Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Skier Killed in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Awful news:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12201569/British-skier-falls-1000ft-to-death-in-French-Alps.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, yes, awful news.
I didn't know exactly where the Couloir Rosset was, but found a video of some guys doing it.
Seems to be a slightly higher entry to what we know as the M25 Couloir: going off to the right just down from Roche de Mio before you get to the Inversens restaurant.

http://youtube.com/v/Gv3svWOZeNQ
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty sure I saw people taking that route when I was out a couple of weeks ago. It looked petty hairy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I saw people queuing to take that route last week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks very pretty
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/taZQmyrDOSg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^^

Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suppose that when you ski those routes a fall could be the end. A risk you have to decide to take.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As above.

I have said no to a run before based on my Abilty to do it being borderline, and what would happen if I did fall over. Chicken I know, but here to admit it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That run that WG posted would be a no.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That report has a list of accidents connected only by the fact that they're vaguely on snow and that some of the participants were British. I'm not sure why they think that's more interesting or informative that an unbiased report describing accident statistics would be. Tawdry gossip mongers.

I assume that route's somewhat off piste. I don't think anyone is surprised that riding those sorts of routes and cocking up may result in death. It's kind of the whole point, actually. I doubt there's a better way to go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just returned from Les Coches after a great couple of weeks , we visit Paradiski every year and have skied the area around the Roche de Mio many times over the years. The couloir Rosset is off piste and its accessed by ski-ing down from Roche de Mio as Jonpim correctly states and ducking under the ropes to the right before reaching the Inversens restaurant.
I have skied it many times with ESF guided groups, it is a popular route for the ESF Le Grand Ski and can be absolutely fantastic when the conditions are good. There is signage along the section where access can be from made from Roche de Mio indicating that there are cliffs present mainly to skiers left before the couloir widens out. Sections of it are steep and a fall in poor conditions could certainly be deadly if snow condition not conducive to arresting a fall. Also getting out of position and getting into the rock banded area more to the right during the descent could bring problems as less open snow available to grip on
I did not ski that couloir this trip but skied other areas with similar aspect and much of the snow could be described as concretey probably freeze thaw cycle and windblown which is not great for arresting on if steep and definitely not anywhere near as soft and powdery as the videos in previous posts show. The snow condition made me decide to avoid certain areas as it was obvious that it was heavily tracked, frozen and refrozen and the off piste areas that I did ski proved to be a rough ride.
Thoughts go out to the family and friends of the person who fell, it is very sobering and shocking, heartfelt sympathy to all concerned.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The ski instructor leading the group has been banned for instructing for 3 years, has a 10 month suspended sentence and a 2000 euro fine. He intends to appeal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Three years to come to court? Is that normal in France? (I know it can be in UK)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
Three years to come to court? Is that normal in France? (I know it can be in UK)

that's pretty quick for France. You could be 5 years or more on remand for murder.
ski holidays
I think people should be taught quite early on how to stop yourself when you fall (and especially how to stop yourself if you lose your skis). It needs to be fairly automatic to do it quickly before you gain much speed. You can stop on much steeper slopes than 35º.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy