Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This weekend: Mayrhofen or Hintertux?

Poster: A snowHead
Easy piste skiing only.

Looks like it will snow on Thu and Fri with freezing level at 1500-2000m. Sunnier on Saturday, sunny on Sunday.

Seems like Hintertux would be a better choice?

Or maybe Stubai? (for which snow-forecast shows a lot more snow coming in)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Be aware that being at the top of the 'Tux or any glacier resort in a whiteout is miserable. If you get a multi day lift pass for the Zillertal it is valid in all the resorts, so you could mix and match somewhat.

It's going to be a difficult call this weekend, up high with snow and the possibility of zero vis or lower with the likelihood of rain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen was getting very slushy by last Saturday after a warm week, Tux was still holding up well at the end of the week.

FYI there is a new heated chair installed at Tux this year servicing the areas over to the right at the top that used to only have drag lifts, we spent most of our time above the Tuxerfernhaus.

Top of the new lift last Friday.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like @JimboS says conditions were deteriorating in Mayrhofen and looks like it's been raining to pretty high levels today and a lot more due tomorrow ... I'd be inclined to go higher but visibility likely to be poor whichever location you choose.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon,

I would go to Solden. You will have lots of skiing open, including two glaciers plus some tree runs a bit lower.

We were there this time last year and more or less had the pistes to ourselves.

Snow conditions were still excellent above 2000m when we were there last week and the runs to the town were still open, though slushy at the bottom. We had great fun on the slush bumps lower down, although they still have runs open top to bottom - one of them being a 15km run from the glacier to the town, predominantly blue but with the last bit being an easy red. That run follows the route of the car/plane chase from the latest James Bond film, Spectre. You can also visit the "clinic" from the film, which is actually a posh mountain restaurant with stunning views. We didn't eat there but had a look inside. Very nice!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go to the Zillertal, the Hintertux gletcher has more interesting skiing than the others.
There is plenty of skiing along the valley if the weather is nasty.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TBH everywhere in the area is probably similar right now... The glaciers (and Obergurgl) should pick up a bit more being further south, but only worth it if/when the sun comes out. I'll likely be at Stubai on Sunday if you're about, but I doubt it'll be much better/worse than Tux.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horizon, contact @saraJ as she is based in the Zillertal all year round and has been for some years now. She teaches skiing at Hochfügen in the winter season and on Hintertux the rest of the year, so her advice is based on years of all year round experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tux looks like it was amazing today from this live cam.

http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?cam=5553&design=v3&c0=0&lg=en&s=0&lc=5552
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimboS wrote:
Tux looks like it was amazing today from this live cam.

It was!!!!

Snow was fantastic and we were above the clouds in bright sunshine all day.

Best day's skiing for ages Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anyone got any experience of Hintertux in october/early november time? will it be open and worth a flying weekend visit to get the season started early?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was at Hintertux late November last year and the conditions were excellent, so I can't imagine that the conditions a few weeks earlier would be that worse. It's open all year round.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, believe me, it can! October is probably the worst month for the glaciers. Of course you can get lucky, but usually you get up there and find a few ribbons of snow like stuff winding down through what looks like a mountain covered in shite. Not worth the effort unless you can decide spontaneously after an early dump.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang, +1 Can be great or can be awful, and you won't be able to know more than 5 days in advance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been a few times in October and November and there has always been good snow down to the Tuxer Fernhaus at least when I have been there, I'm guessing that from the top to there is about 2 or 3km, plus you have the park are at the top.

I will dig out some pics and post them up.

There is one holiday weekend in October/November that you should avoid as it is always extremely busy, Clarky999 will probably be able to say which weekend to miss.
snow conditions
Here are some pics.

If you go to Hintertux, it is best to stay in Mayrhofen as there is more to do there, like visit Scotland yard for a Gurkle.....

November 2004 first.

We were there for few days, white out all the time we were there from memory so not many pics.

A bit of preparation.

Somewhere on the hill in a white out.

There was a lot of snow, powder everywhere and snow right down to the car park.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-07-16 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Next, October 2005.

A bit more preparation.

View from the top across to the park.

SwitchD in the park.

There was snow down to the Tuxerfernhaus.

It was really, really, busy, what ever weekend it was it was one to miss.

I have never seen the car park like this before or since.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy