Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what are the chances of the high giving in next week?

Poster: A snowHead
looks like great conditions in the French Alps over the next couple of days but then the high pressure looks like its rock solid.....too early to say or a reality? I want some extra fresh to fall while I'm there Laughing

Chances????

Cheers,
David

1 1/2 sleeps til we go! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
Looks like something for the weekend, sir, but probably a top up rather than a major dump. Then fairly settled through to about the 26th.

Then major uncertainty but strong hints of some major cold as a pool of fiendishly cold air threatens to move from Russia down into western europe (including the UK). Hopefully expect some snow to be mixed in there towards the end of the month snowHead

.... and PLEASE let some of it fall in Scotland (everything crossed smiley).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers Brian, hope you get a share of the flakes !!!! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
any chance of some dumpage over the alps esp near Flaine w/c 28th Jan Brian? Out for a long weekend Very Happy

Does major uncertainty mean the various models disagree?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
would like some more to fall over the swiss alps as well, only 2 sleeps to go.............not that I'm excited or anything! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
10 cm snow in the Wengen area today
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm, looks like Saturdays top-up might have vanished overnight, no precip mentioned in the Chamonix meteo report htis morning, looks like its tracking further east and is a very weak affair

Looks like i better dig out the suntan lotion and pack the goggles at the bottom of the bag!!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
skinutter, yeah a flake or 2 at best. Ho hum.

gregh, the rough trend of the models is fairly similar, pressure builds over the UK/Scandinavia and pulls cold air down from the North East. The extent and positioning of the cold is anyone's guess though. Here's GFS for Geneva again:

8 out of 10 ensembles showing significant cold around the 29th January but they're still well spread. Compare to the start of the run, in the reliable timeframe, where the ensemble members are tightly clustered.

For those not familiar - ensembles show multiple runs of the same model for the same timeframe but with the input data modified to reflect the possible range within the accuracy of the measurements taken. The unmodified (operational) run is the thick blue one. The white one is the mean of the ensemble members and the thick red one is the 30 year average.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, that's a shame. The different runs where showing more snow on the 21st (up to 10-15cm) until today's ensemble. Guess we'll have to make do with the snow from earlier this week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for sharing that, interesting indded. Yeah that snow has definately vanished....i was looking forward to getting through the door on saturday afternoon and then awaiting the arrivial on the fresh stuff Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at some forecasts they are predicting the extreme cold from the east to move towards the Alps region late next week. When this happens, does it tend to bring snow along with it or just really cold temperatures?
I'm just an amateur at this weather game but learning fast since booking the holiday wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

does it tend to bring snow along with it or just really cold temperatures?

probaly just really cold temperatures, by the look of it, but a bit colder would be good - it is very warm at the moment and this snow which fell earlier this week is going to have to last a long time. In present temperatures it will be melting fast. But I don't like the sound of that very cold air mass, better invest in a fleece balaclava.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
stu20vt, the cold air mass itself is likely to be fairly dry but what you're really looking for are cold/warm air boundaries. So something like this (these charts are almost 10 days away so very unlikely to be correct in any detail but they illustrate the possibilities):

The cold air mass is centred over Poland, extending over the Alps. The low pressure over Sardinia can bring milder moist air towards the cold and the result is some lovely snow:

... and then there's always the breakdown, where that nice cold air you've got set up at the surface is joined by milder air eventually breaking through from the Atlantic, potential there for king size snow events, eg.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good snow fall in central Switzerland on wed just gone, the top station at Engelberg must have had 20 cms min I would say....
And I left Andermatt that AM after digging the car out of about 15cms at 1450..which the valley needed as it is quite rocky...

It will certainly have freshened up the area...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How is/was andermatt JT, one of my places to visit sometime Very Happy
ski holidays
gregh,

You can walk from one end to the other in under 10 mins so nice and compact. Once you get into the village as opposed the army barracks and bahnhof layout you have really old and pretty village. Very attractive and even romantic if the snow starts
to fall.
The valley is exposed to winds and this will aftect the Gemstock skiing which is the lift everyone uses. I didn't try the other lift system on the other side or get down to Sedrun or Disentis which are drivable. Sedrun is on the same ticket I believe.

The usual thing when we got there was that the snow was the worst for eons, etc etc. This is in some way explained because the
locals wouldn't dream of skiing on the crap that we might so we took this with a pinch of salt. But because of the exposed valley wind does affect the snow and the Gemstock is quite rocky so needs the cover. we got down to the valley easily enough though not on the pisted runs which were rocky.
Lots of nice looking jaunts off the back which don't take an age. We saw lots of guides from Monterosa, and even one we used there...had a good chat but the little jaunts didn't require skins and maybe took 5 hrs or so.

I would go there again in good conditions or if touring which is not something I do at the moment. I thought the snow was better in
Engelberg on the day I left, just as it started to snow and the town must had had about 15cms overnight. I would imagine that would have been brilliant up top as you would have virtually first tracks. There was no one there last week and I doubt if it is ever busy unless it has snowed and cleared for the weekend when the Italians might turn up. everynow and again you might come across a guided group and a few piste skiers.... A little hardcaore town without too much hardcore when we were there.

As an aside, so you don't think I am completely crazy. I had made arrangements to go back to Engelberg and the snow on the Titlis was perfect so not a day wasted as such just didn;t get to ski Andermatt in all its glory.
Incidently, the Titlis needs more cover to fill in the crevasses but is still worth it even if considered thin... It didn't stop us skiing it and with a local so much the better.....

I can't wait to go back....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cheers JT, so that makes Monterosa + Andermatt in a similiar boat, great in good snow, prone to wind, and not much snow at the moment Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy