Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One adult with kids - safety issues

Poster: A snowHead
my wife has decided that she no longer wants to go on the family ski holiday, so now I'll be taking my 8 year old daughter and possibly other daughter 13 (who has a school trip so may or may not go depending on what I can sort out).
My question is what happens if I'm involved in some kind of accident - what steps should I take to ensure that my children are looked after in resort if I'm incapacitated.
Previously we haven't really had to consider it as there would 1 of the 2 parents around to sort things out but now I need to think about things a bit more.
Ok - obviously I leave emergency numbers with children's ski school if I don't turn up at the appropriate time, written contact instructions for ski school/hotel in my wallet if things if I'm unconscious but is there anything else I should be thinking of?
It's possible it would be an independent trip so no rep to make arrangements.
what do others do ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a nanny. If she is a looker, your wife will change her mind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Win win.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once you know when/where you're going there's a good chance there will be other SnowHeads there at the same time who would be happy to help as a worst-case backup and even ski with you during the week to make it a little more social.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hamish, I wouldn't worry about it. You are taking all the sensible precautions. Relax and enjoy the time with the kids. In the unlikely event of your being incapacitated the piste patrollers who took care of you would take care of them too.

Do you worry, when you take them out in the car, about what would happen in the event of an accident - a far mor dangerous scenario?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are on a DIY holiday then it will be a little more difficult but if you are with a TO then I'm sure they will have plans in place. I travel solo with my 8 year old and go with Esprit so I know he will be looked after if something happens to me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hamish wrote:
my wife has decided that she no longer wants to go on the family ski holiday, so now I'll be taking my 8 year old daughter and possibly other daughter 13 (who has a school trip so may or may not go depending on what I can sort out).
My question is what happens if I'm involved in some kind of accident - what steps should I take to ensure that my children are looked after in resort if I'm incapacitated.
Previously we haven't really had to consider it as there would 1 of the 2 parents around to sort things out but now I need to think about things a bit more.
Ok - obviously I leave emergency numbers with children's ski school if I don't turn up at the appropriate time, written contact instructions for ski school/hotel in my wallet if things if I'm unconscious but is there anything else I should be thinking of?
It's possible it would be an independent trip so no rep to make arrangements.
what do others do ?

Hamish, well done for thinking about this and I think the fact you have means ultimately it will work out. Although I go skiing with the wife, we and the two children don't always ski together. And in fact I've skied alone with both kids for an afternoon when they were 4 & 6. Heaven knows what would have happened if I'd been knocked out. I appreciate being out in resort alone adds to the equation. Agree with Pam to some extent but at 8yo I would just it's well worth talking through briefly what she may have to do and what may happen.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, briefing the kids always makes sense. From 4 years old my kids knew what to do if their diabetic father had a hypo. One dealt with a serious incident by phoning nearby friends (at 4) and another, at 6, recognized that something was wrong when Dad was going to drive off without strapping the baby in her car seat, removed the car keys and ran, taking the keys with him, to get help from his cub mistress who was, as it happened, a nurse.

Kids are far more capable than we give them credit for.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your replies.
I'm not worrying about this - I just want to make sure that I do take appropriate precautions.
I'm not expecting to have an accident - but people do regularly get carted off the mountain in a bag and I just want to make sure that my kids are looked after and reassured if it's me !
So - emergency contact numbers and instructions to kids on what to do.
I couldn't think of anything else but just wanted to check I hadn't missed something obvious.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Before I got mine phones, we would always set a meeting point if we got separated.

I certainly ski a lot more carefully when I'm out with them, especially if I have to drive back to the hotel. It's not as much fun, but I think my skiing has improved because of it Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally I'd never rely on phones. They can lose them, fail to charge them, fail to find an adequate signal for a voice call (that's the case much of the time round my apartment). I'd always have a fall back rendezvous.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You may also wish to check with your insurers that they will be looked after/repatriated etc etc. I'm pretty sure they will look after dependents.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But presumably, in the unlikely event you were incapacitated, your wife or another friend or family member would whizz out to help? If you have no back up of that kind travelling with TO would make sense.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, and they will probably fly out another parent to look after the children and bring them home .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wouldn't that be down to your insurance? But TOs do seem to expect to help and it would be easier than being on your own in a privately rented accommodation. When one of our group was invalided off the mountain I'd sorted out the doctors, crutches, skis and all that before getting back to the chalet, ready for a drink. The Rep was surprised that I'd sorted it out - it seems that most people look to Reps for all that. It hadn't occurred to me to expect anyone else to deal with it (we had insurance with Snowcard, nothing to do with the TO and I'd phoned them from a phone box as it was well before the mobile phone era).
ski holidays
I have spent a week on my own with a 6 and 8 year old as mom could not get time off work. They had a phone with dads and moms number (with uk dialing codes) and were made to practice on pistes/in resort how to use them. They both had our contact details (and names) in their pass pockets as well as insurance details. It is fair to add that my kids have been skiing since they could walk and have reasonable amount of time in the alps and have no issues to ski ahead of me to the next lift. Having taken reasonable precautions we had a fantastic time together and i would be happy to do it again.
snow report
@Hamish, there are a number of things on which I would rely in the same circumstances, and this from experience

1 having EHIC cards sorted and in place; having sound insurance - we use Fogg - knowing where the local hospitals are
2 having an established contact in resort eg ski school director, manager of accommodation, guide office - fully introduced to kids and what to do if there are issues.
3 names, insurance details, phone numbers and contact in resort in pockets
4 100db whistle in pocket - amazingly useful if separated at lift stations, big car parks etc
5 rules to follow when separated unintentionally - particularly in foul weather
6 routine call-in times to people at home

Hope this is helpful
latest report
Has always been just me and the 2 or 3 kids as we didn't start skiing/boarding till after the ex cleared off. Stared with them 5, 10, and 15, now 12 and 16 year old. They always know our hotel contact details, insurance details where to meet if separated, have a room key for the hotel room.
Did once end up a bit broken (torn calf muscle, grade 2 nearly 3) while skiing with youngest and the now 16 YO was at her snowboard lesson. At that point the arrangement was she took herself back to the small family chalet hotel we were in and we met there after the lesson. I ended up having to go to the in resort docs, we were pretty sure her route would take her past us and it did but had called the hotel and left her a message about where we were and that I wasn't seriously broken, and we'd be back soon. As it was youngest ran out and got her to come into the docs, the two of them then went back to the hotel and whiled away a couple of hours playing pool, eating the apres ski cakes running up the bill ordering the kids cocktail of the day from the bar.
Had another incident on our first trip which was a fairly small group single parent ski holiday, first day on the slopes a lady who I'd been chatting to over a drink with the night before and my kids had become friends with her daughter (same age as my youngest) was too busy on her blackberry to notice the button lift had got to the top, face first into the end tower! First I hear of this is a phone call from the rep, "I'm in an ambulance with X heading to the hospital (40 miles and an hour and a bit away over Transylvanian roads) she want a word with you." Lady comes on explains what happened and could I grab her daughter when the kids came out of ski school and keep an eye on her till they got back after she was checked over to make sure she wasn't concussed. Did so and explained what had happened to child, moment of concern then "oh that is just like Mummy and her work phone, can we all go skating together?" Suffice to say we have been friends ever since.
latest report
Quote:

Did so and explained what had happened to child, moment of concern then "oh that is just like Mummy and her work phone, can we all go skating together?" Suffice to say we have been friends ever since.

I like the sound of that kid! Very Happy
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Did so and explained what had happened to child, moment of concern then "oh that is just like Mummy and her work phone, can we all go skating together?" Suffice to say we have been friends ever since.

By the end of the evening she was most disappointed her mum got back to hotel about 8:30 that evening so the sleepover in our room they had been plotting wasn't needed!

Only down side to going away with the kids on your own is they will very soon (if not already) be better skiers/boarders than you are but will tend to get tired sooner than you do.
latest report
davkt wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

By the end of the evening she was most disappointed her mum got back to hotel about 8:30 that evening so the sleepover in our room they had been plotting wasn't needed!

Only down side to going away with the kids on your own is they will very soon (if not already) be better skiers/boarders than you are but will tend to get tired sooner than you do.

Could you not have let the kids have a sleepover in your room and then had a sleepover in mums? Just to make sure she okay, of course. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy