Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will these skis be too short?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at some Scott Punisher 95 skis in length 165, in Snow and Rock at the moment and really like the look of them. I tried them out briefly on the slope at Hemel and they seemed really nice but obviously thats limited to what i could try them on. I ski mostly on piste, with some off piste, and a limited amount of time in the park. I am around 85kgs and the skis seem to come up to eye level.
I am asking this now as originally i wondered if they would be to short as my rentals have always been longer, although i have lost weight since then and always found i didn't get on with the rentals.
These would be my first pair of my own skis and i see now they are on sale for only £165.
Do you think it would be worth buying?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say they were too short. with a full rocker I think you should be looking at head height or longer. Even the longer sizes have quite a short radius
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ben.metherell, Your height may help people here too Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@ben.metherell, Your height may help people here too

My height is just a little over 170
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ben.metherell wrote:
Quote:

@ben.metherell, Your height may help people here too

My height is just a little over 170

So not quite 171 Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

So not quite 171

Well if we're being exact it is 171 NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

So not quite 171

Well if we're being exact it is 171 NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It would be too short for some, but that doesn't mean it will be too short for you. This is your first pair of skis, and you ski mostly on-piste. I'm guessing therefore that skiing steeps and powder are not your priority. This being the case the ski might well be fine for you. I'm 180cm and my all-mountain skis are 176. It works for me.

You've done the right thing and demo'd them, and you've found them at the right price. At £165 I'd say go for it - the worst that can happen is you'll find you want to go longer in a season or two, and that really doesn't matter as £165 is barely more than a weeks rental.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say too short for your weight.

Some sizing info here which concurs

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/content/ski-sizing-guide.aspx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
I'd say too short for your weight.

Some sizing info here which concurs

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/content/ski-sizing-guide.aspx

Here's a quote from the page you've linked to:

REMEMBER! This chart is just a starting guide. If you have rented a ski length recently and found that this suited you, do NOT be afraid to select that size if it differs from the above - Length is a personal thing!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@telford_mike, yup absolutely but I'd say 165 is too small for his weight. My much lighter daughter and wife ski a 160cm ski

They will turn nicely indoors at 165, but won't be as good off piste and as stable IMHO, but then good for the park at 165cm!!

But as you point out it is a personal thing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about a Salomon TNT in length 175, I've been told they are a fairly similar ski to the Scott but this is available in the longer length
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben.metherell wrote:
What about a Salomon TNT in length 175, I've been told they are a fairly similar ski to the Scott but this is available in the longer length

It's more of a park ski to be honest, and only 85mm waist, so quite a different proposition to the Scott. And it wouldn't be great for you in the park, because it's too long for a freestyle ski at your height.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Other Ski i have looked at is the Rossignol Experience 84. This one i demo'd and again liked it, this is on for £275 - any thoughts on this ski?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heard very good things about the 88, so 84 may not be much different. If you're looking in that price range though, you have to consider this:

http://www.snowandrock.com/atomic-vantage-95-c//ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/70462?listing=true
snow report
telford_mike wrote:

REMEMBER! This chart is just a starting guide. If you have rented a ski length recently and found that this suited you, do NOT be afraid to select that size if it differs from the above - Length is a personal thing!

Valid advice. But not always true. I learned to ski on skis which were drastically too short for me because the place didn't have anything bigger. I thought I was doing fine on short skis... until I got around to trying big skis...

So this advice can work, but at least try and have a go on bigger skis first just for a reference point...
ski holidays
Long skis are a thing of the past. I remember well battling with my 205cm Salomons, I had earned my stripes, got my teachers badge and I could get down anything on them, but it was hard work and the ski industry needed to come up with something better if it was to survive. Short carving skis did that for us (thank you snowboarders!). Let's not sleepwalk back into silly long skis. Head height or a few cms below is all 99% of holiday skiers need nowadays. Off-piste junkies on their 195cm X 120mm waist skis are not the typical holiday skier.

And if you don't believe me, try teaching someone who has skis that are too long.... People might not ski quite so fast on skis that are a little too short, but they won't learn at all on planks that are too long. The OP in this thread is looking for his first pair of skis. He wants to have fun, not win the Kitzbuhel downhill.
latest report
I get you. Skis have got shorter, and one can have fun on things you'd once call short.

But there is short and TOO short. I am 206cm tall and learnt to ski on 172s!!! Very Happy Very Happy I'd say that's in the "TOO short" category...

I ski on 184s now, that's still short according to the book. But I couldn't find any 188s I liked and they won't let you put anything bigger as checked baggage....

All I mean is that whilst I'm all up for a bit of experimentation and finding the ski you like... not the one the book says you're supposed to like... it's usually good to start where you're supposed to and then work away from that point. Else you can end up on something completely unsuited to you, but convince yourself it's alright...
snow report
@telford_mike, not sure sweeping generalisations like that are useful. I have "long" 191cm off piste skis whereas my piste skis are 178cm, so "long" skis are still useful. When you add in the effects of rocker, the effective edge on my so called "long" skis is probably less than my old 203 Salomon Force9s!!

Do you really think 165cm skis are suitable for the OP based on his weight and desire for "some" off-piste, especially if you take into account rocker.
snow conditions
Kamikaze Pete wrote:
@ben.metherell, Your height may help people here too Smile

Skis don't know how tall you are...
ski holidays
@kitenski, I weigh more than the OP and I could ski off piste just fine on a borrowed pair of Elan 88s at 170cm this winter. The OP was looking at skis much wider than that. But I do agree that a few more cms would be optimal - pity he doesn't have that choice with the Scotts.

@ben.metherell, lots of food for thought here, and it's all good input. You're buying at the right time of year to get a bargain, so keep looking Very Happy
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
@kitenski, I weigh more than the OP and I could ski off piste just fine on a borrowed pair of Elan 88s at 170cm this winter. The OP was looking at skis much wider than that. But I do agree that a few more cms would be optimal - pity he doesn't have that choice with the Scotts.

Those Elan 88s have a flat tail, so actually measure 170. The Punishers are a twin tip with rocker, so are more like 155-160 (published length is normally the material length, before the skis are pressed into shape).

IMO those Punishers are very likely to be too short for the OP at 85kg.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
published length is normally the material length, before the skis are pressed into shape

I always wondered why there was so much variation between different skis that are all supposed to be the same length. Is this the case for all manufacturers?
snow report
@telford_mike, not all but most AFAIK. I know Down use a straight pull measure, and I believe K2 either do or used to as well.
snow conditions
So i ended up going back into the Exeter Snow and Rock store and managed to get a really good deal, with even more knocked off the sale price, on the Rossignol Experience 84 skis. They've been ordered in and hopefully should be picking them up on Wednesday Very Happy
latest report
@ben.metherell, best get a "last minute" trip booked before the season ends! Enjoy them!!
snow report
@kitenski not much chance of that happening!! Too busy studying to try to pass my A-Levels!! Going to have to wait until i go next season! Sad Only time i'll be using them is if i go onto one of the indoor slopes Sad
snow report
The Experience 84 is a good ski Very Happy But different to the Punisher. Much more flexible (IE less stiff... not like more capable of different things). And of course, narrower. So if you are mostly on piste you may find it an easier ski day to day... I have taken them off piste and they're still very capable.

One small thing to bear in mind is that this season it has been a very popular ski - both to own and to rent... I've seen them all over the place. So before heading to resort with them, you'd do well to mark them somehow to signify them as yours! Personally I have much less common skis, but I still bought hard-wearing stickers for my skis with my name and contact details on.

By the way - after the title of this thread - what length did you go for?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

By the way - after the title of this thread - what length did you go for?

Yes i definitely will be marking them in some way or another. Its nice to hear of someone else who has used them - until now most had only used the E88's

Length i went for in the end was 170, was told was most suited to be as the 180 would have been too long… Also they could give me more discount on the 170 than the 180 as was the last one in stock! Very Happy
snow conditions
170 sounds spot on, good luck with the A levels and enjoy them next season!
ski holidays
170 sounds perfect for your height. You can see Rossignol's size chart on the ski's product page:

http://www.rossignol.com/US/US/experience-84-ca-open--2015--RADEC02--product--alpine-men-skis.html?b=31558

And indeed you will see that - assuming you're a confident skier - they have given you good advice.

I have to be honest they are not my cup of tea at all. Far too bendy for me, and the edge hold wasn't up to my liking (I go for heavier, stiffer skis). But they were clearly capable skis and off piste they were very forgiving and good fun. It's all about personal preference. If you've not had a chance to try them out yourself, you could consider fitting them with a rail binding, which means if the worst happens and you don't get on, they'll be much easier to sell.
snow report
I bought some scotts "the ski" this year, im 5'11" and 88 kilo..got the 163 pne ( in blue) . They were fantastic.. Much better than my old x wings at 170
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy