Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big resorts in the Alps: am I missing any?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all the responses. Plenty of shouts for Austria: St Anton and Saalbach look interesting, will add them to "the list" Very Happy

I notice Austrian resorts tend to be lower than French or Swiss ones. Presumably, due to the colder winter climate and given how skiing in Austria is pretty much the national sport, this doesn't affect snow cover and conditions, etc. too much? I ask as I used to ski in Val Cenis (when I was growing up, haven't been for nearly 15 years now) and sometimes snow cover could be sparse, and the snow could get quite slushy down the bottom, which I don't like all that much.

@driz Very helpful, thanks.

@Masque I quite like the variety offered up by a big resort. I am happiest bashing down reds and the odd black, and while if I enjoy a piste I will happily ski it several times I wouldn't want to spend my week going over the same pistes. Also the big resorts offer the opportunity for a bit of an "exploring" day, such as visiting the Glacier du Pisaillas from Tignes. I quite like the sort of "adventure" feel that brings. Does that make sense? Silly? Maybe, but there you go... Also, and I may be wrong on this, and biased from my old days in Val Cenis, but my feeling is the bigger resorts have more modern lift systems, which means you spend less time going up the mountain, and thus more time going down it Very Happy which is after all the primary purpose of a skiing holiday IMHO
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque wrote:
@mad for chelsea, hello flower, welcome to slush nuts and a simple question. Why do you think that you need a "big resort"?

There are plenty of tiny resorts that can challenge you far beyond your skills, St Foy for a start, sweet location, lots of variety within a small footprint, some great accommodation and access to Italy via randonee if you want to push harder. It's a bit difficult to suggest much unless you tell us whether you're just a focused piste mile-muncher or an Explorer. . . Oh and @Whitegold's, just an anal cyst that survives on the agar petri dish we keep handy just to remind us that because life can exist, it doesn't mean it should.

+1, although I hate St Foy name popping up too much for the selfish reasons. In my books St Foy offers me more in terms of skiing and enjoyment than 3V, 4V or any other multi-km area ... plus best ski rents found so far in Europe, both in terms of choice and price. Evening meal options is the only not perfect element out of everything that I value for a ski hols. But hey, it is mentioned again, so go and explore! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton is not a cruisy reds/ blacks type place, you can do better if that's what you're after. It excels in Freeride/ offpiste and I don't read this as what you're after.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Don't forget Innsbruck is only 90 minutes from Lech too. In fact it is nearer than Frederichshafen and way closer than Munich or Zurich.

After four attempts at landing at Innsbruck earlier this year, I shall never use this airport again ... I take a similar view of Chambery ... both great airports when there is good visibility but incredibly inconvenient when the weather closes in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I notice Austrian resorts tend to be lower than French or Swiss ones. Presumably, due to the colder winter climate and given how skiing in Austria is pretty much the national sport, this doesn't affect snow cover and conditions, etc. too much?

As said, Austrian national sport is skiing, precisely because there are lots of mountains and lots of snow. Ignore the fact that it "tends to be lower", because in many cases they actually tend to be higher. And Vorarlberg (and I think even more so just over the border in Germany) is where you'll find the snowiest part of the Alps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy