Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why you should get your children Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Gaza wrote:
@Sitter, if you were coming down that course and saw a 6' 1" man in a bright orange/red jacket standing on the middle of a roller without skis, with his arms outstretched and moving them up and down vertically; would it not suggest that there may be some kind of issue ahead?

A slow/caution sign is fairly clear and some idiots still ignore them. A 6'1" man waving his arms could mean anything......doesn't really matter what colour his jacket is.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So @Thornyhill, what exactly do you think I could have been indicating?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaza, There are always some rather unpleasant comments from some unpleasant people, regardless of the nature of the debate. It is often the same people. Best advice is to ignore them and only respond to rational and polite posts.

For the record it is beyond me why anyone would want to criticise anything in a story about a wee kid having a bad fall.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And biggest concern as a parent isn't your child crashing, but out of control adults ploughing into them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't think it was a particularly bad crash, but understand the concern of a loved one.

I used to wear a back protector for racing motorcycles but never wanted to wear one for snowboarding even though I've hit some big kickers over the years.

I'd never praise or condemn anyone for wearing or not wearing one but putting it on the "essential" list just puts the price of getting into snowsports even more expensive than it already is!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaza,
Quote:

Before anyone says it; yes, I do see the slow sign. However, it is there to warn the unwary who may not be familiar with the course of skiing it in flat light and may not see the rollers. This was the fourth time in the week he'd skied it so he knew they were there and had rode them well.

I hope this doesn't come across as a smart-back bottom comment, but I would have thought the 'slow' sign was there to tell people to slow down. I suspect your son is not the first person to come a cropper at that point (even in good light and even to those who know the run) so maybe, just maybe, the pisteurs are actually trying to tell people to slow down. [That did come out in a bit of a smart back bottom way, but I think you understaqnd what I'm trying to say]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, I do understand. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You want one of these -
http://youtube.com/v/FgZs2dnYPI4 Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any back protectors that people would recommend that could be used for skiing and mountain biking?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hammerite, the rep at our Chalet commented that she had the adult version of my sons and she used it for boarding and mountain biking. TBH I would suggest that if you found one you liked for one sport it would be entirely suitable for the other.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zikomo wrote:
... For the record it is beyond me why anyone would want to criticise anything in a story about a wee kid having a bad fall.
No one's suggesting that children getting hurt is a good idea.

The thread title & focus appears to be about parents buying more equipment so their children can continue riding beyond their ability. That seems incorrect.

That puts children at risk because back protectors do not do what most people think they do. It puts everyone else at risk too - an out of control child on a piste is a danger to everyone.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig wrote:
The thread title & focus appears to be about parents buying more equipment so their children can continue riding beyond their ability. That seems incorrect.

That is a wildly inaccurate assumption i.e. that the back protector created a sense of invincibility in my son. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

I believe that children should be encouraged to test their limits and not be wrapped up in cotton wool. I also believe that they should have suitable protection to help if things do go wrong when pushing the limits. You, on the other hand, appear to believe that children should not. It is either that or you are such a perfect skier who never reaches their limits and is totally in control at all times. Or do you simply prefer to cruise around and ski at 50% to avoid any risk?

I see far more adults skiing beyond their limits and crashing than I see children doing it. Without exception all the children/teenagers who saw me indicating a problem ahead either slowed considerably or stopped. Those who continued unabated were were mostly middle aged men; most of whom were not wearing helmets so it wasn't that that created invincibility.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite

People have mentioned the POC one, I don't know whether they mean the VPD Tee, Jacket or Vest (or just their separate back protectors) and I've heard decent things. My recommendation would be something from Forcefield though, every bit of kit I've had a play with of theirs works well. I've got their old action shirt along with a level one back protector. They've got an integrated design now but it doesn't have the girdle with it that their separate back protectors too so I'd worry about it working it's way up (or perhaps just miss it as a girdle)...

I also have their boom shorts which my wife (bloody snowboarder) swears by too. Not the most useful think for a skier but I have managed to land on my back bottom before.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, @malk, thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't wear a helmet or back protector indoors, but do outdoors (well bp is integrated into backpack)

My 3yo always wears a helmet and is now wearing a bp since starting freestyle. He doesn't wear one for rec skiing indoors, but will on a mountain.

Amazing how all our perceptions of danger differ. Best to say each to their own, simples.

I found Tkmaxx great for the dainese bp's, kids ones wet £15-20 reduced from £80 Happy
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:

I believe that children should be encouraged to test their limits and not be wrapped up in cotton wool....

So you would encourage your kids to ski flat out past a 'slow' sign?

I've had mine in tears by taking them down steepies where my confidence in their abilities was greater than theirs....No-one got injured. That is allowing them to test their limits. Teaching them to ignore slow signs and then praising a back protector will eventually earn someone a Darwin award. You can't really say if the back protector saved him from injury. You can be 100% certain that abiding by the slow sign would have though. They don't just put them out there to spoil our fun.

When he gets older, please don't try to teach him how to drive.

"Ah sure this big warning sign on the motorway to go slow is only for others. I can ignore it".......carnage waiting to happen.
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
Gaza wrote:
@Sitter, if you were coming down that course and saw a 6' 1" man in a bright orange/red jacket standing on the middle of a roller without skis, with his arms outstretched and moving them up and down vertically; would it not suggest that there may be some kind of issue ahead?

A slow/caution sign is fairly clear and some idiots still ignore them. A 6'1" man waving his arms could mean anything......doesn't really matter what colour his jacket is.
IMO some one waving their arms in that situation is an indication that something is amiss and one should approach with caution. I am sure that any normal person would interpret it in the same way. I agree the colour of his jacket is not relevant but orange/red would make him more noticeable.
ski holidays
I find the thread title rather polemic.

If it was "Why I got my children back protectors" it wouldn't be. But the assumption that what's appropriate for one must be generalised to all is I think rather over-bearing.

I'd guarantee that if it was made the law, you'd have six threads on "nanny state".

All I can say is, in my adult life I don't remember talking to anyone who says they suffer from a back injury from when skiing as a child. And most children want to go fairly fast and do jumps in their one week a year ski holiday, more or less. So I'll surmise that for most people they are overkill. I'm OK with helmets - make of that what you will.

And I'm currently suffering from getting a boarder in my back last week.
latest report
Rabbie wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
Gaza wrote:

IMO some one waving their arms in that situation is an indication that something is amiss and one should approach with caution. I am sure that any normal person would interpret it in the same way. I agree the colour of his jacket is not relevant but orange/red would make him more noticeable.

To most people yes. I've come across somebody in the middle of the ski cross/fun slope in Obertauern frantically waving his hands so I stopped to see if all was ok. Turns out he was trying to get the attention of his mate higher up rolling eyes You're always gonna get them, the crossed skis just leaves less room for doubt. At least the kid was alright.
ski holidays
@Orange200, ..hmm..2009....actually my small one was NOT wearing a back protector when at the age of 4 he caught an edge on a boiler plate section - he went down hard on his back and was immobile for a number of days. The back protectors he has worn since - viscous polymer models - would have prevented that injury. Back protectors were unusual amongst children then, and many commented on the poc vests my kids wore. Now such protectors are common, and recommended by the very experienced Swiss coaches I know. Alex did not gain any permanent injury from his accident but it was debilitating at the time and he lost a few days' skiing unnecessarily.

The rate of spinal injury is low
http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-injuries/spinal2#koo

But if even one trauma can be prevented, then I am for back protectors. Obviously they must be carefully chosen and fitted. I have experienced one incident of paraplegia amongst my contemporaries (rugby - rare - aged 17) - it's not fun. I had my own back broken but that was an idiot motorcyclist hitting me whilst I was cycling - would I have done almost anything to avoid it? Yes.
snow conditions
@valais2, my son has the Poc vest recommended by you. We are Montchavin at the moment and my friend wants to get them for her girls. TheEvo 2 shop has the Poc ones, but one of the other shops has ones that look the same idea as the Poc but nicer colour pattern for the girls. The make just seemed to be Racer, have you any knowledge of these?
snow report
@Gilly28, hi again - no knowledge I am afraid - I would go with Poc vpd since I know the research which went into the material - and trust it. I would be very cautious of generic plastics - remember they have to perform at different temps and under real stress - if colour is an issue but them a nice buff at the same time? Best...
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
@Gilly28, hi again - no knowledge I am afraid - I would go with Poc vpd since I know the research which went into the material - and trust it. I would be very cautious of generic plastics - remember they have to perform at different temps and under real stress - if colour is an issue buy them a nice buff at the same time? Best...
ski holidays
Thanks. These ones did seem to be like the Poc ones- the vpd stuff. She didn't go for them in the end because when the girls tried them on they seemed tight at the waist and was riding up even just trying on, so thought would be worse once moving about.
snow report
@Gilly28, ...that sounds like a good decision - really good that you are putting that effort into selection of the right stuff. I'll always seek a bargain for gear (we are penny pinching climbers as well as skiers) but never skimp on safety gear such as helmets, goggles and armour...

Happy searching...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy