Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Douk Snowboards

Poster: A snowHead
I've got my eye on a Douk "Duke" to replace my battered old K2 Nemesis "http://www.douksnow.com/duke-2016.html". I like the fact that Douk are made in the UK and are a reasonable price for the tech. If anyone owns a Douk (or even a Duke) I'd be grateful for any views you may have on build quality, ride etc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heard good things about them - they work with Maverix snowboard coaching school. Know they also do a thing where you can design your own topsheet and even go to their workshop and build your own board from scratch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bit late but they currently have a sale on, some cracking deals! Bit of an email exchange between them and talbyem over why they thought girls boards needed pink graphics and they are making her a one off custom Twisted with the boys blue graphics the equivalent Slick board has for the very reasonable sum of £189.75 (same as the sale price of the regular pink one in the sale)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 8-04-16 5:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davkt, good job. I've pulled the trigger on "The Duke" for the sale price of £194.50. Not bad for the tech. I asked Dave if he could make it with a shallower side cut (9.5m) and slightly longer at 168W but he said that it would be a big job and would cost me £492. So I decided I'd give the standard 164W a go and if it was any good perhaps go full custom job next year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Enjoy! Guess the customisation on Em's board comes to no extra work, make the standard 148 Twisted core then as the dimensions of the 148 Slick are identical just add on the graphics layer from the boys pile.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rode a duke and a asbo earlier in the year and they were both good for the money.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AHHHHHH, I am very tempted by the Slick at the sale price! I've been looking for a freestyle board for a little while...

I need to see if I have enough pennies in the piggy bank
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got an email to say Em's custom twisted has been shipped, under 2 weeks for a made to order impressive service!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived today and a very nice board it looks! Will report on what Em thinks of it when she is back from the Ex and we've been to Tamworth to try it out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Duke arrived yesterday and it looks great. Huge amount of camber, quite stiff - should be good. I'm going to try it out at Mt Hemel and will report back.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After a chat with Douk I plumped for a 156 ASBO and it arrived today. I cant wait until December so I feel a dome trip will be on the cards...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chivdog wrote:
@davkt, good job. I've pulled the trigger on "The Duke" for the sale price of £194.50. Not bad for the tech. I asked Dave if he could make it with a shallower side cut (9.5m) and slightly longer at 168W but he said that it would be a big job and would cost me £492. So I decided I'd give the standard 164W a go and if it was any good perhaps go full custom job next year.

I think he'd have a good business model if he offered man sized boards alongside the kiddy selection given so few mainstream companies seem to offer much in this space.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The seem to be targeting the bulk of UK riders. Which space are you thinking they're missing?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it would be nice for just some companies to offer some of their boards in 168+ as standard. Not all snowboarders are 5 ft 6, 10 stoners.

I know many ranges seemed to stop at 163/164 as the superlong model. That's fine for indoors or technical terrain but it is nice to get on a longer board when on an open mountain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even the Aussies make custom powder boards with Japan being the go to trip destination.
snow conditions
Sure, I think they make park/beginner boards, nothing for the brave, but that's where the market is.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Im sure if you ask Signal nicely, they'll sell you something a bit longer than normal
latest report
Board tech has changed so you can get much better performance nowadays out of a shorter board than you used to be able to. Some companies still have some pretty big boards in their line up one of my boards is a 178 but the market isn't there for them to produce big boards in every model.
snow report
Quote:
nothing for the brave

What an odd thing to say. I'm more scared of breaking myself in the park than on deep powder lines...
snow conditions
francium. wrote:
Board tech has changed so you can get much better performance nowadays out of a shorter board than you used to be able to. Some companies still have some pretty big boards in their line up one of my boards is a 178 but the market isn't there for them to produce big boards in every model.

I'm not sure I believe the tech point that much - it's obviously in manufacturers' interests to have to fund fewer cavities. There was certainly a trend in skiing for a while to try to keep skis short but most respectable lines will now have their adult male freeride skis in a 190+ size (and rocker means that can be relatively short effective edge on hardpack. I tend to believe the same applies in boards. I've only ridden a board 2 days this year and found while it was fine in pow it sucked on traverses and hardpack heelside at 163. Time to dig out my early 2000s Yukon I think despite the cap construction.
ski holidays
Even the Big Gun makers like Kessler are reducing overall length in the range in favour of sculpting their boards.
latest report
Don't believe the tech point??? I've got 20 year old boards that ride nothing like modern boards with the addition of different profiles, materials how could they not be better? If course a 190 will be better than a 160 on hardpack but it'll also ride like a barn door as for problems on your heel side or traverses that sounds like technique to me.
snow conditions
There's difference between tech generally improving and the tech actually meaning that a longer board has no place. I don't think a long board necessarily rides like a barn door - GS boards are 185 IIRC and they certainly can be got over edge to edge quickly.

I thought it might be technique as admittedly I'm a bit rusty but I think the heel edge skipping was down to too much weight/power being concentrated on the front foot heel edge. Board is fairly flexy and has quite a lot of rocker which does lead to nose folding and I think non efficiently preservation of momentum on traverses. Gonna tune up my old tech Prior or Yukon for next time I think.
ski holidays
francium. wrote:
one of my boards is a 178 but the market isn't there for them to produce big boards in every model.

+1 Many manufacturers offer at least one freeride board over 168+. Eg. Never Summer the Chairman at 173 and a 169W; Arbor A-Frame at 170; Jones Flagship 172; Libtech SkunkApe 172 and 180. I'm 6ft2 and 115kg and I haven't had a problem with a 164 board length - I find that stiffness is more important for what I like doing. I'm also looking at a short effective edge sculpted all mountain board -something like the Dupraz D1 or maybe something even funkier like the NS Swift or the Capita Spring Break Slush Slasher.
latest report
My 178 is a dupraz d1 and it's brilliant, I've just come back from the board test in Austria and the capita slush slasher was one of the best boards I tested
latest report
leggyblonde wrote:
... What an odd thing to say. I'm more scared of breaking myself in the park than on deep powder lines...

You're not dropping big enough cliffs then wink
snow conditions
@philwig, that's definitely true! To suggest that park rats aren't brave though is a bit silly, big air require big balls, whether in the park or the back country.

Douk however will do a custom board so perhaps if enough people inquire about about massive planks, the standard range will be increased. Its pretty hard being a small manufacturer and having a broad standard range from the get-go.
snow conditions
I get that you didn't get the joke.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Puzzled its been a long week...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy