Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Straightlining Val d'Isere...

Poster: A snowHead
A good slide from summit to valley in a couple minutes.

And a good one from Switzerland...

http://youtube.com/v/UYmcm5bKvxk

http://youtube.com/v/Pt0dPfV2a30&nohtml5=False

http://youtube.com/v/EMVPpPE_Bx4&nohtml5=False
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not especially bothered if Léo Taillefer kills himself but in the first video, killing someone else seems a distinct possibility. And if that happens, I hope the family concerned sues Go Pro for every cent they have. This is an utterly irresponsible promotion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
His idiotic yapping is enough to make me want to throw up. I assume the scene was set up. Skiing the piste perdue like that without any preparations would be downright suicidal, and probably homicidal for anyone else he happened to hit on the way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dogwatch, I think the strategically placed Yeti's show that this was, to some extent, stage-managed. I think it was @chocksaway who posted that it was set-up. There are other clues in the film such as some of the small jumps that he does. They had clearly been built for this.

GoPro didn't stage this. The story is that he was determined to win the prize for a competition that GoPro were running. Since then he is now sponsored by GoPro.

Having skied the Perdue a few weeks ago I'm utterly amazed that he was able to ski it like that, stage managed or not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gaza wrote:
GoPro didn't stage this.

They might as well have done. Offering a substantial prize makes it a certainty people will pull stunts to try to win it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that both of them count as 'dead men skiing' as it is only a matter of time......

In the first two videos he is cm from life threatening crashes, and in the last one, I am not sure why a controlled fall down a cliff won.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PowderAdict wrote:
I think that both of them count as 'dead men skiing' as it is only a matter of time......

In the first two videos he is cm from life threatening crashes, and in the last one, I am not sure why a controlled fall down a cliff won.

Is there no-one here who remembers what it was to be young?

As for controlled fall... doesn't that describe the whole of skiing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamcham wrote:
... Is there no-one here who remembers what it was to be young?

You have to ask? Check any "safety" thread here which really brings them out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chamcham, I remember what it was like to be young, its no different to how I am now. Maybe these guys don't have that little voice that says "What if......".

IMO When you don't have the option of stopping, it becomes a controlled fall Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamcham wrote:

Yes and I've now survived long enough to realise that most of what I thought I knew then was wrong.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dogwatch wrote:
Chamcham wrote:

Yes and I've now survived long enough to realise that most of what I thought I knew then was wrong.

That may be true, but at least you were free to think it
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Chamcham, I remember what it was like to be young, its no different to how I am now. Maybe these guys don't have that little voice that says "What if......".

IMO When you don't have the option of stopping, it becomes a controlled fall Toofy Grin

How do you know that he didn't do a full risk assessment, and decided that the benefit outweighed the risk? After all, he made it to the bottom alive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definite Darwin award candidate.

Totally batshit crazy.

Also I would be REALLY pissed if he hit someone else en route.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nicolas wants his head examining, how on earth those bits of snow didn't break away and avalanche heaven only knows. Come to think of it they all want their heads examining! God knows what they do if they get up there and then 'bottle it'. If the prospect of $20,000 price money is enough to cause people to place their lives at risk in this way then the competition should be ditched IMO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@iSnowhead, I don't believe they're doing it for the prize money - they would do it anyway. Youtube is full of extreme sports headcams. Looks like a lot of fun to me Smile
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
How do you know that he didn't do a full risk assessment, and decided that the benefit outweighed the risk?

Benefit to whom and risk to whom? I don't much care what risk they impose on themselves, the risk to others is what bugs me.
ski holidays
@dogwatch, The only one Nicolas Falquet (the "controlled fall") was putting at risk was himself. And the level of skill he demonstrated suggests that the risk was relatively small. The first time I saw that video, it was shown to me by a ski guide in a gondola at La Grave. The general response there was "Chapeau!" Interesting how different are the responses from different populations of skiers, depending on their context.
snow report
Some trainer I skied once described skiing as the art of throwing yourself at the mountain and missing. Don't see any problem, if you are not endangering anyone else; if you have the skills and a pair to match, go for it and don't bother about the nay-sayers. Mind you I was a bit concerned about the ruts that would have been caused in the Tignes XC tracks.
latest report
@Chamcham, wrote:
Quote:

the level of skill he demonstrated suggests that the risk was relatively small.

@Ski lots, wrote:
Quote:

Don't see any problem, if you are not endangering anyone else;

That's it though isn't it - the risk assessments, if done, probably only consider the personal risk to the skier themselves - as noted above there are always those you can crash into on the way down, but what about the safety of the mountain rescuers that might feel obliged to turn out to find them if the worst happens?
ski holidays
The piste perdue clip was clearly set up, the Tignes one had also had some prep; had a spotter at the bottom and did not exactly have other folk meandering down it as with the Swiss one. Yes there is a potential risk to rescuers, but that is true in so many adventure type sports and these days risks are assessed - see mountain and sea rescues in this country that are suspended due to deteriorating weather. These guys bother me far far less than the incompetent who jumps back onto a piste without looking or caring.
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@dogwatch, The only one Nicolas Falquet (the "controlled fall") was putting at risk was himself.

It's the video of Vallée Perdue that I was mostly commenting on.
latest report
I find the movement of the skier in these videos very unrealistic, in the first one in particular he doesn't seem to turn at all to slow down and yet also doesn't seem to continually build up speed into the tight bits, albeit maybe really good skiers can slow down without really turning?

I don't find these types of videos enjoyable, with the possible exception of the third one, would like to see that line from 3rd person perspective
snow report
Some people really enjoy getting wound-up about stuff like this. That hurts no one else, so is not really an problem for those of us with a bit more of a robust outlook on life. They can start threads on here to fight about "safety", although the most dangerous thing they probably do is eat sugar.

I'd thought that most people understand that all video and photographs are "set up": surveillance cameras aside, that's the total point of it.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
Some people really enjoy getting wound-up about stuff like this. That hurts no one else, so is not really an problem for those of us with a bit more of a robust outlook on life. They can start threads on here to fight about "safety", although the most dangerous thing they probably do is eat sugar.

Well let's see, I've:

Completed three Fastnet races
Flown a glider solo at 15,000 feet and cross-country 300kms
Crossed the Solent on a windsurfer
Skippered a racing yacht in a gale
Flown a paraglider solo
Led Very Severe rock routes, solo'd "difficult" rock routes
Led an abseiled down a 150 metre vertical rock face
Recorded first ascent on a multi-pitch Hard Very Severe route (seconded)

So I don't think I've led my life entirely as a couch potato.
snow conditions
Whether these very expert skiers have their stunts "set up" or not isn't really the point, as far as I'm concerned. Extreme skiers are killed quite regularly and provided they don't take others with them, that's their lookout. But they do invite far less skilled people, equipped only with a camera on their bonce, to emulate them.
snow report
They can do what they want and they are obviously very good even if they have a much higher 'risk to reward' mental state than I have. Personally I think the worrying effect is on the 'Have a go heroes' who try and emulate them - with potential consequences for themselves or others. GoPro would do well to put a disclaimer on the start of each video.

I have also done lots of adventurous stuff like dog above, but my nature is probably down to a successful career spending 2500 hours in the back of a fast jet (successful being defined as the same number of take offs as landings!). At the time of gaining my brevet the odds were one in 10 of ejecting and one in 20 of dying during a career of that length.
ski holidays
I like it! Live a little.
ski holidays
For all of those who think the guy is OK doing what he does have another look at the first video and ask yourself if he could ALWAYS avoid the 15 or so people he passes at high speed in the narrow couloirs.

Really impressive ski skills but as I said he is BATSHIT CRAZY and likely to take someone else with him when , eventually, he does the crash and burn thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I could well be wrong but it looks to me as though the film is speeded up a bit at various points.
He's doubtless bombing at various points, but at others he's putting in a fair few turns which I'm not sure are possible, from a physics pov, at the implied speed.
I also think anyone who tried to straigh(ish) line the perdue like that would have to have spent a very long time getting that good, and you don't get to spend a very long time getting that good if you're not thinking quite hard about hitting rocks and other people, because you are dead or paralysed.
snow report
3rd slope from a different angle? (And different skiers)

http://youtube.com/v/LXH4wqCPHBY
ski holidays
TQA wrote:
For all of those who think the guy is OK doing what he does have another look at the first video and ask yourself if he could ALWAYS avoid the 15 or so people he passes at high speed in the narrow couloirs.

Really impressive ski skills but as I said he is BATSHIT CRAZY and likely to take someone else with him when , eventually, he does the crash and burn thing.

This squared. I've no problem with the skiing or skill level other than envy but I do have a problem with the apparent disregard for other people "in the way" and there are several examples in that first video.

I'm happy to "Live a little" but I don't want to die a little. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@prog99_new, is it usual to be throwing hand grenades around when out doing rad stuff like that?
latest report
TQA wrote:

Yes. At every single point he passes people he could have cut up at least one wall to the side.
ski holidays
@TQA, @halfhand, As mentioned earlier it's obviously set up and pre planned, probably everyone in the video is exactly where they are expected to be.
snow report
@prog99_new, most of that was akin to base jumping without a parachute! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I can't believe the height of some of the drops they did. The skill and balance they demonstrated is superb.
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
@TQA, @halfhand, As mentioned earlier it's obviously set up and pre planned, probably everyone in the video is exactly where they are expected to be.

Pretty certain not all.
ski holidays
I thought they were great! First vid looks set up re all the skiers in the way. I watched it without the sound so no annoying yipping Happy

The camera angle in the 3rd vid is amazing - wonder how he got that. With a massive stalk thing?
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
I thought they were great! First vid looks set up re all the skiers in the way. I watched it without the sound so no annoying yipping Happy

The camera angle in the 3rd vid is amazing - wonder how he got that. With a massive stalk thing?

A big stick on his backpack. Not a followme drone. Or 10-foot arms.
ski holidays
Quote:

A big stick on his backpack

Adding to the list of things I want Very Happy
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
I'm not especially bothered if Léo Taillefer kills himself but in the first video, killing someone else seems a distinct possibility. And if that happens, I hope the family concerned sues Go Pro for every cent they have. This is an utterly irresponsible promotion.

http://youtube.com/v/d1p0UZAt4mc

What about this idiot who thought it was a good idea to straight-line the Hidden Valley in leather ski boots and Rossignol Stratos 210cm skis ! No helmet, beacon or airbag. If it wasn't for the fact that it was in 1960 and nobody knew where the Vallee Perdue was back then he could have killed someone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy