Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski improvement course for a few weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, after my skiing this year was cut short, I really want to do something next season that will improve my skiing, iv been looking at doing a season as a rep, however im not sure if the ski to work ratio will allow me much time to improve. Basically im thinking if i do a course for a few weeks of intensive learning id learn more than if i did an entire season in the mountains, and leaving me time to go skiing somewhere else a few weeks later into the season. So my question is, has anybody else done anything similar? or have any recommendations? Iv had a look but it appears to be a bit of a minefield. For perspective, im an intermediate, i can confidently do most anything on piste with the exception of moguls, not the most gracefully but safely. What im after is something as cheap as possible, more than happy to live like a ski bum for a few weeks, that will offer me the most oppurtunity to progress my skiing. Thanks to anyone who actually reads all this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh! Looks like I'm quicker off the mark than pam w, who will almost certainly recommend UCPA Happy

I haven't been myself, but many people recommend it as the perfect way to have a sociable and affordable extended skiing break. You could string together a few weeks in one of their resorts and move up through the ranks of their group lessons.

Try searching the forum for UCPA - there are lots of threads that might be useful to you.

Alternatively there's the instructor course route, but this may not be what you're looking for and might be pricier.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bloody hell that was quick! Thanks ill have a look, i did consider going down the instructor route as i know a few people who have and they loved it, but yes it definitely looks a bit pricier, however if this improvement course is going to be pretty expensive, i might consider paying the extra and coming out with a qualification.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a look at Tip Top Ski Coaching. They run Gap courses here on thé glacier in thé summer. You might be able to get something in time for next winter. Alex and Nele are very good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@treeslayer, You could always do some training in the UK before next season and then do some targeted training weeks in the Alps. Hit the snow with some ideas and things to work on... Don't want to plug ourselves but we run technical improvement weeks in the Alps which are good value.. I wouldn't suggest doing an instructor course or GAP year if you are an intermediate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you want to embark on the loooooong (and costly) process of qualifying as an instructor, and spending quite a lot of time perfecting your snowplough, you'd be better off, and have more fun, working on your own performance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if this improvement course is going to be pretty expensive, i might consider paying the extra and coming out with a qualification.

A qualification is only useful if you intend to use it.

Granted, it depends on the cost differential between the instructor course vs regular ski improvement course. If you can get the quali for no extra cost, silly not to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret thats not a bad idea but the closest fridge to us is tamworth and its hardly worth the £30 an hour plus lessons.... also im not going to be able to ski any time too soon due to my injury recovery (fractured verterbrae) Pam w thats what im thinking really just looking for other ideas and good schools/ courses as i really want some tutoring. abc im not saying im going to become a full time instructor, but in my mind it would be usefull as im looking to start doing a season every year and i think it would help, was supposed to be going to nz next week for a year but i cant go now
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@treeslayer, have a search round the forum. Its not too easy to get work with a basic instructor qual except indoors in the UK. Bar and hospitality experience probably more useful for working a season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oof fractured vertebrae doesn't sound like fun! Hope that gets better soon. Sucks that your NZ trip fell through Sad

It depends on what you're wanting to get out of it, and how tight your budget is, but I'm not sure an instructor course is the right choice for what you're after. The GAP courses in particular are a lot of money and are quite rigidly structured. I'd say you'll have more fun and spend less money by finding an inexpensive place to stay and joining some form of structured course. @skimottaret's courses are great so you could consider that (you don't have to have done their Hemel courses to join their trips abroad).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did a 4 week "All terrain performance Course" with ICESI in Val D'Isere this January. I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. We oldies upgraded our accommodation a bit, but you can book the basic accommodation deal which involves sharing a studio apartment with 2 others. It includes evening meals 5 days per week. Absolutely superb instruction mainly from Mark Jones, plus Rupert Tildesley, and Dave Cowell (who has to be the most chirpy and enthusiastic instructor I have ever met). They really take an interest in your progress and are great guys to boot!

The way the course works is that you ski with similar level skiers, some of whom may be doing BASI courses (level one and two) or on one week recreational trips, but you don't have to do the boring bits that they have to (2 days of first aid for example for the L2s for example). The first 2 weeks are full day instruction and the second 2 weeks are half days (by that stage we were grateful for the afternoons off...it's quite full on!). The groups swapped around a bit, so the tuition was pretty much always at the level you have reached and the improvement was incremental over the 4 weeks. It was My skiing has definitely improved.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pam wwhen you say basic is that the level one and two? iv got the bar and hospitality experience, enough to know that i would prefer to do bar work! Thanks Maireadoconnor, thats something else im looking at now, iv looked at the course you did perty and it looks perfect, how did you find it overall? youd obviously recommend it would you?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
@treeslayer, have a search round the forum. Its not too easy to get work with a basic instructor qual except indoors in the UK. Bar and hospitality experience probably more useful for working a season.

Regardless of qualifications, in Switzerland you'll make more money working in a bar or restaurant too!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford mike do you have any recommendations or websites for getting bar work in Switzerland?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First, choose a resort and identify the local hotels and bars from the tourist office website. Keep an eye on the hotel websites, also those of the bars, plus their Facebook pages if they have them. Local online newspapers sometimes advertise too.

Examples in our village...

http://wengen.bar
http://www.dasina.ch/en/about-us.html

Full list on the tourist office website:
http://wengen.ch/en/Holidays/GASTRONOMY/util/lists/iframe.php?listId=19&LANG=en&saison=winter

You'll also find the hotels on there. Our village is very small, and you'd probably be better off choosing a bigger place to maximise your chances of getting a job. Also depends what languages you speak.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy