Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tyre disaster

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Everything sorted - General Snow Grabber fitted by 3pm by Bath MOT Centre for £110 (235/60/18 tyre). Took about 10 phone calls to sort this morning, most places quoted 2 days and I'm still waiting for the main dealers to call me back!
Time to pack now.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu wrote:
skitow wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, What I am suggeting is that I would do that if desperate. Coming to a halt somewhere between bend 21 and bend 1 when my nice warm appartment is just beyond bend1 would not be on my agenda Toofy Grin (and I slide the tail of the car around all the bends when there is snow on the road anyway Very Happy
Somewhat diverting the main thread, but I'm curious. So, you really are suggesting having the grip on the non-powered wheels? That just seems counterintuitive. In an emergency I think I'd rather have the grip on the driving and steering wheels and then I'm not too fussed if the rear tyres are made of KY Jelly. Coming back down might be a bit hairier, but certainly for the ascent I'd be happier.

I think we have crossed our lines here somewhere. What I was saying was that I WOULD put the winters on the front, for grip as you say, and accept the risk that the back would slide. What I did say is that tyre and car manufacturers advise the opposite. Here is just the AA version :-http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/car-tyres.html If you search "New tyres front or back" you will get loads of other similar advice.

I was basing all my comments on front wheel drive as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skitow, Fair enough! That's what happens when my apoplectic outrage hinders my ability to read the entire post correctly! Mea culpa.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@simonbaddeley, have a great holiday... snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@simonbaddeley, great news, enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@foxtrotzulu, No problem, have been known to do the same myself Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
@andyman, I put my spare wheel on in order to drive the slow. 40 minute drive into Albertville to get the puncture fixed. Personally I find that an effective solution and a damn sight safer than those flakey runflats or even flakier toytown spacesavers. Evil or Very Mad

Why are run-flats flakey? Are they not safe to use as winter tyres? I know you have to drive a lot slower when you have a puncture in one, and range is limited too, but isn't is safer to be able to keep moving on a winter tyre rather than have to stop and change a wheel, particularly if the spare is a non-winter tyre?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have lived out here for 11+ years the first 4 of which involved a daily commute to Avoriaz ( normally coming down around 1am), then worked as a driver for another 4 seasons, so have probably driven the Avoriaz road as many times as the next person, and in many different vehicles. I speak only from experience, and am not a qualified driving instructor nor tyre fitter.
I have found it best to have grip at the front ( our non-4x4 has new studded tyres on the front and last years ones on the back ) on the Avoriaz road I tend to apply a tiny deceleration just before the bend to bring the weight of the car over the front, when I feel it on the springs, turn in and hit the throttle, I find this induces a small rear slide, which I then manage with a tad of opposite lock and the throttle control. If the back end is too grippy you don't get the slide, and the car can understeer. In my Subaru I had new on the front, and older on the rear ( nokian snow tyres, un-studded ), and you could get a little 4-wheel drift if you tried hard.

If you are worried about being safe - fit 2 new tyres on the affected axle and drive slowly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy