Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alleged Assault at Northstar (Lake Tahoe)- Victim Says She was Banned

Poster: A snowHead
A snowboarding mom alleges she was assaulted at Northstar- http://shredmom.com/snowboarding/violently-assaulted-front-9-year-old-northstar-vail-resorts-property-northstarvail-resorts-protected-man-attacked-punished-causing-behavior/

She wrote "Northstar security told me that if I called police to the resort to report being assaulted, they would take my Vail Resorts Epic pass away permanently and that the police would be angry with me for bothering them. The next day, Northstar took my pass away anyway."

Many Western US Ski Resorts are on public land with the resort operator being given a below market lease rate. Should ski resorts be able to unilaterally ban guests/revoke passes at resorts on public land or should they be required to provide the US Forest Service with an explanation as to why someone has been banned with the banned individual having some sort of appeals process with the USFS?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't that blackmail?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the surface of it, what happened to her sounds horrible, but my B.S. detector is blinking. There surely has to be more to it than that. Why wasn't the man charged with assault? Why hasn't she sued the pants off Northstar?

Conversely, maybe I am just a cynic.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This report woudl suggest there is indeed more to the story, but the exact details are still unclear:

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/mother-assaulted-at-northstar-resort
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Violently assaulted! I can't even tell which eye she got whacked in.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots more to this - Fairwages, would you stand idly by if this were happenng ? I doubt everyone in that lift line would.

Strange theres not been any video footage of it occurring ? Most folks there would be carrying a mobile and someone always videos this sort of stuff to post.

@fixx, Read that last night, they can sniff out a good story Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd keep the bunnies somewhere very safe...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always two sides to every story, I'd imagine she wasn't quite as innocent as she made out. Regardless of that, there's no excuse for hitting anyone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drama queen who knows how to pull all the mumsnet sympathy strings and is more upset about losing her pass than the actual pain of the "assault". That's my bet reading between the lines. Men punching out women in public usually don't result in zero witnesses coming forward on behalf of the Vic.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Posted another thread on a US ski site regarding what people think about the resorts power to ban a guest from publicly owned land (like many of the Colorado resorts are located on)? The moderators shut that part of the thread down, but its always interesting to see what the Euros (or maybe ex-Euros, depending on how your vote goes) think.

Should resorts operating with term Special Use Permits be able to ban a US citizen from multiple National Forests without some appeal process to the US Forest Service?

How does it work in Europe? I know that in many cases, it is not a single company or land owner involved with a single resort.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fairwages wrote:

How does it work in Europe? I know that in many cases, it is not a single company or land owner involved with a single resort.

If you infringe the rules, you can be banned from using the lifts. There's no way anyone could be banned from the mountains in Europe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@telford_mike, +1. As I understand it, she is not banned from the publicly owned land she has merely had her lift pass revoked.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think what a lot of people here are missing is the attitude and behaviour of the man. In Europe the Alpha Uber Male is a rare and often derided beast . . . here, it's a not insignificant part of any activity that involves competition - or self aggradisement. The American male can truly regress to less than bestial when confronted by a woman he deems as not attractive enough for his ego.
I've experienced this in person and I read her text as quite mild in comparison.

It's not anger . . . it's (self)entitlement . . . Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.northstarcalifornia.com/northstar-experience/about-us/guest-letter-3.24.16.aspx

I don't understand why a resort management would take it on itself to decide the rights and wrongs of an assault. That, surely, is a matter for the police and ultimately the legal system.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The who,e things smells very fishy indeed and without the other side of the story I wouldn't trust her story very far. I have to say I was impressed by her ability to remember, word for word, every second of the altercation.

As for what would happen in Europe and the resort's ability to ban people, I think the comment above is right. You probably can't ban people from publicly owned land but you can certainly ban them from the lifts. AFAIK that's what they have done. It's her lift pass they have withdrawn.

I'm not suggesting that the resort handled it sensibly, whatever the truth, but I remain deeply sceptical of the story as presented to us.
ski holidays
The whole things smells very fishy indeed and without the other side of the story I wouldn't trust her story very far. I have to say I was impressed by her ability to remember, word for word, every second of the altercation, especially as the alleged assault happened a month before she posted her account on her blog.

As for what would happen in Europe and the resort's ability to ban people, I think the comment above is right. You probably can't ban people from publicly owned land but you can certainly ban them from the lifts. AFAIK that's what they have done. It's her lift pass they have withdrawn. Then again, the Forestry Service had given the resort operator certain rights over the land in exchange for rent, and the resort operator goes to considerable expense to maintain the slopes and the half-pipes etc. so perhaps it is reasonable they should be able to ban whoever they like from the land too.

Just found this update:
'According to the statement she gave to deputies, the brouhaha started when someone allegedly rode close to Muresan-Foster’s son. She confronted the man, yelling at him. She told officers he then bumped her with his chest. She slapped him. He punched her in the left eye. She declined medical attention'
http://www.laketahoenews.net/2016/03/northstar-guest-180-degrees-apart-on-assault/
latest report
So she went nutso crazy beatch on him. He stood his ground. She slapped him only then did he apparently retaliate. If he did hit her she didn't need med attention and the best photo she can post of the "injury just shows a slightly zitty forehead. Yet a priceless number of comments on her blog maintain this is a serious assault recommend biycotts , during and scream out anyone who attempts to post a counter view. Hmmm.. Hope VR clean her out for defamation.
latest report
She has form for losing it. Some pet shop that she used to spend $2500 a year at on her 22 cats would not put a missing poster up was put on a boycott list.

Without an independent witness ( not the slightly fishy one) or a video it's he said/ she said. Seems lots of hate for North* on all the posts.
snow conditions
[quote="foxtrotzulu"] Then again, the Forestry Service had given the resort operator certain rights over the land in exchange for rent, and the resort operator goes to considerable expense to maintain the slopes and the half-pipes etc. so perhaps it is reasonable they should be able to ban whoever they like from the land too.

/quote]

Yours is definitely one position but the Ski Area Special Use Permit that you indirectly refer to does say:

I F. Area Access. Except for any restrictions as the holder and the authorized officer may agree to be necessary to protect the installation and operation of authorized structures and developments, the lands and waters covered by this permit shall remain open to the public for all lawful purposes. To facilitate public use of this area, all existing roads or roads as may be constructed by
the holder, shall remain open to the public, except for roads as may be closed by joint agreement of the holder and the authorized
officer.

IV B. Equal Access to Federal Programs. In addition to the above nondiscrimination policy, the holder agrees to insure that its
programs and activities are open to the general public on an equal basis and without regard to any non-merit factor.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/special-use/forms/new-forms/fs-2700-5b.pdf
snow report
Fairwages - What I think it has shown us Europeans is, having read the complainants forum post and a few of the comments, is that they're all completely bonkers, litigious, and unable to make a balanced assessment of the claims and counter claims without resorting to vitriol.

For the record I've skied at vail and wasn't attacked, thought it all very civilised, but was bemused to be asked for identification in a bar as a 33 year old.
ski holidays
Csb123 wrote:

For the record I've skied at vail and wasn't attacked, thought it all very civilised, but was bemused to be asked for identification in a bar as a 33 year old.

Just a bartender trick to flatter you for better tips wink
latest report
I recall being unprepared for the prices and needing to scrounge off a mate to cover the round. The tip was minimal.
ski holidays
Csb123 wrote:
I recall being unprepared for the prices and needing to scrounge off a mate to cover the round. The tip was minimal.
Of course, that's a fairly rare concept in Europe too ...... Tipping bar staff.
snow report
Csb123 wrote:
Fairwages - What I think it has shown us Europeans is, having read the complainants forum post and a few of the comments, is that they're all completely bonkers, litigious, and unable to make a balanced assessment of the claims and counter claims without resorting to vitriol.

I definitely think these types of situations are the exception, not the rule at US ski resorts...for the most part people are happy to be on holiday and more easy going and friendly than when they are at home. The locals at many mountain towns also tend to be more laid back, but of course there are exceptions.

I don't pretend to know the true facts of this case, but of course, we can come up with many speculative theories. The alleged victim may be making up larger parts of her story to cover up the fact she ran into him by mistake, slapped him or got overly aggressive in protecting her son. Its also possible that the guy might not have been in his right mind and/or have a sense of entitlement at Northstar (close friends that work there and/or a relationship with a higher up). the witness that came forward could be an unbiased party or have some connection to the guy (or the security personnel who may or may not have handled the situation properly). While it would make little sense for "Northstar" or "Vail Resorts" to want to handle this situation as the woman alleges, an individual who happens to work there could have mishandled it for a variety of reasons and then tried to covered it up. Again, this is speculation, but as the Volkswagen emissions scandal and many other incidents of corporate mis-behavior show, individuals at big companies can make bad decisions that many in the company would not have approved of at the time, but this doesn't mean that they always come clean with the public as soon as they learn of the misstep.
latest report
I think I'm more worried about the comments section of the blog than I am about the incident. Some real nut cases on there, which I hope isn't a fair reflection of US society, all very topical given the Trump paranoia were facing here in Europe at the moment. We're doomed!
snow report
So are we if Trump wins.

But that could never happen right?
ski holidays
Re the blog, some comments are just crazy.

I remember a saying about the further an Americain was from the sea the dumber they were, Kansas and Denver as examples.

I see Tim Allen is, so that can't be right. You can be second in command at Microsoft and be stupid.
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:

I remember a saying about the further an Americain was from the sea the dumber they were, Kansas and Denver as examples.

Trump is from New York. The exception that proves the rule?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tubaski, it's a worry, that is really close to the sea.
snow conditions
Ah, but does Trump know that NY is close to the sea?
snow conditions
Is there enough drama and storyline in this for a movie? wink
ski holidays
Channel 5 probably have bought the rights.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy