Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Er...what's this salomon sizing all about

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a Salomon 26. I've always been a Salomon 26.
1080s (green translucent ones), x wave 7 and 9, falcon 9, and I've tried 25.5 - they hurt, even with fettling.
Shoe size 41 and 42 - 42 scarpa nepals....fit like a glove

So imagine my surprise when I go into A Ski Shop and put my foot on an official Salomon measuring thing. 25 mondo.

Do you stock x pro 90, 100 or 130 in a 25 for me to try? No....
Ok let's try on the 26 again. Fits really well. Feels like my 1080s.

When I get home I stick my foot on a sheet of a4, mark it at the heel and toe and measure the longest distance - guess what - 26cms

Phone around - no one has any in 25

Weird .... Any insights from SHs?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-04-16 7:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
from looking at their French site, they only do the xpro130 in a 25.... (cant see many shops stocking a rare beast like that!)

I've always been a Salomon 25.5 - but my new Quest boots feel bigger than my previous ones (evolutions' !!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, as I'm sure you know half sizes are irrelevant to the shell. 26 and 26.5 are the same shell. In most Salomon boots, the liner is also now the same, the only difference being the height of the baseboard. Most retailers only stock the half size because the shell is customizable so if it's too tight in the half size it will stretch to accommodate on heat fitting anyway. That's why you can't find a 25. XPro in a 25.5 is widely available. On sale in S&R at the moment.

Also (fairly) well known is that the current range of XPro and XMax fit most people a size down from their old Salomon boots. This is because the heel pocket is deeper and the cuff forward lean is more upright with less ramp angle on the baseboard. Long story short, if you were a 26 you are now probably a 25 (25.5 - same) for a performance fit.

If you can get into the smaller boot, you should. The skiing performance is exponentially increased. I am in an XPro 25.5 compared to all my previous boots being a 26/26.5 and the difference is night and day. From memory, my left foot measures 26cm and it fits in a 25.5 XPro no problem.

albob wrote:
from looking at their French site, they only do the xpro130 in a 25.... (cant see many shops stocking a rare beast like that!)

No, they don't. S&R have got XPro 130 on sale in a 25.5 right now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
STOP

before any more BS is spread about sizes half sizes and the likes here are the facts

the shell on the 25.0 and 25.5 are the same
the liner on the 25.0 and 25.5 are the same
the base board on the 25.0 and 25.5 are the same
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SALOMON 25.0 AND 25.5 IS THE THICKNESS OF THE SOCK LINER (STOCK INSOLE) and within the next 12 months that will most likely be the same and they will move to a 1mm shim installed under the sock liner on the 25.0

Atomic (owned by the same company, Amer sports) have taken it one stage further, the boot label/box label now says 25.0/25,5 and they supply the 1mm shim in the box

everything else is true for these reasons, most shops will run either 25.0 or 25.5 (normally the .5) the difference which is essentially the label on the box is there for big box stores and people who like to believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden

salomon boots run very long to size, i measure close to a 29, ski in a 28/28.5 in most brands yet can put on the salomon in a 27/27.5 and ski it with minimal work, troble is when you walk into that boot seller and say these feel too tight the first response is always well you measure 26 and this is a 25, it HAS to be too small... no consideration to how much physical space there is inside the boot or anything else that might be going on

for what it is worth we have both X-Pro 100 and X-Pro 120 in 25.5 on the shelf (we carry down to 24.5 in mens recreational boots if the manufacturers produce them)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CFM-you seem to be somewhat of an authority on this subject? I recently went into a Sport 2000 shop in Les Sybelles to try the Salomon X-Pro after reading a review by someone who has Strolz boots, which I have. The review was very positive. However as soon as the boot fitter measured my foot he said I wasn't suitable for this boot. It was nothing to do with foot length but width. Are they particularly wide? Back in the eighties I did have Salomon SX 92 Equipe which I always liked, before moving to Technica TNT then the Strolz. View?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
CFM-you seem to be somewhat of an authority on this subject?

He certainly is.

Look at the link in his Sig.

He runs that place Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Alex. I will be in Northampton late in April. Not far from Bicester. Might check it out
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the last dozen years or so I've skied Salomon boots in a 29.5, and always been happy. Went to Ellis Brigham in Chester and came away with X-Pro in a 28. They're pretty snug, but I'm sure they'll be an improvement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Raceplate, "No, they don't. S&R have got XPro 130 on sale in a 25.5 right now..."

You misunderstand me (or I worded it badly..!) The OP was after a 25 "Do you stock x pro 90, 100 or 130 in a 25 for me to try" :: from the French website of Salomon, of those, only the 130 is made (or should that be available?) in a 25..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm going to shoot myself down now !

Ellis Brigham have the x pro 120 and x max 100 in a 25 Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Man Of Lech, the X pro is pretty high volume, (but then again so are SOME of the strolz shells) if you have a narrower foot then the X Max is narrower and lower volume, but it is not just width that needs to be considered, foot shape and overall volume is probably more important as you can make a boot wider in the forefoot, making it narrower in the heel is not so easy (un less you like sticky foam and temporary solutions)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dear All (and of course Colin/CEM) ....VERY many thanks for this. Did a shell check and a stupid amount of room in the heel (30mm) - should NOT have just rushed into shop in a big rush last autumn, rushingly grabbed a 26 (it's salomon, it'll be fine...) rushed out and stuck them in the back of the boot pile. Stupidity. Brain fade. Exactly what NOT to do.

Right...ellis brigham here in Flatlands have kindly ordered a stack of 25s in Salomons and Atomics, which is really good of them.

Anyone interested in brand new Salomon X Pro 90's in 26? Suit someone with a 27 mondo foot.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy