Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long does it take to bed in boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My feet weren't in brilliant shape after my first trip out with new boots. At the moment I've convinced myself that it's because they still need breaking in, but how long would this process normally take roughly? The footbeds and liner (part intuition) were all molded when I got them fitted so they should have been at a fairly good starting point and I've skied them for two weeks now. Would you expect much more change with more ski time?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What issues are you having?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bruised toe and also a bit of pressure across the top of the foot as I have quite a high arch.

I'm not sure whether all the damage was done on the one day where I wore socks that were too thick though. Things were definitely better once I'd switched to thinner socks but I couldn't tell if any of the residual discomfort was just the result of the thick socks or whether the boots were partly to blame as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@el nombre, a bruised toe and pressure across the top of your foot might indicate that your are leaning on the back of your boots a bit, which forces the foot forwards and can raise the heel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@el nombre, I wouldn't worry about the sock situation.
Where were they fitted?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@el nombre, it takes 3-4 days for the liner of a fitted boot to pack down a bit and give good levels of comfort, however the two things you say (black toe and pressure on top) would both suggest either a lack of flexibility at your ankle joint or leaning back... thin socks will help give you a little more space but they can't fix the other two possible issues
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got them fitted at Edge and Wax and had a bit more work done on the footbeds at a place in Niseko that I've forgotten the name of. The guy in that place did say that i didn't have a lot of flex in my ankles. The reason I was questioning the socks was that it was significantly more uncomfortable with the thick socks and immediately better when going back to thin ones (thinner than the ones I had been initially wearing). I did find myself skiing a little more back seat than I wanted to be though. The Niseko guy suggested taking the "Power wedge" off the back of the liner which i can't remember the exact reason for but it sounded kind of counter intuitive to be doing that when I was already further back than I should have been.

Either way, it sounds like the boots are probably more or less as good as they're going to get without more work though . Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@el nombre, removing the power wedge will allow you to be more upright to start with rather than being pushed forwards, guessing it was Boot Solutions in Niseko, if it was a Brit it may have been Matt an ex employee of mine, or maybe an Aussi Ned Buckley who owns the store
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@el nombre,

I had similar issues with very snug fitting boots. I think you'll find that the liners continue to pack out over time and will get incrementally more roomy. I would go for the thinnest socks you can find - I skied in sock liners for several weeks (very thin) and now use a thin ski sock (smartwool phd). I'd also suggest keeping the front two clips as loose as possible - only the 3rd, 4th and power stap really matter in a snug fitting boot. Oh and unclip when you stop for coffee or lunch. You are right that once you get sore it is hard to recover. The other thing that helps is standing in a skiing position (knee flexed) in lift queues / gondolas rather than standing upright (flexing knee pushes heel back and takes pressure off toes).

All that said, you probably are leaning back a bit too much too. Most people do.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
@el nombre, removing the power wedge will allow you to be more upright to start with rather than being pushed forwards, guessing it was Boot Solutions in Niseko, if it was a Brit it may have been Matt an ex employee of mine, or maybe an Aussi Ned Buckley who owns the store

I think it was Matt yeah. Definitely seemed to know a bit more than E&W. The thing I still don't get is, surely i want to be more forward? Taking the power wedge out will as you say make me more upright and make the angle of the ankle closer to 90 degrees. With the ankle like this surely when I bend at the knees, my body weight is going to drop towards the back of the skis? Unless you're suggesting that I still get the same angle of flex at the ankle but just start off more upright, but i don't really understand what advantage that would have. Sounds like I'm missing something here.

I also wonder whether my chicken legs have anything to do with it. I don't have big calf muscles and the ratchet plate bit is already set at the smallest it will go. I had wondered whether using something like these http://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tongue-shims/ (even though they're primarily aimed at shin bang) to take up some space might have any benefit, particularly if i take the wedges out from behind the liners. The only issue there being that they extend down towards the top of the foot where I'm already tight for space. Would maybe have to do some trimming if i went with that idea.

I'm also going to try using the laces that came with the liner. I've never used them before and I'm not sure if they'll really do anything for this problem but people say it helps generally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy