Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nitro Black Widow

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of getting one of these:

Mainly (and I am being honest here) cos it is black and I kinda have to have all my main things in black - car/bike/etc.

But also because it appears to be the right one for me... (according to their board selector).

Any general thoughts on these? good - bad - indifferent?

A Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dunno, but libtec do a Black board with Magna traction (wibbly sidecut) thats supposed to "make ice feel like powder" which I've seen some good reviews of?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! I will check it out...

The problem I am finding is that cos I'm quite ikkul, I only fit ladies or junior... and all the manufacturers seem to think that girls like pastel flowers & patterns.... which are ok but I don't.
I'm also completely lazy and I don't do enough reading up on stuff... I don't understand what different boards do and what they are for... I don't understand the different shapes & base constructions... !

So, basically I have no idea what Magna traction is or a wibbly sidecut (haircut gone wrong)...?? Puzzled but it sounds cool Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
from what I understand it gives better edge pressure and less chatter when nailing it straight. but looking at it they only do theMT on the biggies, whats the max length board you can deal with?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My current board is a 147 although I seem to get on better with a 145 hire board when I visit Snowdome etc... I would say 147/8 max.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

available in 141 and 146 with that graphic Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oooh now that's not so bad Very Happy

Thank you!! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nitro make excellent boards. If you are an experienced rider you'll probably get on very well with the Black Widow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with ponder, my understanding is that the Black Widdow is geared towards more "top end" riders. Depends on what you want to do. If you want to bomb around on piste at decent speeds go for the Nitro.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ponder, Richie, well this is it..... not according to their website - put 'inter' into their calculator thingy and it churned up that one and another...?

I'm definitely not a "top end" rider Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Honda Kitty, Perhaps "top end" is a bit too strong. A decent intermediate rider is probably more realistic. From what I understand, having never ridden one, Nitro boards don't mess about. They are decent stiff-ish boards that need proper handling on the slopes.
Nitro come up with great names for their boards, such as the afore mentioned Black Widow, The Punisher and Dark Horse (which is an eeeevil board)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so are you saying that theyre more easy to catch an edge with? less stable at speed but quicker through the turns?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a NITRO board, a scope. It's been great for about 2-3 years now! Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie, I've found a dealer in Banff & I'm going to try to get a 'ride before you buy' demo...

Thanks for all the replies you lovely bunch of people Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nitro tend to produce boards on the stiffer side. My understanding Like Richie, is that the Black Widow requires an aggressive rider. Basically to get the best out of the board it needs riding fast. It will be stable at high speed but the catch will be when trying to cruise at slow speed the board will be harder to handle than a softer one. Just be aware.
snow report
Honda Kitty, my daughter has the earlier version of this:
http://tightboards.com/shopping/products/06_nitro_snowboard_fate_147_womens.asp

She is a confident rider, but not expert, happy enough on blacks and some rail and kicker experience at low level, she is very happy with her board. Very Happy
snow conditions
lo-ridah, not necessarily more likely to catch an edge, and certainly not less stable at speed. When people refer to "advanced" board, what they generally mean is stiff, and with less sidecut. This makes them very stable at speed and through choppy conditions, however you need a fair bit of power through turns to decamber them properly. A softer board will make slower, more relaxed turns more easily, and will generally enter and exit turns more easily as well. An less experienced rider may find that they have more trouble changing edges on a stiff board, and may find themselves getting locked into turns. Howver, someone who rides fast and powerfully will love a stiffer board.
To give you an idea, I haver a stiff freeride deck, and when I'm riding it fast and hard it's beautiful - reacts to my every movement, ploughs through anything, never twitchy at speed. But when I'm riding slowly it's a tank - has very little torsional flex (you need torsional flex for low speed turns), and sometimes I almost have to hop from edge to edge at low speeds, since the board doesn't want to bend/flex torsionally into the turn.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy