Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At last new Les Carroz chair to tete des saix

Poster: A snowHead
Have been hearing about this for a while........... but finally there are notices in the les carroz telecabin with a map of the planned new fast chairlift going up to tete des saix, due for december 2016

Its going from les molliets up to tete des saix, which means you will be able to get from rather large (and underused) molliets carpark straight into the middle of the massif and easy access to the top of samoens for instance, with lift tickets from the les carroz ticket desk......

Hopefully it will also mean corbalanche will have the pylons removed from the bumped bit.............
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's good news! Thanks for the update. ⛄️
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There will be free buses from the village to les molliets as well, with the two chairs at les molliets next to each other.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's good news, a quicker way back to Samoens at the end of the day hopefully. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Picture of various here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2909896#2909896
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went walking in the rain today, and so a few more views of them starting to dismantle Gentianes??

a misty view of chamois and tete des saix, all the chairs and cables from lanche chair are gone

looking down the 6 main chair

then end for gentianes?

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Zorrac, now that the Lanche chair has been removed, is the only way from Morillon to Tete de Saix via the chair that's replacing Gentiane? If so, that means that we will have to ski through the Les Carroz sector (via Gron). I hope that I've got that wrong...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rachelharrisonsmith, I think they may be doing some maintenance on lanche, there is a plan to replace it in 2017, unless that has been brought forward??

its all in here

http://www.grand-massif.net/accueil_fichiers/utnvolet2.pdf
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some info on Lanche here:

http://www.zigzagski.com/club-med-samoens-will-affect/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
, @Zorrac, @Freestyle, thanks for the links. I knew that the Lanche chair would go eventually, but I'll have a detailed read and hopefully confirm that it's going to be in place for next season. From what I've read previously, there is massive infrastructural change required before Lanche becomes redundant.

Interesting times...great to see new pistes etc. but will the influx of extra people negate the effect of the new lifts etc. ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rachelharrisonsmith, Walked to morillon today, and went up the two slow chairs which was interesting walking off them. There is loads more snowmaking going in on the lower parts of marvel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zorrac, we will be out in a month and I'm really looking forward to doing some walking (and biking) around the pistes. I'm fascinated with how different they look in the summer (we've walked in the Samoens side before and it's amazing how familiar yet unfamiliar the place is). More snow making on marvel sound good as it's such a great run.

I love seeing your pictures of the area, so please keep posting them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rachelharrisonsmith, some more pictures from walking around morillon ski area

new snowmaking box on marvel

View across towards samoens

vvvv

and a few distant snowy ones

Samoens cranes

and a last snowy one

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zorrac, the snow cannons - excellent news. We have family coming out at new year and they are relative beginners so fingers crossed they'll be able to ski Marvel. They came out at the same time last year but I don't think even snow cannons would have been enough to get it open.
ski holidays
Lift and snowmaking investments are really great news!
snow report
Warning - snow-cannons clearly have benefits but last season in January on Sairon Blue Piste in Morillon they sometimes did not bash the pistes after laying down (difficult to see in the poor light) mounds of artificial snow either early morning or, on a few occasions, during the daytime at times. When first encountered they lead to my only fall of the season whilst doing carved turns as the weighted ski sank into the artificial snow a bit and as artificial snow is more grainy/grabby it slowed dramatically, this span me round 180 degrees and a ski pinged off, no damage/injury as I wasn't going really fast. When going back up Sairon Chair after my little scare I saw a young lad going much faster than I had been going, he looked more proficient than me, went through one of these little "grabby" mounds in middle of the piste and was spun around and fell very heavily, he was still being tended to by the Piste Patrol 20 minutes later, didn't look good. Over the following weeks I heard of others who experienced falls in a similar manner to me, even at low speeds. These were probably freak conditions ie. unseasonably warmer than ideal temperatures, a desperation to get more "snow" on piste after a lack of early season snow and foggy/flat light.
ski holidays
A few updates while we are here for 3 weeks ish

The new lift to tete des saix is progressing, cycled past the lift base yesterday, lots of chopped trees and an obvious lift line going up from molliets, lots of earth moving going on at the base

Lanche chair has its chairs back on and it was been tested on our walk up there earlier in the morning

However l'airon chair has gone, and all the pylons, as have all the chairs / pylons for gentianes. It looks very empty.

They are progressing with the top of the lift and corbalanche chair top station has been moved as well,

Plus the ramp up past this restaurant has been removed (it was an annoying skate up) Now there are some large rocks instead!!

lastly a view of mont blanc

and a panorama with lanche on the left

ski holidays
great pictures. Will be in LC for a couple of weeks Sept or Oct and will try to get up to take some updated pics & post them here, DIY permitting!
snow conditions
@skier52, September / October is a super time for walks, no one here and not too hot, with loads of weird / odd/ beautiful fungi to look at.....

Thought I had no DIY............... top half of the dishwasher just ceased..........grrr

Went another walk today, and a view of corbalanche with no chairs and pylons...................

closer view of old pylon base

ski holidays
Is this where the very long 2 man with the dog leg in it?
Does this mean that the only way back to tete de saix from Les carroz is via the new chair from molliet car park?
ski holidays
@Freestyle, Yes this is the 2 man old fixed grip chair with the bend in it, gentianes and also l'airon 2 man chair has gone as well (the one over the chalet and next to the lake)

The only way up will be the new chair , which means the blue down under the bridge may be a bit busy.
snow report
Good point. I've seen many an 'end of the day tired legged' skier have a wobble at that point on the piste 🙈
ski holidays
Ps. Great photos btw!
ski holidays
Zorrac wrote:
@Freestyle, The only way up will be the new chair , which means the blue down under the bridge may be a bit busy.

That could be an understatement especially if conditions are poor.
snow report
Some pictures of the new lift line to tete des saix taken from l'arbaron on a rather long walk yesterday (sorry a bit fuzzy, as a long lens and it was a bit murky yesterday evening plus i was a bit tired after 7 hours walking!)

going up from molliets, parallel with the blue portet at the bottom and then over the road

the top

Looking at the top I think they may be moving (at a guess??) corbalanche lift over to the left of where it is now as that would explain the moved top cabin
latest report
sunset on our summer....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121060&start=560
snow report
Lovely lunch today at Lac D'Airon. Has been a fantastically sunny fortnight in Les Carroz.

In addition to the Molliets-Tete De Saix chair, plenty of work taking place on 1/ the red from TDS down to Airon 2/ the Oasis blue (next to Airon) and 3/ the blue to Les Molliets (continuing to widen/flatten the right hand side).

Good autumn to all
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So does the new chair follow the same ish line as molliets but then turn off to the right and follow the old route of Gentienes or Airon?
snow conditions
Freestyle wrote:
So does the new chair follow the same ish line as molliets but then turn off to the right and follow the old route of Gentienes or Airon?

No, see the picture and comment posted by Zorrac above on 31st Aug.
latest report
I see - so it goes in the direction of vernant car park then picks up the old Gentienes line?
snow conditions
Detailed on page7, along with various other interesting plans.

http://www.araches-la-frasse.com/DEMAIN-hors-serie-les-grands-projets.pdf
snow report
Thanks - very interesting - the FuniFlaine looks huge. 24 mins to get to the top (no snow chains required either!)
ski holidays
Some pics taken 1-2 weeks ago, new Saix Express chair coming on well, 1000's Tonnes rubble being dug/blasted out to create a straight run on Portet blue run from the bottom of Corbalanche & Vernant chairs to the tunnel under the Flaine road. All the rubble is being placed on Portet to fill in the dip just after the start of Portet to create a gentle "green" slope for the first quarter of Portet, the rest is being dumped immediately after the tunnel to significantly widen the run by filling in the "usually hidden gulley to the left. Not obvious how to add pics, I'll have to investigate. Just read FAQ's, snowheads does not allow pics a to be added from my pc, sorry, you'll just have to imagine the photos!
ski holidays
@skier52,

Yep, I get what you mean. Hopefully the Portet will be a bit more user friendly now. This will also be good when the Courbalanche shuts because of the wind, as it will be easier to head to the new Saix lift. That was a bit of a pain before, but should hopefully make that a bit better now.
snow report
@skier52, Improving Portet may also take some traffic off of the bottom pitch at Marmottes.
snow conditions
http://summer.grand-massif.com/news/actu-nouveautes16-17-EN

A few bits and bobs here.
latest report
I think removing l'airon is a real shame as that gave an option for doing laps in the l'airon bowl while still staying high. I hope they put something in to replace.
ski holidays
Garioch wrote:
I think removing l'airon is a real shame as that gave an option for doing laps in the l'airon bowl while still staying high. I hope they put something in to replace.

Agree, snow on Chamois often good for longer into the day as it is not a busy piste, but I don't think they will put in an alternative. I share concerns that the run down to Molliets (oops, force of habit, I of course mean Carroz 1500!) will be much busier and as it gets a lot of artificial snow put on it, conditions underfoot will not often be very good. At least we have got a new lift which should cut to time to get from Carroz 1200 to Flaine DMC to 30mins or less now, I'll be timing it! Hope we get better snow this coming season.🙂
latest report
skier52 wrote:
Some pics taken 1-2 weeks ago, new Saix Express chair coming on well, 1000's Tonnes rubble being dug/blasted out to create a straight run on Portet blue run from the bottom of Corbalanche & Vernant chairs to the tunnel under the Flaine road. All the rubble is being placed on Portet to fill in the dip just after the start of Portet to create a gentle "green" slope for the first quarter of Portet, the rest is being dumped immediately after the tunnel to significantly widen the run by filling in the "usually hidden gulley to the left. Not obvious how to add pics, I'll have to investigate. Just read FAQ's, snowheads does not allow pics a to be added from my pc, sorry, you'll just have to imagine the photos!

Disclaimer - I'm aware this makes me look like I spend too much time looking at these things.

http://forum.grand-massif.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3062&start=100

This seems to suggest that, at the bottom of the first section on Portet, where the run turns a corner and winds through the trees, that is being cut out and straightened, which would be good. At least, that's how I'm seeing the pictures that were uploaded on 23 October.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy