Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski advice for light woman (5'3, 94lbs)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm an advanced, relatively aggressive skier, max speed usually at 70-80km (or 43-50mile) per hour on piste. I'm 5'3, 94 lbs, looking for an all mountain with an off-piste/powder bias. any suggestion?
saw a deal with rossignal temptation 100 166cm, will i be able to handle the length given my light weight?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@yoyowoo, hi and welcome snowHead

Blimey, 42kg Shocked My luggage weighs in more than that!

Best thing to do would be to test out the skis if you can. They are quite long for your weight, but they do have a rocker so will ski a bit shorter.

My own comparison: 5'4" but 61kg (135lb), I ski a 159 all mountain (Atomic Storm) but also a 171 Whitedot Director CL (huge rocker!). I tested out a few with similarish stats to those Rossignols (Volkl Kenja, Blizzard Black Pearl) and found them too cumbersome and hard work, and I expect that someone who weighs 2/3 of what I do would too.

But I haven't tested these ones, so can't give a true comparison. If the deal is good, you may not lose much selling them on if you don't like them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What Scarlet said. Try to try some different things out - maybe by spending a week in resort on hire skis, and swapping skis daily. Most hire shops are fine with this.

There is so much more to skis than dimensions.

Rossignol are a good name and all, but I tried some much-anticipated Experience 88s out about 2 months ago, at the recommendation of everyone, and did not have fun at all. So even at end-of-season prices, buying blind is a risky thing to do.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would think that 166 will be too long in most things.
I am 5'4" and 52kg, and probably ski at the same sort of rate as you on piste. I currently have a pair of 165 Salomon x-max, which are harder to ski than I would like. Also have BBR 7.9 in 160 ish, which are great (I know, Marmite ski...!), but lack torsional rigidity. Had a go with the 8.9 when they first came out, which was a better ski but the shortest length was 167, and that was too long. Last year had Salomon X-Drive 8.something (can't remember!) in 160, which were fine for length, I just didn't like the ski much.
At the other end of the scale, one year I had a pair of 151 kids FIS slalom skis, and I was overpowering them, so too short.
So what I'm saying is that on balance, 160 seems to be the longest I'm happy on, and I am a smidge taller than you, and a significant bit heavier.
Trying skis out is the way to go!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks people for the excellent input!

for comparison, i've skied 2013/14 volkl aura 163cm (http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/volkl-aura-womens-2014.aspx) when was I less skilled, nevertheless, i felt very comfortable on those even in trees. this rossignol is 3cm longer, more rocker, shorter turning radius, lighter, would that make a good reference point?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yoyowoo wrote:

for comparison, i've skied 2013/14 volkl aura 163cm (http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/volkl-aura-womens-2014.aspx) when was I less skilled, nevertheless, i felt very comfortable on those even in trees. this rossignol is 3cm longer, more rocker, shorter turning radius, lighter, would that make a good reference point?

I refer you to my point "there's more to skis than dimensions"! You can't really judge how one ski will perform compared to another based on it's measurements. There's more things than that. Materials, weight, stiffness, etc etc.

It's not even so much about being more or less skilled. I am a decent skier, but I won't enjoy skiing on a lot of things half as much as on others. I like a heavy, stiff, narrow-ish, piste-biased all mountain ski, good edge hold is a must. There are some very highly regarded skis out there, which would fit fine by length, waist, category etc that I would not enjoy skiing on.

This time of year there's always deals on and it's really tempting to wade in and buy something because the prices are great. It's hard to tell you to ignore it and to go throwing more money away hiring. But skis vary hugely and there is every chance you will literally buy something that doesn't suit you. You will have less fun on the mountain, and it may prevent you pushing your ability as far as it could go with the right skis. A good salesman might tell you that something is a good 'middle of the road' kind of ski but I personally think there is no such thing. You would do well to take a holiday in a place where your accommodation has good access to a hire shop, and try as many things as you can in that time. Even if you don't find the perfect pair, you'll still have a much better idea about what properties in skis you like.

Perfect example, @karin above says
Quote:
Last year had Salomon X-Drive 8.something (can't remember!) in 160, which were fine for length, I just didn't like the ski much.

I on the other hand had an absolutely brilliant time on X-Drives, both the 8.0 and 8.8; and very nearly bought the latter. So it really is about personal preferences, and you there's not much in the way of maths to help you predict how you're going to react to any given pair.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Daughter tried ladies Experience 84s and found them too "soft" for her. On advice tried the mens 84 Experience Dark 162 and loved them.
She is similar to you in weight & height and I was not convinced she could handle a "Mens" ski but trying them back to back on a Mountain was the only way to do it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy