Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry In Iceland - Can't miss tours?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to be in Iceland this week starting 4/22-5/1. The four of us are having trouble finding what objectives are worth doing.

1) What are some can't miss objectives? We'll be spending 5 days near Akureyri (at least) but have a car so worthwhile day tours anywhere around the island is fine.
2) Any guidebooks or maps we should buy?
3) The only avalanche forecast I found was this but it seems to lack detail. Any better ones? http://en.vedur.is/avalanches/forecast#region

Our plan was to visit a guide office in Reykjavik the first day and try to suss out a plan.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we heli skied in Iceland with Arctic Heliski. The owner (JB) is or was one of the few IFGMA guides on Iceland and also has a website called: www.bergmenn.com which has a lot of info on it. The Troll peninsula is a good base and has a lot of fairly obvious objectives. I would think about speaking to him to see if he can help. I hope that helps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I quite fancy a bit of heli there as it's close, and prices are similar to Canada. Some of the guides there are Canadian based, and the season runs late, which is handy. The downside... is they don't have any trees, so maybe you need a place with poor vis alternatives also.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, we were there end of March, early April and were v lucky with weather. There are no trees anywhere in Iceland that is skiable as far as ai know so if we went again we would do it in May/June. Snow is (to generalise) spring/corn ie not powder. Think I posted a trip report somewhere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are around 11 ski resorts in Iceland. All tiny.

The best stuff is in the north of the island.

Hire a Bergmenn ski guide for a few days. They are in Dalvik.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ollieon, if you're still having issues (which I doubt) there are loads of places in town you can get some tips. The Backpackers hostel and the ski shop in town will contain people that can give you some tips as will the staff at the ski area. Lots of ski touring being done up there. A burgeoning heli ski and cat ski market as well. Lots of easy to spot lines of varying complexity. Snow on the way for the weekend! That's as good as the avi forecast gets but it's significantly better than when I started touring here as there wasn't one!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy