Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Andorra resort April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, in my last ditch attempt to get a week in with 3 children on an extremely low budget Andorra is looking like it may be my only option.

Does anyone know where is likely to be the most snowsure 1st week April?

children are all beginners completed a beginners course on local dry slope.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You basically have two options - Grandvalira (Pas de la Casa, Soldeu, El Tarter, Canillo, Encamp) or Vallnord (Arinsal, Pal, Arcalis).

Vallnord is lower down, so I would go for Grandvalira, which has been showing off, on its Facebook page, about how it has extended its season (and it got a 50cm dump last week).

Any of the towns connected to Granvalira, realistically, will get you to some good snow as they all get up to about 2900m max. Soldeu and El Tarter go all the way down to 1600m, but both have gondolas that take you up to the "proper" base station of about 2100m. Pas de la Casa town is at 2100m so if a return-run to resort is really important to you, Pas might be a good option.

El Tarter will likely be the cheapest, so if you're on a low budget, will be a good spot for accommodation.

If you really want to cut the costs down, you can stay in the town of Encamp, which is the cheapest place by far (especially if you look on AirBnB etc) - it is at about 1000m, and has no return runs to town, but it is linked in to the very centre of the Grandvalira resort by way of a very long (30 mins or so, I think) Gondola journey.

Any of the places to stay that I have mentioned above have the ski school meeting points at the "base stations" (i.e. either in the town of Pas de la Casa, or at the top of the Gondolas for Encamp, Soldeu and El Tarter).

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kingofthec,

Thanks for the great answer looks like I might salvage a trip this season after all 😀😀😀
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Hotel del Clos, El Tarter last April with my girlfriend Nerys. Hotel run by Neilsen on a Half Board with afternoon tea basis.

Plenty of families staying there at that time and Neilsen catered to the needs of the children very well.

And parents commented on the value for money.

Have a look. We loved it.

Snow conditions were great with top to bottom skiing all week - 05 to 12 April.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@oldmike, check the webcams before you go, like many places in Europe this year, Andorra hasn't had so much snow.

I normally go to El Tarter which is quieter but I wonder if Pas de la Casa might be better as it's higher. (OTOH, maybe not as it's more popular?)

Good luck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well maybe a bit keen but self catering with crystal booked.
my pass and ski hire, 3 beginners packs for the girls hire, lessons and beginners pass.

Change from £1900 doesn't seem bad (as long as there is snow).

Thanks for the help everyone especially Kingofthec just need to not become addicted to snow reports and webcams now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oldmike, Webcams are fine - I'm out there with friends from the 2nd-9th.
Forecast looks fine between now and then, with some cold & snowy weather and some warmer periods too. Were doing a DIY trip staying in Pas de la Casa at the Hotel Cristina - 900euros for Half Board for four people for a week, nice hotel too!

http://www.bergfex.com/grandvalira/webcams/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AthersT,

Hi sounds like a good deal, I had costed out a diy trip then the powers that be decided I'm not allowed to drive in the mountains.

Staying at Frontera Blanca Apartments 3-10th. Me and 3 daughters 6-11 should be plenty of snow for their lesson's a bit of sledging etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@oldmike,

Great news! Conscious you'll be with a tour operator who will no doubt guide you, but the buses drop off at the very bottom of Pas, so you will have a bit of an uphill walk from the bus to your apartments.

In the long run, that's good news, as from memory they are basically on the side of the pistes, which will be pretty cool.

As you'll have your girls with you, if you want to go somewhere for a drink at the end of the day, there is a Pincho bar called Lizarran just opposite Burger King in Pas de la Casa. It's not an apres atmosphere exactly, but it is always packed between 4 and 6, and is quite cheap (with each little pincho sandwich being between €1 and €2) - it might be a good way for you to get a bite to eat and have a beer in a place that is very family friendly, whilst still being authentically Catalan!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kingofthec,

Cheers that could be interesting, already not taking skis and the kids have wheels on small cases.

With a 10 yr old who has just declared that her birthday meal will be in Burger King and how would she get this decision past her Mum I'm not sure that much authentic will be consumed during our week Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@oldmike, The tour ops will generally take your luggage up to the apartments in shuttle buses whilst you walk the 5 minutes to the apartment, so there should be no need to carry them. and yes the Fontera Blanca Apartments are right on the slopes. Just need to cross over the road and jump on the lift.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for all the info guys I've been busy pointing out positives like how close to slopes while preparing them for the living in a box experience Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sad Oh looking like things warming up next week.

Fingers crossed will just keep checking those cams. Sure if I look hard enough I'd find a more encouraging forecast.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You should be ok. I'm just coming to the end of a week in the Pyrenees Orientales (about 45 mins from Grandvalira). Yes it is heating up but provided it doesn't rain heavily (and it rarely rains heavily in the Eastern Pyrenees!) I doubt the base is going anywhere. V little in the way of non wind exposed bare patches on runs at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Relax! As Dr. Will says, you'll be fine. Grandvalira is excellent for end-of-season slope maintenance.
snow report
Cheers Guys, need a like button.

Latest I've been in the season and 1st time with the kids so keen for it to be a success.

Arghh and Decathlon sold all their goggles it's a conspiracy wink
ski holidays
Pyremaniac fab week, plenty of snow and some sun.

Kids all loving it despite one being off skis since Wednesday lunchtime with a bruised thigh and ligament trouble so strapped and on crutches.

Snuck in 2 runs on way back from ski school each morning 10cm on top of yesterdays pisted runs was sublime.
ski holidays
oldmike, glad it's worked out so well... and it's great that there was even a reasonable amount of snowfall, which is a real bonus at the tail end of the season! I must admit that I was a bit concerned that all the tons of precipitation would fall as rain (although not worried about the effect it would have, at least not above 2000m which is where 80% of Grandvalira's runs are).

Sorry to hear about the injury though; tht's a real bummer. But I think kids can have a lot of fun simply by being somewhere so different from home.

It looks like the snow gods are smiling on the Pyrenees at the moment, in fact, since yet another short cold snowy front is pushing through right now; the snowline for tonight is as a good as one finds in February! It seems that it might, just might, be a reasonable-visibility powder day on both Saturday and Sunday snowHead... I'm probably going to do Masella (just outside of Andorra on the Barcelona road) tomorrow and Arcalís (Andorra) on Sunday where the lift pass will be free to celebrate the last day of their season Toofy Grin.
snow report
Have fun,

Looks like plenty more turns to be earned Happy

Couldn't help a quick webcam look today, orange mesh disappearing already looks so final
latest report
Glad it worked out in the end @oldmike, love Grandvalira so I'm happy you had a good experience of it!
ski holidays
Kingofthec wrote:
Glad it worked out in the end @oldmike, love Grandvalira so I'm happy you had a good experience of it!

Thanks Kingofthec and all, looks like was enough of a success that may well become an annual family trip Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy