Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clarification needed: Ski Carriage on Lufthansa

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm slightly confused by the wording on the Lufty website. On one page it says this:-

Quote:
Ski or snowboarding equipment as free baggage

In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may take one piece of ski or snowboarding equipment free of charge on your Lufthansa flight. The maximum weight of an additional piece of ski or snowboarding equipment must be within the weight limits of the travel class you have booked.

To me, that says that I can have a 23kg bag AND a ski bag weighing up to 23kg; although the bit in italics could be interpreted in a couple of ways i.e the ski bag can be 23kg or the total weigh of skis and bag is 23kg. Clearly the former is the desired interpretation.

On another page is says:-

Quote:
Flat fees for ski equipment as special baggage

If your ski baggage exceeds your free baggage allowance, you can of course check this in as excess baggage; you will find the corresponding flat fees for your ski bags below:

That seemed to contradict the first page although it could be interpreted as being "if you brought 2 ski bags then we'll charge you."

I know many on here use Lufty frequently so I'm sure I'll get a definitive answer.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't tell you the official line, but on most airlines, the deal is that basically, you can carry an additional piece of luggage - if it's sports equipment - Free Of Charge; however, the total weight of your normal bag, plus your sports bag, can't exceed your normal weight allowance.

So if your weight limit is 23kg, you could take a 15kg holdall and an 8kg ski bag. But if your ski bag weighed 10kg you would be over the limit.

Airlines used to be more generous, but it led to urine-extractors like me, filling ski bags with normal clothes, to increase their luggage limit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to phone Lufthansa and confirm that it is OK to take skis on your flight. They are carried free if there is room in addition to your suitcase. I think the last time we flew Lufthansa they didn't weight the ski bag, he just asked me what it weighed. All of our hold bags were about 20kg, and I said the skis weighed about 20kg so the weight limit must be per bag not in total.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I flew with them last month. When I rang to book my skis on the flight I was specifically told that I was allowed up to 23 kgs of hold luggage plus a ski bag of up to 23kgs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Looking like it could be Lufty rather than easyJet for our trip. Not much in it cost wise but better flight times woth Lufty.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaza, We fly a lot with LH and we take up to 23kg hold bags (and put our ABS rucksacks in here), 8kg carry-on, and you have a further 23kg of hold ski allowance but you have to tell them you are taking them before flying, its then FOC. Needless to say we never use our allowance. EJ are much more expensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty sure it is handbaggage plus 23kg checked baggage plus "1 ski kit" (which is 1 pair of skis+sticks or a board plus 1 pair boots plus 1 helmet, which may be in separate bags).

Make sure the "I have checked baggage" option is selected when choosing the flight/fare, since LH introduced an Economy handbaggage-only lite fare last year, and that €20 cheaper fare does not allow the checked bags nor the free ski carriage. IME, they automatically choose the fare with baggage allowance for you as the default.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just make sure that you buy a ticket that includes hold luggage. I think it's called Economy Classic. Then, as others have said, you can take upto 23kg of ski stuff in addition to suitcase. The cheapest fare option (economy lite) is hand baggage only.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I flew out with Lufthansa on Saturday and called them to clarify.
Bizarrely I can take my skis in my double ski bag (up to 23kg) and take a hold bag (up to 23kg). But I can't take all my kit in my double ski bag alone.
As others have said - you need to call them to have the ski bag booked in first and I understand that it may be that you can't take it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ray Zorro, it's because of manual handling reasons, ie it's less than 25kg then its handlable by one person.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy