Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storing boots until next year

Poster: A snowHead
Probably a daft question.....but

That is me done until December. Time to pack away the ski gear. I have pulled out the inner of my ski boot to ensure they are dry before storing. I will re-insert this before storing. Should I stick them in the loft or is that too warm during the summer months. Will the heat affect the lining?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Warwickshire? I doubt it. Just clip the boots up and put them in a bag. They'll be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We once had the boot linings eaten by rodents in a rented house in Chichester....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We once had the boot linings eaten by rodents in a rented house in Chichester....

Yes - that is the main risk I'd be worried about. Had that happen to my wife's ski boots and my mountaineering boots in the past.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I once had the top of one boot liner eaten by a puppy. Made for a bit of an uneven ski experience.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You ran over a puppy...?

A bit harsh, though possibly understandable in the heat of the moment...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take out liner and the footbed, leave to dry. Fabreze both and reassemble boot. Put boots in holdall and store in the loft until next season. Job's a good 'un.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
not ski boot related, but I once stored my snow boots in the garage, I went to put them on and found a mouse had shelled all the peas (for planting) in them, and took a bit of nibble of the boots themselves...

My ski boots live near the radiator in the living room, constantly getting dried after lessons much to the delight of Mrs LM Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All my ski hardware gears' away now, can't stand a hint of a reminder until next season, it's just too sad!😟well until I open the garage door to get a bike out and my ski quiver reminds me all over again it's another 8 months.....oh dear it's an awful feeling😂
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boots in a bag at the bottom of a wardrobe (after use, they dry on the floor of the airing cupboard), skis against the wall at the back of the wardrobe, all for easy access for the next torture session with IOS in Hemel. These sessions will be spaced out over the summer months but, as of today, my mountain season isn't over yet. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mine double up as office bookends or doorstops in the summer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mine are sitting beside my suitcase ready to be packed for next Saturday's departure.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine spend the winter in boot bags under the bed (built to be just high enough) in my apartment, along with 7 or 8 other pairs of ski and snowboard boots, cross country skis, a travel cot and a box of socks, gloves, thermals etc. I put them on the cold air blower to dry them but taking the liners out is completely impossible for my slightly arthritic hands. I can't even get the insoles out. The apartment is very dry (sugar left in the bowl for months comes to no harm) and they're fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I never take my liners out either.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, hubby tried to get my liners out a couple of weeks ago, so I could check the footbed and condition of the liner, as I'd had aching feet all week. HIs hands were too big to do it, and mine aren't strong enough, so I just dried them out and put them down in the cave.
snow report
It's never done my boots any harm. I once shared a room with a woman who wanted her liners out every night but couldn't do it herself and asked for my help. I didn't like to say no, and my hands were stronger then, but it was an absolute pain.
snow report
I was using my boots fairly weekly (at Hemel etc.) and was just leaving them to air dry in-between in the house. After I took a skiing holiday I decided when I got back to pull the liners out. I found that mould had started to form on the outside of the liners over the toes Sad Fortunately I had caught it early enough and gave the liners and the inside of the shell a good clean. I also invested in a warm air dryer (hotronic snapdry), which - although it doesn't blow air between the shell and liner - seems to generate enough warmth to dry that area out, I haven't had any problems since.
I'm not suggesting everyone needs dryers, but I think it's important to ensure boots are properly dry between the liner and shell before storing (I guess a few days in the airing cuboard might do the trick).
latest report
We have an electric radiator boot drier in our flat which gets the liners nice and dry in 3 or 4 hours but if I pull liners out after that then it is still damp between the liner and the shell. I don't bother pulling liners out routinely but I do get them out and let the shells air before putting them back in again for summer storage.
ski holidays
I am confident the roof is rodent free. Boots are nicely dried out so I will clip them up, put them in the box and store them in the loft. Thanks for the replies as always. 8 months and 12 days to go.......until then....... bring me sunshine I am sick of the rain.
ski holidays
Interesting what different people do. I take my liners out every night during the season, and then give then a good warm air warming every morning - absolute luxury putting your feet into warm boots, and so much easier to get on with the plastic that much more malleable. And since this routine my boots definitely less smelly than before.
For end of season: a couple of days with liner out to make sure shell completely dry, then back in boot and placed on top of wardrobe.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, I have cold air blowers in the apartment, which I use after skiing, and a warm air blower I use before skiing. My boots are always nice and warm. And not smelly!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy