Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fugen, Austria advice

Poster: A snowHead
afternoon snowheads, i have booked self catering accommodation for xmas week 2016 in the Austrian resort of Fugen, this is mainly sight seeing for the family but will try and get to do a bit of skiing if conditions are right, main ski trip is feb next year.

Has anyone been to this resort, looks like you drive through it to get to Mayrhofen, and if so any restaurant/things to do recommendations, looks like there is a decent size pool with slides, ice rink etc for the kids.

Though we are driving, we were looking to visit Innsbruck/saltzburg via the train, but I cannot seem to find out costs for the trains in Austria via the internet, just timetables.

also what day is their big xmas celebration, is it xmas eve or day?

any other general advice will be greatly appreciated

cheers
terry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://fahrplan.oebb.at for the tickets, but their latest website design seems to make it impossible to do anything useful on this (old) browser.
The timetable changes once per year from about early December iirc, so there won't be prices available until about October-ish.

Xmas eve for the big dinner I think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fugen is a lovely little town, with a small ski area of it's own (Speiloch) which is now linked (with I think a short bus trip) to Hochfugen / Kaltenbach.

There are a few nice restaurants in the village and at the gondola base station, and a few lively après bars (family friendly).

The pool is apparently excellent, and there is a toboggan run from near middle station I think.

No idea on price of trains, but they tend to be reasonable in Austria on the whole. I'd have thought Innsbruck wouldn't be more than half hour or so, but Salzburg might be a treck?

FYI, the train line runs along the valley floor all the way to Mayrhofen, so that might be a nice day trip to do?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You drive past rather than through if you are heading up the valley to Zell am Ziller or Mayrhofen.

I have only accessed it from Katenbach, skiing over to Hochfugen, and the only restaurant (other than up on the mountain proper) I have eaten at was during the day at the Panorama opposite the gondola station in Hochfugen. This was about 7-8 years ago, so I don't really remember much about the restaurant specifically. I never actually got down to Fugen proper, I think that actually needs a short bus link.

I do remember red run 1 under that gondola being one of my favourite runs in the area. Incidentally, although the Kaltenbach/hochfugen/fugen area is all on one piste map and interconnected, the runs are separately numbered.

If you are taking the train to Innsbruck or Salzburg, there will be a change at Jensbach (I'm not sure whether there may be other changes for Salzburg as well).

The price from Innsbruck to Zell am Ziller wasn't much the last time I looked it up (under €10), but that was about as many years ago.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@terrygasson, I'm writing this on my phone so I'm not going to write a lot now (it's too irritating to type). I live in Fügen and can tell you all about it when I get home.
If you don't hear from me within a day or so, please message me to remind me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for all your info so far. @SaraJ look forward to hearing from you with a locals perspective.
cheers
terry
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think the Fugen ski area is linked to Hochfugen, at least it wasn't when I was last there three years back. Fugen is a tiny ski area, one old gondola up then one chair and a couple of tows. We had a very mellow New Year's Day there but I wouldn't want to spend more than a day there. Short trip on the train gets you to Kaltenbach, which is a lovely ski area that I'd go back to any time. If you've got non-skiers with you there's a very nice but just above the top gondola station that is only a 5minute walk for the non-skiers if they want to meet you for lunch. Can't remember the train prices but they'll be cheap. Innsbruck and Salzburg are both well worth a day trip. Mayrhofen is a pleasant town to hang out in too. I think you'll have a great holiday.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valkyrie wrote:
I don't think the Fugen ski area is linked to Hochfugen, at least it wasn't when I was last there three years back. Fugen is a tiny ski area, one old gondola up then one chair and a couple of tows.

There is a second gondola now (Panoramabahn), with a new piste under it. And a ski bus which links the two areas, taking 15 minutes from that gondola to Hochfugen (25 minutes from the old gondola).

But yes, if you are close to the train station in Fugen, it will be quicker to take the train to Kaltenbach (which is then lift linked into the Hochfugen area).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@terrygasson, So... What would you like to know?

Yes, the pool with slides and a wave pool etc. is good. It gets very busy on bad weather days during holiday times. The ice rink is a little dependent on the weather - hopefully we'll have a cold December, if so, it should be open.

The train to Innsbruck from Fügen takes about 50mins and costs €10 one way. To Salzburg takes 2hrs from Fügen and according to the oebb.at website it costs €45 one way. (That seems a lot considering a one way ticket to Munich costs €35.) There are discount tickets called Sparschiene http://www.oebb.at/en/angebote-ermaessigungen/sparschiene-oesterreich available which can be very good value, but you have to book a specific train. For both Innsbruck and Salzburg you need to take the Zillertalbahn train to Jenbach and then change. There are direct trains from Jenbach to both Innsbruck and Salzburg.
If the border control is still in place in December I would go to Salzburg by train.
The Christmas Markets, either Innsbruck or Salzburg, are worth visiting, but go before Christmas. They are normally still open after Christmas but it usually looks a bit sad with some of the stalls already gone.
There is a steam train that runs from Jenbach to Mayrhofen, once a day from 25th Dec. to 6th Jan. You can get on it in Fügen. http://www.zillertalbahn.at/page.cfm?pageid=80&switchLocale=en_GB

24th December is the Christmas celebration day. Most places close early on that day. If you want to eat out that evening then you will need to book, probably on the day that you arrive. The 25th is business as usual, though as this year that will be Sunday most places will be closed. Except for anything to do with skiing - that will all be open!

Spieljoch (above Fügen) is a nice little ski area - 2 blue pistes, 3 red pistes and a valley run. Apparently, the new piste that goes to the Panoramabahn Geols is quite a dark red. I haven't skied it but knowing where it goes I reckon it should be quite interesting. At the base station of the Panoramabahn Geols is a shuttle bus that takes you to Hochfügen in 10-15mins.

There's a toboggan run starting above Goglhof. It takes about 20mins to walk up to Goglhof from Fügen and then a tractor and trailer takes you to the start of the track. https://www.goglhof.at/
The Arenacoaster at Zell am Ziller is also fun. https://www.zillertalarena.com/en/arena/winter/abseits_arena-coaster.html?bl=/en/arena/winter/start_winter.html

Where are you staying? I can give you some ideas for places to eat nearby. Although everything is pretty close in Fügen anyway.

This season Hochfügen had night skiing on Tuesdays - presumably next year they will again. There's a bus up there from Fügen. The skiing is free, there's music, beer, a demo display and a Zipfelbob race. http://www.hochfuegenski.com/erlebnis/hochfuegen-nacht/

So, there's some information for a start... If you have more questions give me a shout.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi @SaraJ, thanks for all your tips so far, it never fails to amaze me how much knowledge is on this forum, I did not think I would get this much response in such a short time about this resort, let alone someone who lives there!!!!

we are staying in Ferienhaus Emberger (sleeps 11), it is in Konrad-Egger-Weg 15, but it is actually Fugenberg but I assume it is just a district of fugen.
on the map there shows a couple of restaurants within walking distance, which will be handy for xmas eve, don't mind driving any other time.
At the moment, it is just me and my wife and 2 daughters (now 12 and 9), so far from what I have been able to gather from most of these properties you pay a base price for the house for the week(for 5) then any additional persons you pay extra. so possibly there may be friends coming with us.

kids are excited already about A, driving through several countries to get there, B, spending Christmas in the mountains (skiing or not), C, the swimming pool in fugen (have not had a chance to tell them about the steam train yet) and D, scouting around Saltzburg for locations where the sound of music was filmed!!!!!!

no doubt I will be calling on you for other tips in the near future, if that is ok?.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also booked for Fugen (Wildahof apartments, near Speiljoch lift) for week 9, 2017. Us and another family. I think that's Karnival week? Does that mean it will be super busy? Super excited anyway...

@SaraJ, if I understood, you are a ski teacher? Do you have a link to a website? I'll PM you to pick your brains anyway if that's ok Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@terrygasson, I don't know Ferienhaus Emberger but having looked at where it is I'd say that you'll have amazing views from there - if the weather is good. It's a little way up above the village, not so far in a straight line but a bit of a windy road to get to it.
If it is snowing then I would expect that you'll need chains. Roads are generally cleared of snow, but the road up to where the house is will be pretty quiet so it won't be cleared as often as the busier roads.
I think Goglhof is the nearest restaurant. You'll need to book for Christmas Eve.

@Themasterpiece, Yes, I'm a ski teacher. You can contact me through my website www.alpinefreedom.co.uk or a PM on here. I'm happy to help, if I can.
Fasching week can be busy but queues and busy pistes tend to be at specific times and places. A lot of it can be avoided by avoiding certain places at certain times. For example, the 8erJet gondola in Hochfügen between 1030 and 1130 - which is usually the time that the skiers from Kaltenbach find their way there.
Wildauhof apartments look lovely. I often walk past in the summer. They're fairly close to the Spieljoch lift but it's not a walkable distance. Spieljoch ski area will be quieter than Hochfügen, though it isn't as extensive.
Any questions, give me a shout.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fugen is pretty, but skiing and village are low and tiny.

Drive to Innsbruck, Bolzano and Cortina.

Italy much prettier and better than Austria.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SaraJ, thanks for the update, was hoping I would have to use my chains as it would mean the possibility of skiing for a day or two. will look into booking a restaurant for Christmas eve nearer the time.
cheers
terry
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
terrygasson wrote:
Though we are driving, we were looking to visit Innsbruck/saltzburg via the train, but I cannot seem to find out costs for the trains in Austria via the internet, just timetables

I didn't have any trouble using [url]tickets.oebb.at[/url]. That shows the trains with the ticket price immediately alongside (Fügen to Innsbruck "from €9.30").
snow report
terrygasson wrote:
@SaraJ, thanks for the update, was hoping I would have to use my chains as it would mean the possibility of skiing for a day or two. will look into booking a restaurant for Christmas eve nearer the time.
cheers
terry

There'll certainly be skiing during that week, if you want it, whether it's snowing at the time or not.

Let me know if you want any tips about Innsbruck/what you're thinking of doing there.
snow report
@clarky999, thanks for the offer of advice, we have no real plans at the moment was just planning a spot of sightseeing in and around the area (including day trips to Innsbruck and Saltsburg), my wife has been to Innsbruck before albeit quite a long time ago before we met. I will contact you nearer the time, if that is ok, when I have done a bit more research, for some expert local knowledge.

@espri, thanks for that, when I was looking it did not seem to allow you to check prices from outside of Austria, but I may have been looking in the wrong places!!

cheers
terry
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy