Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Sybelles ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Les Sybelles is the name for the ski area comprising of 6 villages in the Maurienne area in the western Alps. Nearest airport is Grenoble about 90 minutes drive, with Lyon & Turin about 2 hours away. There is a mainline train station at St Jean De Maurinne with a bus service up to La Toussuire which is the highest resort at 1750 metres. I met a British family group of 15 who had made their own way there using this route. Most visitors seem to drive there.
La Toussuire buildings are mostly low rise with lots of chalets and small apartment blocks and a few hotels. Contrast this with La Corbier @1550 metres which is mainly a set of 20 story ugly blocks.
The ski area is large BUT there are far too many drag lifts and older, slower chair lifts. For such a large area surprisingly there are no gondolas or cable cars anywhere. It seems as though they stopped investing there about 20 years ago. As we were there from Mach 26th to April 2nd 2016 some pistes & lifts were closed due to lack of snow. The village of Les Bottieres had it's only 2 drag lifts closed and run to the village also closed. Without your own vehicle there it would have been impossible to reach the ski area as they do not offer a bus service out of the village.
La Toussuire seems to be mostly visted by the French themselves and large numbers of Belgium's. In fact I traveled with a Belgium family which is why I ended up there.
I don't think there are any UK tour operators going there but Sunweb, a Dutch company with a UK website offer very good deals there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't have gone to les Bottieres that late in the season, it's low and tiny. I've stayed in St Jean d'Arves mid march and it was excellent, in fact our car got buried during a two day snowfall at the start of the week. I found the ski area a delightful change from the mega-resorts but the very slow chairs were like going back to the 80s (or to Switzerland...). I believe a few uk companies go to le corbier, I know Rocket ski do, but I find it easier these days (and cheaper) to book flights/car/accomodation. The biggest detraction of the area is the huge number of one-piece ski suits you will find there.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-04-16 8:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should have gone to Bulgaria.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were there for a day in mid March, snow Co error was great. The area around St Jean is definitely the most rewarding and Interesting skiing.... Also a decent number of fast lifts on that side.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swiftoid---Was there 30 years ago, TWICE
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy