Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private lessons at Chill Factore. They must be having a laugh

Poster: A snowHead
We are heading to Chill Factore in May with my son for the GBR Indoor Series racing. As Mrs Gaza doesn't want to be left out of our skiing trips (not racing I hasted to add Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ) she has suggested that she may have a private lesson to see if she can overcome her fears. Looking at the Chill Factore website a 50 minute private is £120 and a 1h 50 min private £240. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Having read on the BASI facebook page that they pay instructors minimum wage that is a huge profit margin even if you include a lift pass and equipment hire. Our local dry slope is £82.50 for 2 hours including lift pass and equipment and instructors are paid a good bit more than minimum wage. Do many people actually pay that sort of money for a private lesson?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
from experience, if you go out of season, and book on a group 1 day course, you have pretty much 1-2-1 tuition.

that would be my chosen route
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, my girlfriend paid for 2 group lessons at the Glasgow fridge a few summers ago and ended up getting 1-2-1 for £100 for a few hours! Managed to get up to their level 4!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, if you can look at getting the missus on to a group lesson, like haigie's girlfriend above had done, but keep on checking beforehand how many other participants were on it before committing. we did this for our 2 daughters at hemel last year out of season, one ended up with 4hours one to one, and the older one ended up with one other kid in her sessions, effectively private for the cost of group lessons. they had both only done taster sessions each beforehand, but were put on to a group above beginner, their ski skills were far improved by doing these lessons.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @terrygasson. My wife skied a couple of times while at school and again around 15 years ago so she is not a complete beginner. CF do have a Level 2 class running on Day 1 of the racing so that may be an option. I might also try to get her through to Braehead but the chances of her going to Hillend are very slim.

As a BASI L1 I could unofficially teach her but the cost of the divorce would be significantly greater than the cost of lessons. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

One issue with Braehead is the rope tow on the beginners slope. What do they have at CF? My wife has arthritis in both hands and would find gripping the rope hard.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaza, you could call ahead to Braehead - they might not even bother putting her on the baby slope with the rope tow and go straight for the mid section on the main slope since she has previous experience !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaza, The Lake Louise Ski School in Canada advertise with the slogan 'Saving Marriages since 1974' Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, Chill Factore has gentle button lifts. Hope you manage to book a quiet group lesson successfully (as others have said, there should be a good chance of this in May) - I have also looked into private lessons there and was shocked by the prices!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaza, if your wife has arthritic hands she might struggle with poles. My sister has just given up skiing largely for that reason. She has given up embroidery too....

She was not impressed by my suggestion that she take up snowboarding.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, she is fine holding most things (it is her thumbs where the problem is) and it is only when something needs a very tight grip that she has problems. I know myself that the rope tow at Braehead can be hard to grip through gloves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I can relate to that. Much better have a button lift.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, CFe have a travellator on the lesson slope and pomas on the main. I teach there. PM me if you have any Qs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gaza wrote:
@pam w, she is fine holding most things (it is her thumbs where the problem is) and it is only when something needs a very tight grip that she has problems. I know myself that the rope tow at Braehead can be hard to grip through gloves.

There's a nylon rope at my local dryslope that wore through my cheap-ish gloves. By the end of an hour there my hands couldn't hold the rope properly so I had to grip it under my arm too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tamworth Snowdome - Members £67.90 for an hours private (£97 for non members)!! Hit the slopes after 8pm and its really quiet.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @sarah. The travellator will be much better. If I can't find out from CFe how many are booked in I'll PM you. What is the maximum in a group lesson?
ski holidays
Gaza: Given your location and the pretty decent snow at the moment, why not book a private lesson at Glencoe in advance of your visit to Chillfactore?

It's a bargain £40 an hour for a private lesson for one (though lift ticket and kit hire are extra).

Proper mountain, proper snow - and proper skiing wink.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-03-16 19:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Gaza, 10 in a group lesson maximum. During the season the groups are often fully booked. Sometimes off season less so, though weekends and evenings are busier.
snow report
@mountainaddict, I need to break @Mrs Gaza in very gently. Unless the sun was splitting the stones it would be unlikely I'd get her in the car never mind on the slopes. Very Happy Very Happy

@PaulC1984, much more realistic pricing but alas my son isn't due to race there.

While not a direct comparison, it is worth saying that I paid about the same for a L4/ISTD instructor for a full day in Val d'Isere as CFe charge for 1h 50 mins. Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@Gaza, Unless they will tell you over the phone there's no way of telling how many are booked into a group lesson from the website AFAIK.

I did a snowboard beginner day course there last summer, moving over from skiing to boarding, and I think there were 7 or 8 in the group. Plenty of attention though for each individual and it did make learning the basics fun, as you're all in a heap together...literally!
latest report
@jocrad,
Quote:

Unless they will tell you over the phone there's no way of telling how many are booked into a group lesson from

over the phone to hemel on several occasions, was how I was able to gauge how many other participants were on my daughters holiday courses, there was no change for a few weeks and I booked them on a week before it started.
ski holidays
@Gaza, @jocrad, @terrygasson, Or the sneaky way to check online is to try to book the lesson for 6, then 7, then 8 people and so on until you can't book - easy to tell home many are on the lesson with repeated phone calls Happy
latest report
It's £141 (random) for an hour's private for adults at MK Snozone, if there are two of you it's a massive £190 and, for that, the instructors get about £8 an hour. A kid's private is less, £65 for an hour or £103 for two. They seem to have a fair few private lessons so people must have the money but it's a lot of money when the instructor is paid so little .

I'd never thought about booking a group lesson in the summer, will have to give that a try, I think that you can tell on the Snozone website. Thanks for the suggestion Smile
latest report
Like your style @PaulC1984, !!
ski holidays
@MayaL, You certainly could last year. I booked a 3 hour group lesson at MK during the afternoon on the first Monday in January last year and effectively got a private lesson on a nearly deserted slope.
snow report
terrygasson wrote:
@jocrad,
Quote:

Unless they will tell you over the phone there's no way of telling how many are booked into a group lesson from

over the phone to hemel on several occasions, was how I was able to gauge how many other participants were on my daughters holiday courses, there was no change for a few weeks and I booked them on a week before it started.

Phoning CFe is a nightmare if you really do have to try one of the normal not Myers not the premium rate ones and play dumb.

Depending on when you will visit CFe they do have a ladies morning once a month so if you are lucky and I your visit is at the time this is on then this is a very cheap way of getting a lesson/coaching. Just check the website for dates, they also do an over 50's morning once a month for those who are over this age or pretty close
wink
ski holidays
Quote:
Unless the sun was splitting the stones it would be unlikely I'd get her in the car never mind on the slopes.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I hope that rule won't apply on your run to sunny Manchester wink...
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Unless the sun was splitting the stones it would be unlikely I'd get her in the car never mind on the slopes.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I hope that rule won't apply on your run to sunny Manchester wink...

We'll be fine. As CFe is right next to the Trafford Centre there is plenty of incentive for her to get in. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

It's £141 (random) for an hour's private for adults at MK Snozone, if there are two of you it's a massive £190 and, for that, the instructors get about £8 an hour.

I thought only North American ski schools do that!

Quote:

While not a direct comparison, it is worth saying that I paid about the same for a L4/ISTD instructor for a full day in Val d'Isere as CFe charge for 1h 50 mins.

Is it only the Anglo-Saxon culture that under-values the teaching profession?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i looked at prices a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a miss print. .. no way would I pay that much for a lesson... I suppose they must want to discourage 1.2.1 lessons . .. or any type if lessons at those prices... no wonder they get upset if they find anyone giving a lesson to a friend. ..
snow report
@Gaza, I have just booked a 2hr private lesson in gressoney for tomorrow £60.33!
snow report
@NickyJ, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I rest my case. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Is it only CFe or all fridges? I would assume a fridge has horrific investment/overheads.
latest report
Does that include lift pass and equipment hire @NickyJ?

I am being slightly mischevious there. I tend to agree that the indoor centres don't really offer great value for their private lessons. Of course any service is worth what people will pay for it - I wonder to what extent the private lessons at the fridges cater for those people 'with the money' who head for the 'upscale resorts' and book private lessons as beginners because they're better than the rest of us? Conversely I wonder how many Snowheads would book a private lesson at a fridge if they were priced comparably to resort?
snow conditions
@Tubaski, given I own my own skis and boots.... I'll work out the proportion of lift pass later.
ski holidays
Hmmm , just out of curiousity I compared the weekday prices at CFe of a 1h50 beginner group lesson (65) a 1h50 private lesson (200) and a 2h lift pass (26). From that you can extrapolate that the price of the tuition alone is 39 for the group lesson and 174 for the private. That means that private tuition is 4.5 times the price of group tuition. That doesn't seem an unreasonable multiple - although the absolute price is high. I think what I'd take from that is that CFe's lessons are just generally pricey. i.e. it's not just the private lessons that are expensive.
snow conditions
@Tubaski, at the weekend a 2 hour lift pass and equipment hire is £32. As I said at the start, a 1h 50m private is £240. Of the £208 differential I'd be surprised if £40 was accounted for in terms of wages, employers NIC and other costs associated with employing the instructor. I'm not factoring in any other costs of running the business as those can be assumed to be in the £32. £168 is a lot of profit on a lesson.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm not factoring in any other costs of running the business as those can be assumed to be in the £32.

That's not a fair assumption, it is quite common for a business' 'base line' model to not be profitable but rather provide a platform on to which add-ons can be bolted which generate the profit.
ski holidays
@Gaza, Yes - I wasn't making that point. I agree that the price seems high compared to the costs of wages etc. What I was saying was that they make the same money, beyond the lift pass, on a private lesson as they do on a group lesson with 4.5 people - and that multiplier didn't seem excessive.
@midgetbiker, that's a good point. I've got a monthly pass at Hemel this month which cost me 48 quid. The amount I will use that (and take advantage of the free coffee on the slope) it is not going to be particularly profitable for them!
ski holidays
Go have the lessons on a dry slope, where you can usually get an hour's 1:1 for £45-£50, then just go and practice in the fridge for the feel of real snow?
Mind you, taught a couple of kids last week who had had several lessons with us on dry, had gone and done a group session in a fridge, and I spent the whole of the next lesson trying to undo the bad habits they'd gained on the snow!
ski holidays
For balance our Premium Private sessions are £149-£169 depending on mid week or weekend and include a 4 hour lift pass, 30 mins optional warm up time, 90 minutes coaching on slope, 30 minutes for video feedback and a final 90 mins practice time. We also offer a £20 voucher that can be used for subsequent group clinics.

Be curious to hear if people think this is good, bad or average value
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy