Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The First Skis You Owned

Poster: A snowHead
Rossignol 4S and Salomon 747's and boots? SX91's and way too advanced for my ability at the time but they were an end of season bargain and I loved them. I still think the 4S is a great ski. They'll be 20 on their birthday!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimy. This is a walk down memory lane.

1980s
K2 612s with look bindings
1990s
Atomic ARCs with solomon 647 bindings
Volkl P9s (3 pairs) with marker M48 R bindings
K2 Velocitys with marker M48 R bindind
Solomon Force 9-3S (these were a pile of crap) with 914 bindings
2000s
K2 union (gave snowboarding a couple of years)
Scott P3s with Marker 1400 free bindings
Volkl Karmas
Lots of Icelantic Skis
Lots of High Society Skis
Lots of Vist Skis

Now........Whitedotfreeride skis Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-11-08 22:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick'n'kim, the $s was a good ski, but only in its day and rapidly overwhelmed by the 7S. A totally different marmite des poissons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 SLC 200cm with Tyrolia 490d bindings

ahh yes

1. K2 CDS 195cm with Marker M48 rental bindings - bought ( in decent nick) ex-demo in Courchevel when I worked a season in 1993-94
2. K2 SLC 200cm with the recycled markers - bought when on holiday in Tahoe in 1995 - the CDS's, which had been abused horribly over a season, started flapping and one tip pointed up in the air - time to replace them. The SLCs were much stiffer!
3. Atomic BetaRide 9.22 (original red ones before they called them R9s) 180cm - treated myself to some new-tech skis at the ski show in 2000. Finally got rid of the markers for some sollys. Wow - immediately ski better in every way except, perhaps, fall-line bumps.
4. Stockli Stormrider XL 174cm - bust an edge out on the Atomics and though repairable use it as an excuse to splash the cash on the red and blue flame XLs in Courchevel 2004. Quality in every way. Expect these to be my everyday ski for some years.
5. Just bought a pair of used Atomic REXs 184cm on Ebay for £35 plus postage. Plan to mount these with Fritschis and use them for touring and deep powder days. Haven't unwrapped them yet so can't be sure about condition but assuming they are OK reckon I got a bargain.

thats all
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How much have skiis changed over the last 10 tears then guys and can we expect similar ammounts of change in the next 10 or so years?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry, last 10 years? Quite a lot, maybe less than you'd think, they still do the same job, the same way, just more efficiently. How much will they change, again maybe less than you'd anticipate. After all, a ski is defined by what it does and how it does it. Make it much fatter than we're seeing and mount the bindings sideways and you no longer have a ski, it's a snow board.

I reckon there'll be a retro back lash to narrower, longer skis that you actually have to have skill with to ski powder. That's why they call me the eternal optimist.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First: Tecno Pro. Don't recall the model, but they were bought in Aviemore. A quick google shows that they still make skis!

Currently: K2 Apache Recon, and Head iSL - depending on what I'm doing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I reckon there'll be a retro back lash to narrower, longer skis that you actually have to have skill with to ski powder. That's why they call me the eternal optimist.

you must be because its not going to happen - just like we won't see a retro backlash to cars without power steering, wooden tennis rackets, wooden shafted golf clubs, etc. Wider skis make skiing more fun for most people. They are here to stay. However inconvenient that is for people who worked out how to ski powder on skinny skis and see the mountain getting tracked out even faster than it used to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, first pair, don't know the name 1971, Red (to go faster) made of wood and I think with cable bindings

Since then

1994 ish Rossignoll DV6s

1999 Head Cyber 28X

2004/5 Head GSi RD
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster, no, no, really, in exactly the same way that there's a faction of snowboarders moving back to skiing (convenience and challenge) and the resurgence of telemarking (convenience and challenge) phat skis will go the way of mono skis (easy in powder and off piste) and Ski Evolutif (easy).

Maybe I just need to buy my own ski mountain and ban fatties?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renry, I've heard that several manufacturers are working on computerised skis and also that there's a strong research movement into "intelligent" metals and their use in ski construction.

The biggest difference is that now (with modern materials) we can have a ski that's both longditudinally flexible and torsionally rigid - that's a revolution!!!

David Murdoch, You gotta try my Zags when (if) you come out. Really quite impressed (still like my darling Fischers best though). Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread was so interesting and brought back so many memories I had to register. Here's my list.
1976 first skis Head Targa 170 solomon 444 bindings
1977 Hexcel Hexcelerators Hanson boots (remember spraying your feet with silocone to get your feet in the rubber-yes rubber liner)
1979 Hexcel Sundance 190
1980 Hexcel split tail 203
early 80's Rossi Sm 210, K2 712 205, K2 812 210
mid 80's K2 VO slalom - Stiff as a 2x4, but when you were on 'em they'd squirt out of the turn so fast it'd make your head spin.
Volkl Renntiger R 200 Ess bindings. (Remember the Nava bindings? Had a pair of those too
Dynamic VR27 SL 200, VR27 GS 210, VR27 Downhill 215 Couldn't wait to get these on a mountain! Took 'em to White Face and scared myself so bad I got rid of them. (For those who have never skied a true downhill ski they are so stable you do not realize how fast you're going 'till you try to shut them down.)
Late 80's through mid 90's Fischer world cup sl, Volkl P9 GS, Loved both pair so much I skied them until they came apart...and then some.
Quit skiing in 1998 and didn't ski again until last year. Now own a pair of Volkl P50 F1 gs 188 and a pair of Volk P60 Sl Carvers 170. Still skiing in a pair of Tecnica comp custom foams that I can leave buckled all day... Had them for 18yrs and I cannot find anything that is as tight and comfotable.

There was a few more in there like a pair of Bernard Russi graphite's Volant and RD, but I can't remember them all or when they were. When you're in the business you come accross all kinds of wierd stuff. Anyone remember "The Ski"--lol

BTW I have a pair of Fischer Red Masters hanging on my wall that have never been mounted. Had a bunch of other cool vintage ski stuff, but I lost it in my divorce a few yrs ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only ever owned two sets. I learned to ski when they were tall skinny things and bought my first pair second hand when I did a season in 1991/2. They were Fischer 185s as I remember...

Then bought the skis I have now without really having any idea what sort/length of 'fat' skis I needed. They are Atomic SX9 174cm. Great, but too long and too fast for me so I'm selling them. Will probably just rent for the time being as I can only afford to go skiing once a year so it doesn't really make sense to buy...

I'm thinking I probably need something around 165cm...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First Kit: 1979 Hexcel Mirage 190cm Salomon 626 Bindings and Hanson Stiletto Boots Shocked
Then:
Dynamic VR15 200cm Look 77 Bindings Salomon SX90 Equipe Orange Boots
Fischer RC4 President 205cm Look 99RS Bindings Dynafit 3F Comp
K2 8.3 Extreme 200cm Salomon Integral Pink Shocked Boots
Dynastar Intuitiv 74 187cm Look Pivot Lange L10 Race Boots
Dynastar Speed 63 186cm Tecnica Explosive 8 Boots
Dynastar Ski Cross 66 186cm Lange Comp 120 Pininfarina Boots x2
Dynastar Trouble Maker 178cm
Dynastar Omeglass 157cm
Dynastar 8800 188cm
Stockli Stormrider Offroad XL 184cm Look Pivot Bindings Head Raptor RS Boots
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1980 ish Spalding red and blue, Tax free from Livignio
Hand me downs from elder sister for a few years.
Dynastar Course Team SL 170's Salamon 147 Bindings. Loved them
Rosi 7S 180
Rosi 7SK 185 Great
K2 KVC 185 Second hand from Scotland came with a pair of Fischer RC4 These were both stolen with Dad's car in Sunderland
Replaced stolen ones with 2 pairs of KVC's 190's
Sold one of the pairs of KVC's to buy new Rosi 7SK 197 the yellow ones. Still in Garage
Volkl P9 RS Super 205, second hand, Hard work. Got made into sledge for my nephews for use on the local golf course!
Atomic 755 RS Second hand, one had a kink in it. Bought for end of season rock hopping. Still in Mum & Dads cellar.
Stopped buying skis, borrowed from Ellis Brigham whilst I worked there, then rented.
Till now, just bought Pair of Orion SL Carbon, and a second hand pair of Salamon Guns for the powder.
My wife is in fits of laughter because she has realised quite how much of a geek I am...

:cry
latest report
1985 - Dynaster Visa (195). They were second hand, all I could afford, but they were mine and I was but a boy at 17 ish.
1992 - Atomix GS ski (198?), can't recall the name - hit a rock heavily, knackered after a week.
1993 - K2 Extreme (200) - excellent.
1995 - Salomon 8000 - good but bought them too long (203) PR8.
2001-2005 rented skis, took a fancy to Rossi 9X during this time.
2005 - Original Sin snowboard (2nd hand, can't recall model - 161)
2006 Salomon 1080's (181)- the originals
2006 - Burton Royale snowboard (165)
2008 Volkl Karma (185)
present day - no skis, awaiting purchase decision.
snow report
Ooh, lists. Missed this the first time around. Wow, there are some very long lists on here - some of you buy more than this in a season...

late-80s - K2 somethings - pink & white - around 190cm
early-90s - Salomon Force 9 3S - around 197cm I think
mid-90s - K2 Extreme - 200cm
late-90s - rented
early-00s - K2 Axis X Pro – 181cm

List too small Sad
ski holidays
2nd hand 185 Dynastar Omesoft with look turntable bindings and a parrot sticker. Oooooh yeah.

I must say, I prefer my Lines.
ski holidays
Right well compared to JohnHill et al, I'm in a totally different league....started skiing in 2007 at the ripe old age of 25, immediately loved it, quite my job and went skiing again on the EoSB in VT April 07, then did a season in Tignes. For this I bought my first pair of ski's:

K2 - Public Enemy's, 174cm

Now I have sold them to a fellow snowhead and moved on to a pair of brand new Line Elizabeths, 172cm and had them mounted 20mm back from centre. Heading to Whistler, Canada to charge some powder in the back country and stomp some landings on the jumps in the park in between doing my instructors level 1 and 2.

I think I'll buy some Movement Sparks while I'm out there to use for my course. Not sure which length, 17something....cm. Hopefully when I've been teaching etc for years and years I will have an long impressive list too!

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
fischer amc73s - 164 cm - two weeks ago... cant wait to try them out
ski holidays
Something Volkl, dark red colour with gray bits, popular during the Jurassic period
Rossignol 9S
Dynastar Legend 4800
Volkl Tigershark
snow conditions
Don't remember much about mine except I am convinced they were made of solid cast iron.... that's the only way they could have been so heavy...
snow conditions
Started in 2000 with a pair of Salomon (verse 6 I think) beginners skis. Took em back after a week as I was hitting their speed limit which was about as fast as an electric disabled cart.
2000 K2 mod X
2002 Atomic 9:18
2003 Rossi Bandit XX
2005 Head Madtrix Mojo (90)
2006 Volkl Snow Wolf (touring ski)
ski holidays
Couldn't tell you anything about them, other than they were a wonderful shade of lilac, with pink highlights and about 195cm.....went a treat with my day-glo Nevica gear back in the day....
latest report
I own a pair, but have never bought any Smile

I won a pair of Atomic C9 Puls (180cm, with Device 310 bindings) from the IfYouSki website at the end of the 2004/2005 season.

I've had three 1 week trips plus a few hours in fridges on them, and I love them Smile
latest report
Jeez, thinking about it I've owned far too many! okokok here goes
07/08 movement joysticks 176/gladiator 183/goliath 191(Austria season)
06/07 movement kamasutra 179/powpow swallowtail 189/joystick 176(L2A)
05/06 line skogen sprang 178(Tahoe)
04/05 movement joystick 176/k2 seth pistol 179(L2A)
03/04 dynastar bigs 178/k2 enemy 173(valloire)
02/03 rossi pow air pros 169/atomic beta ride 10:20 170's...(first season in ADH)

previous to seasons had one of the original rossi bandits x, ssssooooooo fat at about 66mm under foot Laughing and I though I was going too short at 184cm, funny how it's gone full swing now back to riding 190's again!
snow conditions
1991: Volkl P10SL + Geze G70 bindings
1992: Dynastar Coupe du Monde + Look Z9 Forza
1993: Rossignol 7SK + Geze G97
1994: another pair of 7SK + Marker M1SC to replace the previous pair that were destroyed in a roofrack accident on the M6 Embarassed
1995: yet another pair of 7SK after the last pair got too beaten up dry-slope skiing
1996: Rossignol EX's + Salomon 997 WC/deflex
1997: Rossignol 9S + Salomon S914s
1998: Salomon Equipe 9000 3v + Salomon S914s
1998: Atomic Beta Race 9.28s + Atomic bindings
2000: Salomon Superaxe Equipe 3V + S914s
2001: Atomic Beta Race 10.20s + Atomic bindings
2006: Salomon 2V Lab + 916s
2007: Salomon 2V Lab + 916s (got an Ebay bargain, just wanted the bindings, sold the skis)
2007: Salomon 3V Lab (mounted with the above 916s)

Still to own anything wider than 65mm underfoot
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
i had a set of fischers when i was 15. they were blue and silver. all i remember was that they were 210cm!!!! fast as feck.

something like these but blue and silver. i think they're still in my mums attic.

after school, i gave up skiing for kayaking and mountain biking. Only had 2 or 3 trips to aviemore and glenshee in those years where i hired rubbish skis. silly me. since i've been back, 2 years, i've had Fischer AMC79s and now have K2 Xplorers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sexy! check out the fartbags for sale in the other threads!!!
latest report
Skiing wasn't a problem free progresssion, my first skis owned me.
snow conditions
When I first started I bought a pair of MLADOST skis in Bulgaria for £30 - anyone else used them ?

2 meters long and very very straight
ski holidays
Any-one remember these "Roy-Ski" !!! Circa 1978, Then my 2nd pair was K2 610 comp (190) with Salomon 555 binding's Circa 1979.

Then for some strange reason I had a 20 year break Puzzled

2001 - Rented for a few years

2005 Atomic Izor 9:7 (169)

2007 to date Scott RCX (171) Never seen anyone else with these in the 6 weeks use they've had, so I guess they are not a popular ski but I really do like them. I was set on buying some Fischer RX8 and on the advice of the ski shop I tested both back to back and for me the Scott's won hand's down.
ski holidays
early '90 First skis i owned were Rossignol equipe 4s in 193cm i think? had hired before that
then advanced?? to Rossignol Defi 4 in 188cm that were dreadful
1998 Salomon X scream series in 179, but stuck these weird pro pulse binding on them so they weighed a ton
1999 K2 X14 in 183 had a flashing red light for vibrations Smile
1999 Olin apex NT 180cm Flashing light thing again and superb edge grip, lasted for years
2000/01 K2 patriot 5 in 181cm, (another flashing light thing!) blew an edge in tignes
2001 bandit x 177cm then bandit xx in 170cm
Sometime or other i had a pair of salomon axecleavers in 152cm with a hangel plate on them, seemed very radical then!
2002/3? volkl supersport 4 star superb things 168cm
2003 head xp60 163cm
2005 dynastar legend 8000 165cm
2006 Fischer RC4 race SC 165cm and WC SC 160cm
2007 Fischer RX8 165cm (good, but bust my shoulder skiing on them so they had to go) plus Volkl Racetiger RC 168cm (hated them, like railway sleepers! & used for 3 runs!)
2008 Fischer Kehua 177cm and Scott Rosa 178cm (plus still got RC4 Race sc and head xp60 as rock hoppers)

Favourites: 4 stars, made the biggest difference to my skiing, legends and RC4 race sc for edge grip and quickness.
snow conditions
I'd be interested as to how many owners with annual purchases/multiple purchases actually live in resort or ski for more than 3-4 weeks a year, and how many are just fashion victims/gear junkies ?

Twisted Evil
latest report
Mine looks meagre Sad but I am a gear junkie snowHead . These were over a 20ish year period, no idea how many weeks on each. Still cheaper than renting I think.

K2 SLC 200cm, Tyrolia Bindings (490DR?)

K2 Extreme 200cm, same bindings, I moved them over.

Salomon Axendo Series Pr7, Salomon bindings

Rossi Bandit X, same bindings as moved them over again.

Rossi B2 with Rossi/Look 120 bindings.

Dynamic VR27 SL 165 - Atomic bindings as it came slaved with them.**

Dynastar 8800 with the bindings off the B2

High Society Freeride 187 again with the bindins off the B2's via the 8800's.**

**= still have.
snow conditions
Guvnor, about 6 to 7 weeks a year, so they do get used
ski holidays
Guvnor, 6 months here, 6 months there, for the last 6 years.
snow report
2002 Salomon Scream 8 Pilot's 170cm - Great beginer skis now passed down to my younger bro who's just started.
2005 Stockli Stormrider XLs 174cm - Great ski but too skinny for pow with my dodgy technique, quite unforgiving in bumps (stiff) compared to softer B2's etc.
2007 K2 Seth's 189cm - Fantastic when opened up in wide open spaces but a little unwieldy in trees, big icy moguls and rocky off piste.

Next? Probably get something with 85 waist to replace my Stockli's as an everyday ski. Although everything is getting fatter these days so may just wait until my Seth's 98mm waist is considered "all mountain". Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've only ever been in one stable ski relationship. Went from a 4 day skier to the good old supernoodles... the first Rossi B2's. They've lasted me 5 years before falling apart so over the past year I have been testing replacements... Liberty Hazmats are in the lead at the moment.
latest report
First skis - Atomic Beta Race 9.22

Used them when I was 14 I think, about 20cm too long for me but f...ing fast!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy