Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bruised shin when skinning - how to resolve?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Any ideas as to how prevent my shin from getting bruised when skinning?

* It's only one shin that's affected (the left one), the right one is absolutely fine.

*The bruise is on the lower section of my shin, maybe 5-6cm above ankle bone level.

*It only happens if I do multiple days touring back to back - I've just done 9000m of uphill over a week.

*It doesn't rub (the skin is all intact, its just bruised).

*I've no pain in the same area skiing or indeed in any other part of the boot.[/list]

FWIW I skin with my boots in walk mode, top two buckles totally undone. I get no blisters or other pain skinning just a bruised left shin.

My mate suggested I must walk funny! Or I have different sized legs? Or maybe need to take smaller strides skinning?

Open to any ideas / suggestions for stopping it happening in future.

Many thanks
Fiona
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fiona, Don't skin 9000m in a week? wink

Everyone has different shaped/sized legs/feet, so it is entirely possible it is just down to foot shape. Bruising in that one specific place suggests your left foot is moving sufficiently every step to lightly impact the instep of the boot. I used to lose my big toe nail in one pair of boots, I wouldn't notice any pain in use, but within 2 weeks after the trip the sustained impact would result in nail loss. Bigger boots sort the issue.

If you are touring that much are you using lightweight touring boots with removal tongues in Dynafit bindings, or since you mention the top two buckles, are you using 4 clip boots in frame bindings?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't normally do 9000m in a week! We have been in Norway and the weather was nice so seemed daft not to get out every day.

I'm using tech bindings (G3 Ion). No removable tongues in my boots. They are 4 buckle dynafit boots Zzero or something - need to look at the boot or box to check the model etc.

I asked on the British Backcountry Facebook too and sounds like doing the top 2 buckles up on the boots up might be worth a punt to stop my foot moving so much.

I normally wear orthotics in my shoes but just use superfeet green in my ski boots so that might explain things. My left foot is flatter than my right...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fiona, Interesting about using orthotics in normal shoes but standard Superfeet in the ski boots, that may also come into this as many of us have custom made Sidas or Superfeet insoles in our boots for skiing but dont have any assistance otherwise apart from maybe a running shoe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy