Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skis on the roof - ruining your skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jonny, I've no doubt it works for your riding (I've found the same as you for commuter hack bikes, they just soldier on forever as they don't really get a hard time), but no way could you do serious hardcore winter muddy enduro rides without a serious cleaning session afterwards. Not unless you want to replace the entire drivetrain every week. They can often look like this after a long ride, especially if the ground has a lot of clay. The one in the pic is actually not that bad. We are straying well away from the salt question now though, which has never been an issue for my bikes when transporting them on the car roof.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2, If your kids race, their skis will probably be in contact with a fair bit of salt on the piste towards the end of the winter.

I was using 10kg of salt each day the last week that I skied, the skis went in the shower before I did.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:
@valais2, I have a similar concern when I see multi-thousand £/€ mountain bikes on roof or tailgate (worse) racks during the winter. As you describe, they are effectively being jet washed with salt spray for potentially hours at a time Shocked

Some of us RIDE our bike on roads with salt! And our bikes survive just fine.

Indeed, there seem to be a load of over sensitive types on this thread. Probably the type that talk about their 'quiver' of skis.

I cycle my carbon Orbea Onyx winter bike through winter when im working in London and as others have said, it doesn't do any damage other than the chain and sprockets needing more regular replacement.

I really can't see putting skis on the roof doing any significant harm either. If you're a bit anal then a hose when you come back at most would be all thats needed. I've seen pro ski racers driving off with skis on the top of their car so it can't be that bad.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
carbon Orbea Onyx

Carbon isn't corroded by salt and water though. Probably the perfect winter bike material in fact.

This seems to have turned into a bike maintenance thread now...

How often do you lot regularly inspect your bindings? I'm often fiddling with my stance on the snowboard and so they get looked at regularly. Had the same set for 10 years on 3 different decks and there's never been any sign of corrosion. Not much contact with salt either though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
valais2, If your kids race, their skis will probably be in contact with a fair bit of salt on the piste towards the end of the winter.

I was using 10kg of salt each day the last week that I skied, the skis went in the shower before I did.

Can't imagine that 70kg of salt is going to do much good for the ecosystems of the small mountain rivers it will flow into!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My motivation for cleaning bikes has to do with riding it the very next time. If I leave the dirt un-washed, I can distinctly feel the extra resistance from all the sand and such (see @uktrailmonster's picture). Lubing of the chain is pretty much required to keep the bike ride-able the very next day. Or, I would be spending the entire next ride WISHING I had cleaned the drive train.

Compare to lubing the drive train, the little bits of hosing the dirt off is the easier bit.

That said, I really don't go all nuts in cleaning my bikes, apart from the quick wash and quick lube.

I don't transport my skiing on the roof. If I do, I may hose it off following a long journey, but ONLY if there's significant road grim visible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs, ....they don't race at the moment - actually thinking hard about my smallest (age 10), since I have been grabbed by quite a few coaches and asked to put him in for race prep, but living mainly in England and miles from any training venue, I am not sure that this is a good idea - but I hadn't realised about the application of salt....so found this....interesting

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/what-makes-a-race-course/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy