Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with 9yr old for first time - help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
NickyJ wrote:
We have just booked Val d'Isere for next Easter with esprit. Going the 16th April actually works out a lot better than I expected. Although they say afternoon snow club id upto 8 they did say that it isn't a hard limit and we could book our 10yr old in if we wanted. Though as she can ski pretty well (and has a full week in a couple of weeks time coming), we have just booked her into supervised lunches which gives us until 2pm.

I'll Pm you costs if interested?

You really don't want to put a 10 year old in a snow club that ends at 8 years unless you want to punish your child - it wont be much of a holiday for him/her.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there a niche market here for a DBS (formerly CRB) cleared, EK loving, decent male skier, whose body is telling him to slow down a lot, to mix child collection/ferrying around/skiing gently with, with some free skiing time...and maybe a bit of dog-walking on or around a nice lake? Or did someone better and cheaper than me get there first? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Morrissey, no we haven't... Just relaying conversation had with staff do pointing out it was an option for a 9yr old when Op was saying they were looking for child care options.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Myself and my 7 year old are heading to Arinsal in Andora next March.

Got a good deal with I-ski.
All inclusive which includes passes, ski hire & ski lessons for £1200.

Don't know if the runs would be thrilling enough for experienced skiers though.

Enjoy skiing with the lad while you can in a few years he will be flying down the blacks with his new ski mates only coming to find you when he is hungry or skint.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stewpot101, I didn't realise you had booked a school holiday week for that price. Wow well done!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stewpot101, my thoughts exactly. My 7 year old already fly's off down the bumps, waits for dad half way down, then takes off again. We can ski together with him and his mates now, but in a few years they'll be off.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it depends on how good a skier you are and also whether you want to ski with them a lot during the holiday or if you are happy for them to go to ski school all day. Mine started at 6 and 4 and I got my oldest a private lesson for a few hours a day. The rest of the time we skied together. I guess I can ski ok having skied since I was 8 so it makes a huge difference on how confident you are. After that they just had a couple of hours lessons per week and we now ski together the rest of the time. For me it is the best time ever. It is my favourite thing to do as a family and the boys are now pretty confident at tackling pretty much anything. Good luck and hope he loves it as much as mine do Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There aren't many activities that parents and kids can do together on a reasonably equal footing. One of the many great things about skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
There aren't many activities that parents and kids can do together on a reasonably equal footing. One of the many great things about skiing.

Spot on Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, I posted something similar on my Facebook page today:-

Quote:
We have had a fantastic week (tummy bug apart) in Val d'Isere. The snow and conditions have been superb. One of the highlights was on the first day when Oscar took on one of the most formidable pistes used for World Cup racing; La Face Bellvarde. He managed it top to bottom without falling which considering it was hard and icy was a great feat.

It is great that he can now tackle anything that I can; including a couple of very hard unpisted blacks yesterday in Tignes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gaza, Happy though not at the tummy bug. Reading the ducs de savoie reviews on trio advisor were complaining about tummy bugs, not good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, we're past the equal footing stage. We have him saying to us, "I'll ski behind you and tell you what you're doing wrong and how to fix it."
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, I spoke to the manager about it yesterday and posted this on the EK weather thread:-

Quote:
Very frustrating day for us. Oscar went down with the dreaded Mal d'Isease on Thursday night and could not stop being sick. It seems to be sweeping through the hotel catching both children and adults; although mostly the former. One of my TDC group said half her chalet had gone down with one form or another and there has been similar reports from elsewhere in town.

Given the conditions it wasn't the worse day to be in virtual quarantine. Oscar is a little bit better tonight and I'm hoping he follows the pattern of others in the Chalet and is fine after 24 hours.

I think part of the problem is irresponsible (or selfish) parents. I've subsequently heard that at least 2 kids were vomiting all night yet their parents put them in lessons and other situations where they were in close proximity to other kids. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I also heard at dinner last night that 2 kids in the same party were ill when they arrived so it is highly probable that was the start of the chain. The manager said they are continually cleaning and disinfecting and insist that kids wash their hands and use the hospital style gel stuff on their hands before eating. However, if parents are irresponsible enough to allow their ill kids to come in to close contact with others then there is little they can do.

I've suggested that as part of the Welcome Meeting they stress to parents the need to isolate kids who become ill.

Thankfully Oscar seems to have bounced back. He slept a lot yesterday and all last night and I even had to wake him this morning. He's had a reasonable breakfast so it looks like we are good to go for our last day. The sun is shining once more that there is a wee bit of fresh on top so hoping for a good day. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, not good.

Hope you have a good day today.... And very much hope you don't succumb.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@missch, When our children were eight and ten we took them for the first time to Club Med in France. Ski school (ESF I'm afraid) worked well in the sense that it was morning and afternoon. No problem with tiredness at all. Only issue to watch out for was that they were the oldest beginners by far and my 10 yr old daughter was not impressed with being in ski school with 5 yr olds.

I'd suggest Easter, if early, may be better than Feb which can be very cold. Club Med answers most of your problems if your child is a 'joiner inner' but it's clearly not the cheapest option.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy