Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

liners in, liners out ... overnight drying

Poster: A snowHead
@foxtrotzulu, in line with @Stecleary84, I think it's fine with some boots - my Salomons (X wave, 1080s, Xpros and my son's Nordica, Salomon and Langes) all come out really swiftly and easily. But it's not with others - my Tecnicas and my partner's Heads are a right pain, and do get damaged when wrestling them in and out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take my liners out, the boot boards and the footbeds. Then I put my electric boot dryers/heaters in my liners before bed. Then in the morning, before breakfast, I put the dryers/heaters in my boot shells. That way the shells are warm and expanded before I put them on.

The boot boards and footbeds will just dry by themselves.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't get my liners back in again, therefore I never take them out. If the hotel doesn't have boot dryers then I give them a good blast from a hairdryer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu, I remove my shells first before taking off the liner, everyday, without problems

@valais2, Try the tape over the toes, you might find it fixes the problem easily. I hope it does.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queen bodecia, Let me Google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=liners+into+ski+boots

It's easy once you know how Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeDaSp, except that I'm not built like Geoff Capes...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just put the boots on a radiator.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to remove the liners, also with my snowboard boots.

Someone mentioned newspaper to get the inside moisture out, not so good now I read mine online. I was told that disposable nappies are great for this job too, but I haven't tried it. Came up on a MTB forum, as 5.10 shoes are like sponges.

May have to try it....

Simone
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely if the boots take in snow/water then there is a problem with the boot and even if you dry them overnight they will soon be wet again.

Agree some liners are much easier to take out than others.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Stecleary84, hmm....a new pair of socks for each day. This is a gift for Smartwool? At Christmas that's 14 pairs of socks for me. 14 for each of my kids...that's 42 pairs. 14 for my partner, so a total of 56 pairs. As we drive down the A26 our estate would be stuffed with socks....

Mine get washed every 3-4 days - I am not like my friend Anthony, who once said early in the days of icebreaker being brought into the uk '...this merino is great, just doesn't smell...' '...how long have you been wearing it?...' ' ...two weeks nonstop - it IS a bit crunchy...'.

I think new socks every day would be excessive but I try to wash them before they get crunchy...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2,
Quote:

I think new socks every day would be excessive but I try to wash them before they get crunchy...
+1
Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not new socks, valais2 (and Hurtle): just clean socks. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
@Stecleary84, hmm....a new pair of socks for each day. This is a gift for Smartwool? At Christmas that's 14 pairs of socks for me.....

Or 7 pairs each and wash them in the sink during the week, Clean socks, Not new
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its simple as previously said get a nice heated boot bag.

Boots go in at end of day
Start of day they come out warm dry and easier to put on
Simples

With the added bonus of tech kudos points in the bar.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

That won't keep them dry during the day though
snow report
I must be unusual, my boots don't leak, my liners don't get wet, and I can wear the same pair of socks for a week without them stinking.
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

That won't keep them dry during the day though

But if they are getting 'wet' enough during the day to cause a problem then the problem is elsewhere i think.
snow conditions
@ansta1, sure but it's not that uncommon - lots of boots leak at the toes (Lange in particular), and duct tape should fix that. my heads leak (before that I had atomic, which didn't) and I use a small amount of tape on the toes (of the shell) and it works. there's no point drying them out overnight if they're just going to be wet again early on in the day, I feel
snow report
Do boot warmers actually dry the boot out? My liner has a plasticky/rubber type material on the outside. So whilst the warmer would dry out the inside of the liner, between the shell and liner would just really warm the moisture up a little. The gaps aren't big enough to allow too much evaporation.

Removing the liner is the best option for me.

I did see someone on a lift a couple of weeks back who seemed to have a cycling style over shoe covering the tops of his boots. Quite possibly something like this... http://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-BootGlove-Boot-Covers/dp/B000MTRX9U?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Those dry guy covers are MAINLY for warmth - the neoprene will dramatically cut down on the windchill... which is truly horrendous on a -30 deg C day in .... oooh, say Mont Tremblant. Yes, i've endured it, hence why i now have those covers for the really cold days. I actually lent them to my best friends wife when we were at Granite Peak, Wisconsin, on a -23 degC day... and she normally has real cold foot issues, but stayed out onmthe hill with me after the others scarpered into a lodge for warmth.... so they do help.

I'd recommed boot warmers - find a set that blow warm air, that are dual voltage, and mine also have ducts out the to to dry and warm your gloves at the same time, so perfect. Leave on for hours at night, and first thing in the morning to get the liner and boot a bit warmed up.

This is the one i have - although dpn't think it is dry guy branded, but same design
http://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-Transporter-Boot-Shoe-Dryer/dp/B001KW01HO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1460697899&sr=8-9&keywords=ski+boot+glove+dryer&tag=amz07b-21

ps that wife i mentioned also had some boot warmers of the non hot air, hot 'brick' style malfuntion and melt her inner boot - go with the hot/warm air blower type as above!
latest report
coops1967, that DryGuy device looks a good bit of kit
But fascinated by USA Economics: "2 new from $34.99, 1 used from $49.95" Puzzled

Addendum:
$34.99 offer (new) won't ship to UK
$49.95 offer are used - "Very Good" condition, but not in original box
$79.99 is new, but won't ship for nearly 3 weeks coz not actually in stock rolling eyes
latest report
Something that might help for drying out moisture when you don't have a boot heater or convenient radiator, chucking 1kg of cat litter in some old tights (and then knotting the tights so it can't go everywhere) will draw out a lot of moisture, and conveniently comes in pairs for each foot. Might as well treat them as disposable, or chuck the tight/litter bags on the radiator through the day to dry out and then into the boots overnight.
snow report
This is all very interesting....being facetious, so far I am:

Loading the car with a huge bundle of socks - 52 pairs in total
Carrying a large bag of cat litter and 4 pairs of tights, drying the cat litter on the radiator each day
Not taking boot warmers which will melt my inners and set fire to the chalet
Taking a large pile of newspapers (remember those? BBC online clearly won't work in the same way)
Taking 4 large boot warmers which also warm gloves
Carrying all this means no longer taking one of the kids with us.

Somehow, taking out the liners and putting them on the (cool-ish) radiators in our chalet still sounds like a good option.

But seriously, very good to get insight into all the different approaches which SH's use - and to imagine the squelching sound throughout Europe, at 5pm, as everyone heaves out their liners...
snow report
@valais2, this is the answer:

You can squeeze in a couple of pairs of boots, gloves and goggles for drying and warming. Can be plugged in to the mains or 12v socket in a car. Possible to use them as carry-on luggage for flights (if check-in staff don't look too closely), for neatness the shoulder straps can be removed or stored in their own pocket, there's a helmet store and other zipped pockets for storing stuff. Wouldn't be without mine (in fact, I've got two of them). They are available branded as Head, Lange or Atomic but I believe they are all made by Hot Gear.
ski holidays
Hmm. I chuck my damp and snowy boots into the back of the car or leave them in the hall, and they are dry again by morning (if it's cold and I remember I put them in the foot well to warm up if driving to resort next morning). Liners out maybe once at season at most. Never had a problem so far...
latest report
@clarky999, Rock and roll!! Thought you'd be sleeping in yours just in case you get up in the night for the loo, pull back the curtains and its snowing - you can do a few drop-ins IBK style before breakfast without wasting any time!
snow report
@Markymark29, haha if it's snowing I'm probably not sleeping wink
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
@valais2, this is the answer:

You can squeeze in a couple of pairs of boots, gloves and goggles for drying and warming. Can be plugged in to the mains or 12v socket in a car. Possible to use them as carry-on luggage for flights (if check-in staff don't look too closely), for neatness the shoulder straps can be removed or stored in their own pocket, there's a helmet store and other zipped pockets for storing stuff. Wouldn't be without mine (in fact, I've got two of them). They are available branded as Head, Lange or Atomic but I believe they are all made by Hot Gear.

Same here, plus i got a second heating element from HotGear in the us, this fits nicely in a ski bag so i can dry/warm several sets of boots at once or dry out any damp gear should that be required.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never understood heated boot bags for leaky boots - I know they'll dry them up overnight, but if you're boots are leaking in the first place, does that not bother you during the day?
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
I've never understood heated boot bags for leaky boots

I'm still struggling to understand people putting clean feet into dirty socks as if its normal
snow report
@Stecleary84, I hide all those posts
snow conditions
Snowheads, they're all bonkers.

Well I am anyway....
ski holidays
@PeDaSp, I can't get mine either in or out, and my hubby can't as his hands are too large for my very tiny boots.
snow report
@coops1967, interesting that they're mainly for warmth. It was 20C when this chap was wearing them (or something similar), I thought it was to keep slush out!
ski holidays
I guess the boot cover will also keep slush out... mighty sweaty feet too on a hot spring skiing day, mind you. Duct tape sounds a good option for the leaky Lange varieties.

I did want to get a heated boot bag but couldn't find a dual voltage version, not even the Atomic heated boot bag is sensible enough to be dual voltage ( once turned up to ski in the morning after leaving the boot bag in the hotel car garage overnight. The freezing, freezing cold garage..... doh! That was a noteably unpleasant morning in the ski boots....)
snow report
@Hells Bells, hang on .... Hands too big to get your liners out. I've paused to think about this. I have 26 boots and am 5 foot 7 - I've managed easily to get the liners out of my kids boots when they tiny - around age 3 they had 14.5 boots. My son was 3 feet tall then. That's a ratio of 1.9 to 1. And I could still get the liners out. So let's increase the ratio to increase the size of my hands - say 2.5 to 1.

So...if you are small, as indicated your mention of 'tiny boots', let's say you are 5 foot. Use that ratio and your partner must be 12 foot 6 inches. Or he's 6 foot tall and you may be 2 foot 5 inches. With Mondo 12 boots.

https://images.searchub.com/l-m/ski-boots-us-10-5.jpg
latest report
coops1967 wrote:
I guess the boot cover will also keep slush out... mighty sweaty feet too on a hot spring skiing day, mind you. Duct tape sounds a good option for the leaky Lange varieties.

I did want to get a heated boot bag but couldn't find a dual voltage version, not even the Atomic heated boot bag is sensible enough to be dual voltage ( once turned up to ski in the morning after leaving the boot bag in the hotel car garage overnight. The freezing, freezing cold garage..... doh! That was a noteably unpleasant morning in the ski boots....)

As posted earlier by Rob@Rar a lot of the heated bags are actually all the same bag with different branding, if you need dual voltage then it's perfectly simple to but a second heat pad (as i did) in a different voltage rating.
latest report
Or, you can get Zipfit liners. Easy-peasey to get out of the shell and back in again, which you have to (should?) do to put on or pull off the boots. Dry shells. Dry liners. Happiness.
snow conditions
Quote:

nd my hubby can't as his hands are too large for my very tiny boots.

I think you are doing it the wrong way!
Try - one hand grabs the top of the shell at the back. The other grabs the top of the liner at the back. Pull the liner up and slightly forward. Et voila!
Sometimes it can be easier to reinsert it by putting the liner on your foot and sliding your foot into the shell.
snow report
@jedster, ...spot on...

Ours are all whipped out in a few seconds using this technique and reinserted equally swiftly, big hands or not....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy