Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skinning up at closed resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
A lot of resorts which still have a good base have closed recently or will close after this weekend.

Would it be frowned upon to skin up the closed pistes somewhere and get some fresh tracks? Has anyone here done this before?

Seems like it could be a good chance to ski some itineraries or off piste runs (or even pistes with fresh snow on them) that ordinarily get tracked out very quickly when the lifts are open.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@musehead, we did it in Serre at the beginning of the season when certain lifts and runs were closed without any issue as the pisteurs were preparing the piste.

And at end of season would not be any issues.

I just cycled up the Col de Vars today and you can drive through the resort at 1,900, park up and skin the piste up etc

But why skin up the piste, why not just go touring, pick a road that you know to be open, look at GeoPortal* and identify the ski tour routes on the map ?

That's if you're in France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'd need to check your insurance. Skiing on closed pistes would generally equate to "skiing against local advice" or similar, and you'd not be covered. Even on a policy which did cover off piste without a guide.

But people do this all the time - early in the season, too, and with just a few inches of snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@musehead, if it has snowed, and that's still possible, then what's the advantage?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

@musehead, it's fine. I did it last week (been injured so not been out since that photo was taken on Thursday) and there were various lift-company people around at the bottom working on the lift etc. and no one batted an eyelid. Obviously you need to be able to call someone if you are out alone and fall and be insured to cover that (Carte Neige for me).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@miranda, you too? so many injuries at the moment. What happened?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@musehead, I do this frequently, and fairly often my best skiing of the season is before/after the resort opens/closes. Never had a problem, and it's not a particularly unusual thing to do here. Skiing deep tracked powder alone on what is normally a crowded piste is pretty satisfying!

I'm not sure @pam w's insurance concerns would really be a problem - it's not really the pistes that have been closed, just the lifts. When they're not actively closed due to a danger then I don't think you could say skiing them goes against local advice, but that's just my opinion. I'm also fairly certain you'd be covered by things like the Alpenverein insurance (rescue/repatriation rather than medical costs mind), but a better plan would be to just not fall over/crash wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, oh no, just a foot problem keeping me off skis this week under doctor's orders - frustrating but hopefully soon healed... not superstitious at all but now touching wood!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

it's not really the pistes that have been closed, just the lifts. When they're not actively closed due to a danger then I don't think you could say skiing them goes against local advice, but that's just my opinion.

yes, that might well be right. It's a bit grey, isn't it. But Carte/Carré Neige is the best bet in that situation.

@miranda, good, glad it's nothing major.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I guess the advantage of being able to ski fresh powder (ideally!) in places I'm already really familiar with. I also like skiing powder when it's on top of a piste, a very rare thing when the lifts are still open.

Also, route finding is much more obvious and you're not in the middle of nowhere if something bad were to happen.

It would be pretty cool to get the spooky feeling of being the only person skiing in a resort as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@musehead, now't wrong with that logic.

We skied the pistes on the La Grave glacier this week just as they opened the lifts, had not been pisted, in fact was a better line back to the lift than if you had skied outside the ropes and powder was the same judging by the tracks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

route finding is much more obvious

once the piste markers have gone it might be less obvious than you think. When I'm walking in summer, in an area where I ski a lot, I find myself wondering quite where I am in relation to the piste. And of course, even if you're on the piste, the base won't be as reliable as when the piste is open. I'd say you need to be just as careful about route-finding, terrain and snow pack stability, as you do anywhere else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, think you're erring on the side of health and safety just a little too much here.

After all this is the Off Piste Thread Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I'd say you need to be just as careful about route-finding, terrain and snow pack stability, as you do anywhere else.

I would say you are right, at least wrt to snow stability. This video yesterday from les 7 Laux where the group is touring around the closed pistes. Here she is cutting between what would be 2 ski runs on a 35 degree slope. A 10cm slab but a terrain trap and she is nearly buried, another few cm and no friends with her and it could have been a drama. I see her hubbie was really pressed to go and help her out!

http://youtube.com/v/pqhex8rj0tA

A friend of Henry Schniewind was partially buried by a snow canon avalanche at the start of the season a few years ago in Val d'Isere Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, Shocked she seemed to think it was quite a laugh being entirely buried except for her face.
snow conditions
To translate: cameraman: "she's been caught in an avalanche, your missus.... take a look"
Husband "... oh yeah" goes back to chatting to his mate.
snow report
Thanks for the advice - I did this today at Engelberg. Skinned up to Jochpass, which for some reason was freshly pisted all the way up (despite closing for the season on Sunday and 50cm+ snow since then!) making for a very easy and fast skin. Skied down on untouched powder close to the piste. Lovely!
ski holidays
It's no different to going for a walk isn't it?

Not sure we can be bothered to get the ski gear out, but may well go for a snowshoe stroll at the weekend.
snow report
Hiking up closed resorts is the best! Often better than when they're open. Like today in Gargellen (photos by my mate Chris):

[/url]
snow report
@clarky999, lucky you. I'm in the office and not jealous at all. wink
ski holidays
@Steve Sparks, a walk where you get to ski down!
ski holidays
We did it in Zauchensee a few weeks ago, 10th June if my memory serves.
About a 2 hour hike up the mountain through the meadows with skis, boots etc on the backpack, for about a 5 minutes of skiing (and some improvised water skiing at the bottom over a pond of meltwater).

Was it worth the effort, hell yeah! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I actually need to start a summer trip report thread for this, we got some great pics Cool
snow report
Here you go...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126216&highlight=
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy