Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste safety vis a vis crash matts on lift pylons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As we are (hopefully) heading back into winter sports in the Alps could I remind people of things that they should impress upon their teenagers/younger adults.

Quote:
The following day a teenager was killed when a mountain safety mattress he was using as a sledge crashed into trees on a ski slope in Les Deux Alpes.

He had been partying with a group of friends in the early hours of the morning when they hauled the mattress, used as protection around pylons, up the slope.

But as they slid down, the makeshift sledge sped out of control.

Two of the group managed to jump off but the remaining three, two women aged 21 and 24, and the 18-year-old man stayed on the mattress as it crashed into trees.

I remember this sort of thing happening (EWUSC, another thread) 30 years ago. Nobody died that time, but there were broken pelvices, shoulders and legs (life changing injuries).
Please, please, please tell the youth of today not to do this!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 26-11-21 1:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I knew a group of 50 something's who got a bollocking for sledging on a stolen bar table in Sauze D'Oulx. No injuries mind, but I think their ambition was limited to the nursery slopes...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got overtaken at speed by a pylon protector which had broken free in high wind/snow/low visibility a few years ago. Scared the s**t out of me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At a certain university event in the early 90's one student died from crashing into the pylon they had taken the matress from!.....the same evening, one matteress hit the front of the Hotel du Golf with such speed that 2 sets of door didn't stop it from demolishing reception!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always impressed when you see Pisteurs skiing/guiding the mats down a slope with tow ropes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm always impressed when I see Pisteurs skiing.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
Always impressed when you see Pisteurs skiing/guiding the mats down a slope with tow ropes

During Pisteur training those who hadn't worked / lived in ski resorts were given 4 mats each when we were helping the operations crew setup for season start. The rest of us were told to enjoy the show and see how things unfolded, hilarity ensued.
Our trainers thought (and I agree with them) that as a pisteur you should be able to cope, no problem with a small task like this, or you had no business in the profession Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Pisteur training those who hadn't worked / lived in ski resorts were given 4 mats each

Ha! Anybody who has had to negotiate a family of small kids through to ski school at rush-hour, carrying all the kit and probably the kids too will just be doing the kung-fu movie "Come at me" move right now... only FOUR mats? Psht, with a smile on me face, and whistling a tune; just happy nobody is also asking me for snacks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pylon mats make the very best sledges but you need to be rather careful!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lift pylon crash mats are like the crash mats at an indoor climbing wall - they are there to stop you damaging the pylon/floor, not to stop the pylon/wall damaging you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once used an upturned table from Bar Mont Blanc in Vallandry to sledge down to the next bar , all with Trackers blessing . It was great fun until we remembered we needed to stop , a mixture of safety nets , bodies and the wall of Mojo bar bought us to a stop .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy