Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What the hell's that, and WTFAW? The importance of good goggles....

Poster: A snowHead
Whitegold wrote:
Smart goggs with HUD is where it's at. Oakley Airwave, etc.

I'm bad enough at concentrating on what I"m supposed to be concentrating on.

If the football results start coming up in my goggles, it's not going to improve my mortality.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've concluded that it boils down to:
1) Low/flat light and/or fog/precipitation - high quality yellow lensed goggles (antifog, etc.)
2) Bright sunshine - sunglasses

Goggles for bright sunshine doesn't really need to happen, although I have found the Rayzor sunglasses/goggles 2 in 1 combo does work with the blue lenses, for those whose eyes water at high speed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@crosbie, ...yes that too was me three years ago, but I began to wear goggles so much that it started to feel weird skiing without them - including in Spring conditions. It began to be more comfortable wearing goggles-helmet than glasses-helmet and then I found that my eyes felt better - less dry, etc. A the clincher was following my son with his twin-tips, which on the last days of the season threw up a hail of corn snow from the raised rear tips - and only goggles were decent protection against this. So that was it ... a combination of weirdness and practicality led to all-year goggle-wearing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks everyone. Just when I have started worrying about ski length/stiffness/edge angle and boot cant/flex/fit from reading this forum I now need to add googles to the worry list after coping before with sunglasses and 15 year old yellow lens (dont even know if they are called a special colour!) Carreras!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dp wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Smart goggs with HUD is where it's at. Oakley Airwave, etc.

I'm bad enough at concentrating on what I"m supposed to be concentrating on.

If the football results start coming up in my goggles, it's not going to improve my mortality.

The hope is, it'll be the piste map, not football result, that comes up on your goggle
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
... He WAS effectively dark and in a cave - a very small dark cave created by hopelessly steamed up and useless goggles....

Um. As a caver, I'm fairly sure that's not the case. You can kind of ski down mud slopes sometimes, but it's probably environmentally unsound.

Steaming up of goggles isn't a technology problem in my experience - people who have trouble with that either don't know how to use their goggles, or they're falling over all the time, or they're working too hard... all of which are technique issues not gear issues. Lending them a fresh pair generally helps.

If they're riding beyond the limits of their vision... If you improve their vision, I'd have thought that they'd probably go faster, increasing the danger to everyone else. In a cave they'd probably be ok, or dead.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a very busy thread for 1 day.

I would love to have a very snazzy pair of goggles ... I try dropping hints in the run up to Christmas...
leaving catalogs about with pages turned over and prices and model numbers circled in ball point pen.

But they always buy me a cheaper alternative pair .. and then of course I have to wear them ..
or their feelings are upset.

So I never get to own a fabulous pair of goggles ...

I'd have to be very secretive and keep them tucked out of site in my boots and treat them like a ski mistress on a dirty snowy weekend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The most important reason for having properly mirrored goggles is so nobody can see you are crying on the inside of them about how much your legs hurt or how steep it is.

That and looking like a badass on facebook.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:

But they always buy me a cheaper alternative pair .. and then of course I have to wear them ..
or their feelings are upset.

I got the light hearted nature of your post, but I'm sure others will agree, this is why there is never ever any point in trying to get loved ones to buy you technical equipment as a gift.

They always go into a generic shop on the high street, ask the person behind the counter what they recommend, get sold something completely different and probably worse than what you wanted, and then you are obliged to either use something you don't want to, or feel guilty about leaving it in it's box forevermore with the excuse to yourself that one day, if you lost your other one, and were really in a bind, you might use it.

I am terrible for feeling guilty. A long while ago I put something on eBay that my nan bought me, because it wasn't very good. I felt terrible and created a second account so I could bid on it, and ended up paying a fair sum of money to buy something from myself, and paying the ebay fees on it...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Goggles... 'technical equipment' Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No doubt that in bad weather goggles that work for you or ones that don't can make the difference between the day being a classic or a complete PITA. I think goggles are much improved these days - most people seem to be able to get a pair that don't fog up for them. 20 years ago I think that was more difficult.

I wear googles pretty much all the time these days. The only exception is going up hill - I just run too hot when I'm exercising hard, particularly when I don't have the cooling effect of the breeze.

I've abandoned mirror finishes - they scratch too easily and when they do are really distracting. The lenses tend to be quite expensive to replace. I tend to go for an all round amber rather than switch. These can be a bit bright on real blue sky days. Have to say that both pairs of goggles I have are really fiddly to switch lenses. Would make sense to get one pair set up for bright days and the other for low light. I don't think you need to spend loads. My wife just bought some bolles with yellow low light lenses reduce from Eur38 to Eur25 in the season end sale and she really likes them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oakley hi-yellows are vastly over-rated - tried them, never put them back in, much better lenses for pea soup exist and have done for a long time. Oakley sell by apparent reputation and consequently folks think they have the best when, if they considered cheaper alternatives, they might find better products.

The day someone invents radar goggles that 'see' through pea soup and project a 3D image of the slope in front of your eyes they are going to make a fortune.

At the end of the day if the conditions are that *ra* that you can't see the patterns on your own set skis then, let's face it, it doesn't matter what you spend on them, no set of goggles is going to improve things .

Rule 5 applies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iSnowhead wrote:
Oakley hi-yellows are vastly over-rated - tried them, never put them back in, much better lenses for pea soup exist and have done for a long time. Oakley sell by apparent reputation and consequently folks think they have the best when, if they considered cheaper alternatives, they might find better products.

A point universally agreed by everyone who doesn't wear them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dp, interestingly I am a member of that odd camp that owns both Oakley and non-Oakley I also own a range of interchangeable lenses for the Oakleys, they are nice googles - don't get me wrong, if I am in a 'posing' situation in fine conditions (OK, a bit shallow I know, but it's nice to have acceptability 'nice' things in some situations isn't it) they are perfectly adequate - as much as any other on the market. However, they are not my go to set on the 'can't see the pattern on my skis day' googles. I must admit this has always surprised me given the write up that the Hi-yellows get for that - it might just be my eyes, but I found nothing to write them up for when it came to flat light. Expensive def. doesn't mean better in all situations.
snow conditions
This may be of some use when looking to buy a pair of goggles.

http://www.brentaski.com/blog/What_colour_should_ski_goggles_lens_be.html
snow conditions
Quote:

If they're riding beyond the limits of their vision... If you improve their vision, I'd have thought that they'd probably go faster,

This.
Quote:

The most important reason for having properly mirrored goggles is
looking like an ass on facebook.

and this.
ski holidays
@pam w, Ooh no, I beg to differ there. For those of us who are very light sensitive, cat 4 mirrored goggles are the best thing ever. Yes, you have to be really careful not to scratch the coating, and yes, I forget when I talk to people that they can't see my eyes and so may miss some conversational subtleties, but there is no way I could go out on a sunny day in orange goggles and not expect to have a headache and sore eyes from squinting.

I admit that they look cool, but that is just a bonus Laughing
snow conditions
@Scarlet,
you can get low transmission goggles without a mirror finish though
ski holidays
Quote:

I beg to differ there

As for the light transmission, you are no doubt right - my eyes are not very light sensitive, so I wouldn't know.

But as for looking cool, that's a matter of taste.... wink They always make me think of The Fly. Laughing
latest report
If light sensitive, go polarized. Can you get that in goggles?
snow report
@Orange200, Many goggles are polarized, but not all even expensive ones are.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@henzerani, ...for walking, climbing etc and attenuating bright light - and thus preventing light-induced issues - I would strongly recommend these - amazingly cheap, excellent quality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391223587479?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Very strong, very light, and really wrap around. Of course there's research that says wearing dark glasses fools the body into NOT producing melanin - which leads to less skin protection against UV, but that's another story....

Or buy them even cheaper here http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/products/bolle-contour-smoke-lens-contpsf.htm
latest report
@tarrantd, ...I think that this is a different model, without the adjustable bridge pieces, but nonetheless an excellent model and a real bargain. Had to dig deep to find if they are 100pc UV blocking, and turns out they are.
ski holidays
iSnowhead wrote:
@dp, interestingly I am a member of that odd camp that owns both Oakley and non-Oakley I also own a range of interchangeable lenses for the Oakleys, they are nice googles - don't get me wrong, if I am in a 'posing' situation in fine conditions (OK, a bit shallow I know, but it's nice to have acceptability 'nice' things in some situations isn't it) they are perfectly adequate - as much as any other on the market. However, they are not my go to set on the 'can't see the pattern on my skis day' googles. I must admit this has always surprised me given the write up that the Hi-yellows get for that - it might just be my eyes, but I found nothing to write them up for when it came to flat light. Expensive def. doesn't mean better in all situations.

As I said before though, your eyes may not be the same as everyone else's eyes. You (or I) have no idea what other people see.

So it is impossible to say that Oakleys will or won't do this that or the other. For me, having spent so much time wearing goggles in sunny, dusty places, I have tried a variety of well regarded goggle brands... and Oakley always come out by far the best for me. Nothing to do with brand name. I genuinely have far better vision through Oakley optics than anything else I've tried. But if it were a straight up fact, no other brands could exist.

Hence my comment - agreed by everyone who doesn't wear them. To people who don't see the difference, of course Oakley is just a name! But the same can be said for anything.

It is impossible to really say this is better than that, when it comes to goggles. It's perfectly possible that my eyes don't work exactly the same as yours, and that we're seeing different things, and that different goggles work for you, than for me. That's allowed!
ski holidays
Nice read, not checked every post above but thought this might be of interest?

I have essentially sold and used the same goggles for the last 5 seasons, firstly they were from Demon in the US and then from Summit in the UK, most goggles come from the same factories and tweaked a little for the brand name thats on it, so the original Demon ones some 5/6 years ago were the Electric or Spy goggles from the season before but at a quarter of the price.

This year I used the Summit ones again, but they have added magnetic lens change system now, takes 2 seconds to change from low to high.

Lenses have changed a little over the last few years and certainly an improvement now for low light conditions, in fairness even with a very easy lens change system I ended up using the yellow low light lenses more this season than ever before, not sure if my eye site is going! Or I preferred a brighter look even on sunny days?

Or I think if your skiing in varied light conditions, from sun to shade, trees, north to south slopes then the advantage is to keep the low light lens in more often than not, well it makes me feel more confident like that, not sure what everyone else feels?
snow conditions
@Orange200, @Kamikaze Pete, From what I have read there are limited benefits to having polarized lenses in goggles. They are unlikely to improve vision, although they will make the sky bluer.
snow conditions
@livetoski, ...the 'going from bright to shade is a BIG problem in mountain biking....' ...had that this Autumn ... Big hill in bright light then boom into single track in the woods - goodness only knows how we missed the trees...friends have have nasty mishaps in the past, like this.

...back to skiing...yes I do use cat1s with mirror for relatively bright conditions - brighter than one might think, and this does help with the bright-shade-bright problem, which as you highlight, is a genuine problem...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, your mate's problem could equally well be linked to just not looking ahead and properly reading the terrain, and not being able to judge from the shape horizon line what the terrain beyond is likely to be.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy