Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Porte du Soleil or Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of having a month skiing in Europe 2017. I want to have 1 resort base for the month that is a good ski area itself and also easy to access other resorts from it. I'm thinking of the two above areas as bases (maybe Morzine and Les Carroz) and am aware that from Morzine there is more skiable terrain but want to know about other drive able areas from the base resorts. Which do you think is best and/or are any other resorts better for the base resort?
Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sort of skiing do you want?

Personally, I prefer the PdS but both systems are good. Morzine has, I think, more going on in evenings, etc.

Chamonix also a good bet as that allows easy access also to 4 Vallees and Courmayeur...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has to be Morzine(plenty going on in town at night),or perhaps stay in Montriond(more peaceful). Morzine/Les Gets area itself is very good. Avoriaz gives great snow(most seasons). The Swiss side gives a real sense of travel. If you have a car then the world is your oyster. You will find the PDS with good snow/fully open is magnificent, there is real variety. I like the Grand Massif, there is great skiing to be done there, but it will not sustain your interest as the PDS could, not the same sense of travel. PDS is a MASSIVE area. Outlying villages of PDS such as La Chapelle d Abondance are tremendous day/half day excursions, plus you can pop over to Thollon, Bernex etc for variety. With a car you can have your excursions to Grand Massif, Praz de lys, even possible to try Chamonix or St Gervais/Megeve on day trips.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@barbossine, good point re "sense of travel". IME the Grand Massif is a little one dimensional in that aspect.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
verbier also very reachable from PDS for a change of scene. we spent 2 separate days there over new year as PDS snow was a bit poor. 1hour 20 from Abondance
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BARREL12, Nice to see a new face. Given you want to explore a wider region and are talking about going off for presumably day trips, then either Les Gets or Les Carroz being near to the A40 would give you lots of options such as La Clusaz, Megeve, Chamonix for example.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry duplicate

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-03-16 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Triplicate. No idea how that happened!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BARREL12, welcome to Snowheads.

You may want to check the prices and conditions of season passes and factor that in, too. The Grand Massif one is VERY good value - was less than €500 for the current season if purchased by early Dec, which included 'awayday' passes to about three other local resorts and a couple of more distant ones, which would give you some variety. I know that when we looked at a season in PdS it was significantly higher than Grand Massif at that time.

Les Carroz is a great base - only about 15 minutes off the motorway and easy to reach lots of other resorts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy