Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best booze stop Calias to Mayrhofen. Now needing bonus travel advice

Poster: A snowHead
Leaving Glasgow for the mammoth drive to Mayrhofen Friday, driving thruogh France into Gemany then past Innsbruck to Mayrhofen. I was wondering if anybody had any top tips for stopping to load up with grog for the week?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-03-16 13:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@scotspikey, cheapest booze is in Luxembourg, even the motorway services sell it by the case &/or crate
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm, route doesn't take us through Luxemburg.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@scotspikey, route Calais - Mayrhofen wouldn't normally take you past Innsbruck either.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assumed the route would have been via Luxembourg, or if not, via Metz. Turn off at Ulm and over the whatever pass it is to (near) Innsbruck?

I'd go via Luxembourg.

Blimmin' long drive though. I'd be wanting to stock up on coffee, not booze.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy, I would guess you would want to just head towards Munich and then down the A8 / A93 / A12 to Kufstein -> Zillertal turnoff. But I suppose there are other ways of doing this.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steilhang, that's the way I usually go. The pass was slightly more scenic, technically shorter, but certainly no quicker. But then the border is in a tunnel under a mountain, so no police/border control on the way back in to Germany Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The route via Luxemburg takes us through Belgium, I just thought the borders there might be a bit of a ballache at the moment>
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a massive supermarket in Ulm quite close to the motorway - I think it's an Edeka? - if you are after beer. But Luxembourg will definitely be cheapest. The shops in the valley aren't actually too bad - there is a Hoefer (Austrian Aldi) on the way up as well as an MPreis, and there's an MPreis on the upper side of Mayrhofen as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@scotspikey, My advice is to 100% go via Belgium and Luxembourg - massively cheap fuel (and booze!!) in Luxembourg and also avoids the pricey tolls in France.

When I drive from the UK we have never had to stop at a border between France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany or Austria except when there is traffic on the motorway. In my experience with the Schengen Area it's pretty much like driving on the A1 from England to Scotland as in you just keep on driving, so I wouldn't expect any difficulties.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you do go round by Munich and Kiefersfelden you may well find a queue for the border entering Germany on the way back - we did in January, but it was very easily avoided by leaving the Autobahn, driving through Kufstein and Kiefersfelden, and rejoining once in Germany.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AthersT, currently there are stronger controls entering France, Belgium and Germany at some points. The border controls on the German borders are primarily aimed at slowing down the passage of refugees entering illegally, so are less strict on the borders with France and Belgium. The Belgian and French controls seem a little bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted The checks on the entry points from Austria and Italy have actually turned up quite a few people smuggling gangs out of Turkey and the Balkans as well as illegal weapons, explosives and information about terrorist cells in France and Belgium. Just before the attacks in Paris several vehicles were stopped heading towards some of the addresses involved in the Paris attacks preventing both participants and weapons getting there. The sat-navs and mobile phones also gave the security forces lots of intell. Early last week a car load of weapons was stopped near Rosenheim (with Belgium plates) but driven by Kosovars known to the authorities apparently as having links to organised crime gangs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're on the way back from the Ski Amade'ish area at the moment and the traffic / queue for the border near Salzburg into Germany took a very long time on the morning of Easter Monday. No one actually stopping, just a lot of traffic funnelled in to a small area and people slowing down to have a look as far as I could tell. We left Mauterndorf at 10am and arrived at stopping point #1 Strasbourg at 7pm.

Today was Strasbourg to Douai - and while the tolls weren't much fun the journey was much much smoother. Our dodgy car won't go much faster than 120km/h anyway so rather glad not to be on German motorways with people flying past!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi we are doing london to ellmau next jan any idea of the toll charges and will we need a vignette?
Any advice helpfull
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@leferret, depends on the route you take, but if going via Belgium/Luxembourg there shouldn't be any toll charge. I think you can get away without a vignette by not driving on motorways, but it's probably worth getting one so that you can just in case. A ten day one costs €8.80
snow report
@hammerite, @leferret, to be honest as Ellmau is THAT close to the border at Kufstein/Kiefersfelden you don't need a Vignette, unless you are going to jump on the motorway towards Worgl/Innsbruck or decide to go alot further east and get on the motorway past St Johann im Pongau you will be fine.

Also there are no tolls for the Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany/Austria route plus v.Cheap fuel in Luxembourg (around 1euro for a litre of Petrol - 0.85 for diesel).
snow report
@AthersT, that only applies if you avoid the Austrian motorways completely! The rule about being allowed to drive as far as the first Kufstein exit on the A12 no longer applies. You need a vignette, end of. What's more they now have an automatic camera set up at the Kustein Süd exit that will film you and send you a bill automatically. Friend of a friend had her husband in Kufstein Hospital recently and was unaware of the new rule, so drove over three times in a row. Ended up with a bill of €390 Sad
snow report
@Steilhang, wow, so where the 93 from Germany changes to the A12 you can't just jump off motorway onto the small road (175?) and drive through Kufstein then onto the 173 to Ellmau? If so, you would just leave the motorway at Kiefersfelden and drive on the Kufsteinerstrasse across the border and then drive through Kufstein onto the 173. But that could be confusing especially if your driving through the area for the first time. When did they introduce this?
ski holidays
@AthersT, you have to leave the motorway before the border at Kiefersfelden ( Exit 60 on the A93 I think ). You then follow the 171 & 173 to Ellmau. Obviously these roads can get quite jammed up with others avoiding the vignette...
ski holidays
If you've got a car while there it's worth £5 just in case you want to visit anywhere else.
snow conditions
Was going to from calais reins,metz then belgium,germany austria by sound of things tolls wont be too much.
Thanks all for advice
snow conditions
@leferret, you back track going via Metz. Far easier to avoid all the French tolls by going Calais to Dunkirk then A25 to Lille. Then following the southern route across Belgium, passing Mons Charleroi then turning south on the A4 near Namur. Fill up at the massive service area at the Aire de Berchem just south of Lux City. Then swing east towards Germany where you join the A8 at Parl/Schengen. After that you have a wide variety of routes depending on weather and traffic. I choose to link via the B10 Pirmaesms to Landau on the Speyer before picking up the A8 again near Karlsruhe. Then it is a steady plod southeast to Munich then swing into Tirol at Rosenheim. I do it on my own stopping near Merzig these days. Others do it stopping off en route if you want to.
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, awesome many thanks !! we will be driving through night what travel time you predict?
ski holidays
@leferret, I've done it in the past in about 9 hours nding stops for fuel (me). Best ever time was from Munich to Dunkirk, non-stop in daylight in just under 11 hours cding a long stop for lunch
snow conditions
France has nicer, emptier roads. Belgium roads are hugely overcrowded. And the autobahn is full of nutters driving very quickly. I'd personally go through France to Strasbourg and pay the extra, but I know not everybody would agree...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy