Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does '70%' mean?

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter and I recently skied Madonna di Campiglio and the Spinale Direttissima black.

Partway down was a red sign in honour of the great F1 driver Schumacher - the Schumacher Strei and 70% is mentioned.

The 70% I suspect refers to the slope... but what does this mean?

Is it 10m down, 14m out? And how does this convert to an angle of descent? Is it tan-1 (10/14) = 35o?

It was a great run, but the last bit was a tiny bit steep, and very hard packed, and quite icy in parts. We had to do it again as the first part was so nice.
She was much better than me btw.

Thanks,

TA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup, 35 degrees.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@shockingmoment, I'm pretty sure that, contrary to what you might imagine, 100% is not vertical. In fact 45 degrees = 100%

To calculate slope percentage take the drop divided by the horizantal run and then multiply by 100. So the Shumacher Streif drops 70cm for every 100cm of horizontal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is indeed a fantastic run, and the last bit is great, I think just the getting over the ledge makes people think twice, It was icy as hell when we were there, and I saw quite a few take off their skis and walk back up to the nearest lift.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Icy as hell.....?

Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lol,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@shockingmoment, I'm pretty sure that, contrary to what you might imagine, 100% is not vertical. In fact 45 degrees = 100%

No, there's no contradiction

Quote:
Is it 10m down, 14m out?

So, if it's 10m down and 10m out, it's 100%, which is 45 degrees. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

No, there's no contradiction

Quote:
Is it 10m down, 14m out?

So, if it's 10m down and 10m out, it's 100%, which is 45 degrees. Smile

I should have said 'contrary to what one might imagine'. I wasn't implying that the OPs calculations were wrong just generally waffling on about the topic. Personally, I would have thought that 100% should be vertical as a slope angle of, say, 150% seems counter-intuitive. ....... but I'm wrong Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The UK steep road warning signs changed from the old easy to understand "1 in 8" or "1 in 4" etc, to the current percentage system which gives "12%" or "25%". I suspect that most can automatically relate 25% to 1 in 4, but other percentages require some thought.

I'm sure it must be some EU directive rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve always been a bit puzzled by this but following the line taken above if a drop of 70m over 100m means it is 70% then what would a drop of 100m over 70 m be? Presumably 143%. That just sounds a bit odd. I think a description in degrees is more use in a skiing context.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu, vertical is infinite percentage.

@PowderAdict, Yes, 1 in 8 has been changed to 12% as it is easier to understand. Afterall you do not have to do the division. Of course it is not an EU directive.

@DJL, What is wrong with 143%? But I agree degrees are easier to understand
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look at http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/slope-degrees-gradient-grade-d_1562.html : it's exponential (if I've got my terminology right - years since I did maths) - as we know 45deg = 1 in 1 = 100%, but as you get steeper eg 80deg = 567.1%; 85deg=1143%; then approaching 90deg (vertical) becomes infinity% Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PowderAdict, Yes, 1 in 8 has been changed to 12% as it is easier to understand. Afterall you do not have to do the division. Of course it is not an EU directive.

What division? it's a ratio! I can visualise 1:8, I can visualise degrees, I struggle to visualise a percentage as a gradient. Must be getting old!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@anarchicsaltire, couldn't have put it better myself. At low angles % is more or less OK but as it gets steeper it gets silly. Not that I'm ever likely to ski anything over 100% / 1 in 1 / 45 degrees
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At slopes up to 25% it makes very little practical difference whether it is Sin-1 or Tan-1 as no-one is actually measuring the slope that precisely. Since I tend to ski along the hypotenuse I think the Sin-1 is the more useful one so for me 70% gradient is that I have skied 100m and descended 70m. (Not that I would want to ski anything that steep).
snow report
Maybe having 100% as 45° is somehow easier to calculate but I still maintain it's completely counter-intuitive. If 0% is flat, then perpendicular to that should be 100%. By the same token, 50% is clearly half way, i.e. equal rise for equal run. Having 85° convert to 1143% is utterly bonkers to me. Still, I guess that's the way it is.
snow conditions
Stop it now. You're giving me a headache. I'm off to think about the size of the universe instead, it's easier to grasp.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, vertical is infinite percentage.

We don't want to ski into the infinity. But we like to ski infinitely long. Laughing
latest report
but if 100 was perpendicular, ie 90deg then it would be gradians. ie 100 grad.
sometimes better known as the short lived French attempt at metric degrees (although still often exists on calculators - certainly is on my Casio ones)

as for visualising, what I visualise when looking at an angle on a sheet of paper, with horizontal and verticals, is much different to what I visualise when standing at the top of a slope, the bottom of a slope, and a slope when looking down on it from a chairlift. We even got out the android inclinometer app on a black run once because we didn't believe the angle of difficulty.

% or x-in-1 means nothing to me other than just meaning steep (ca 10%) or frickin' steep (ca.25%) when on a road sign.
snow report
Percentage of grade is just that: the percentage of vertical over horizontal. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you have trouble visualizing rise over distance, by all means use degrees. I personally find it equally easy either way.

Just like 1 of 8 vs 12%. It really depends on what one's doing with that number. If one in eight failed, the other 7 is passed. 12% of 8 is harder to understand in that context. But out of 10,000, 12% is easier to understand. If you're a road engineer or roofer, percentage of rise over distance makes perfect sense. But if you're making a chair, degree is what you use.

Ski slope? The signs were probably put up by the road engineers who are not skiers! Smile
ski holidays
There's a degree of marketing hype creeping in, I suspect. Big numbers (%) are always more impressive than smaller numbers (degrees). Jungfrau Region never used to crow about slope angles on their piste map, but sure enough the numbers have started creeping in over the past couple of seasons.
snow report
For cycling walking and uphill skiing, % is the easiest measure - you can look at your map and see that over 1km you have to climb 150m (say) so 15%, and you know how steep that is. Not so easy to convert it into sin so 1 in something.
snow report
So it looks like my maths are correct 35o... thanks everyone for your contributions - however it seemed an awful lot steeper than that!

Maybe an optical illusion, but standing on the ledge, looking down, or even standing at the bottom, looking up, it seemed more like 60o.

The consensus seems to be that skiing anything greater than 45o is probably a no no for most skiers, but if you make a 45o degree angle - it doesn't seem that steep?
latest report
There is definitely an optical illusion element at play with slope angles, mostly because it doesn't always register that 90 is vertical. Beyond 45 degrees you are basically in free fall, there is very little you can do to stop gravity. That's the sort of terrain where if your edges slip you better pray you don't end up sliding off, or into anything! 60o must be close to unskiable unless over a very small stretch to get back to reality. Snow wouldn't even stick to it.
snow report
@andy, +1 for Sheldon
latest report
@shockingmoment, 35 degrees looks steep because it is. The Idwal slabs, a popular rock climbing area are only 50 degrees and when you are 150m up and look down it is pretty scary.
snow conditions
@johnE, hardly. The Idwal slabs is the least scary place I've ever climbed.
latest report
@DJL, Years ago I did tennis shoe, found no places for runners or a stance (I think I was off route). I ran out of rope. Since we were climbing as two teams I asked the second team to tie their rope to mine so I could continue. I was pretty scared. Have you seen the famous sheep video?
http://youtube.com/v/1m2HJpGtv70
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sheep video Shocked I guess they should have worn rock shoes.

Tennis shoe is far from the shallowest angle on there and pretty polished as I recall (though it was a lot of years ago >25). A proper route with a long runout and no runners would be scary!

I was thinking of the classic easy routes up the middle (Ordinary, Faith , Hope, Charity) where we used to take first timers on the University Freshers' climbing trip.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Sheep video Shocked I guess they should have worn rock shoes.

But sheep got rock shoes, they are all born with. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy