotest day and passed, the git!
English lad working for the ESF there, Simon Cookie, who was doing privates most afternoons and would be worth asking for I think.

As @pam w's post above, New Year week may be best avoided, while Christmas week has been fine where we've been.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stay away from ADH at new year, it is far too crowded on the bunny slopes. Your best bet at that time of year is Signed, you can get some excellent last minute deals.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tignes are Val d'Isere are good in December. The whole resort opens around the second weekend of Dec (sometimes earlier) and the FIS world cup is held in Val d'I on 2nd or 3rd weekend of December.

The glaciers are only shut in May, June and September. You can normally ski down to resort level (1850m) by mid November.

The ski schools in Espace Killy are amongst the best anywhere in the world.

I'm going to be there for the World Cup and expect to ski each day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul F wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Is there any resorts you would recommend for late december for a beginner skier to find her feet without being too expensive?

Also we are looking at possibly investing in buying some skis instead of renting every year but wouldnt have a clue what to look for in terms of sizes and types. Is it better to buy cheap used skis on ebay or buy new on a budget?

Late December is probably going to be one of the more expensive times to go regardless, especially if you don't want to be away for Christmas. Also if conditions are similar to last year then you're going to want to be somewhere with a bit of altitude, although that's less important for beginner slopes.

If your GF is a complete beginner then I'd advise against getting any skis until you know if she likes it. If you're over that hill then it really depends on skill level, the type of skiing she wants to do, height etc. By the time you take carriage into account then you probably won't save a great deal of money by buying instead of renting, so may be worth waiting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Correction to my post above, the whole of Val d'Isere is open on 26th November this year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go to Austria in the first week of Jan.

After the New Year whirlwind.

Stay low. It gets cold at that time of year.

Try Lech.
snow conditions
This year, late December ie from the 24th Decemebr to the 31st is looking to be one of the most expensive weeks of the year, even more expensive than some of the half term weeks.

But I think Alpe d'Huez will be ideal for what you plan. The beginer areas are extensive and gentle and high(ish). The only suggested changes I can reccomend is forget about private lessons for your girlfriend let her enroll in group lessons. With a dozen of you all falling about together, laughing, encouraging each other, chatting on lifts etc. it is berhaps the most enjoyable ski lessons she will ever have.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy